Dual sport bike that will fit my size and budget

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
The (my) ST11 has some limitations ,when turning off the tar and on to the gravel roads. I've been pushing my luck with the heavy beaST. So I've been looking out for a nice used 2nd Dual sport bike to that I can use on rough gravel roads , and take an occasional trip on
Any suggestions here , for a bike that fits a tall rider - 192 cm - (6'4") ? I'm thinking something 10-20 years old , solid and not to heavy (as in BMW GS). My problem is I can't travel around and try all of them , so trying to narrow it down here. Thanks !

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The BMW F650 single cylinder was a blast to ride, and simple to work on. I had an '03 and '05 Dakar models.
Going from an inline 4 liter bike, to this one-lunger, made me a better rider, too. Very capable bike all-round; my first ride was 1000 miles coming home from out of state where I bought it, then back out west for 1500 miles one-way. Fun bike on trails too, but then I wanted more so I went to the KTM 950.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
KLR650 is great for gravel roads, but heavy for single track. It has a large gas tank, so you can get quite a ways out into the wild. DR650 has more power and weighs much less. It's more popular, but it's different. If you want to ride single track and stay near gas stations, DR is a better choice. If you want to leave civilization, KLR is a good choice. Honda XR650 it's somewhere in between. I own a KLR, but I'd probably get a XR650 if I got to do it over. Take a look at the Honda CRF450L. If you really want a street legal bike you can take on a single track, that's the way to go. 250cc even better if you'll be more on the dirt than the road.

Generally, the heavier the bike, the more appropriate it is for pavement. Yes, you can get a liter class ADV bike, but no, you won't like riding it in the sand or on single track. A lot depends on where you will ride it most. You might check out advrider.com

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1300A
You may say I'm nuts, but hear me out. I've did a test drive for Royal Enfield Himalayan, and that was joy! Depends if you want to sport or not (RE falls into this category), it can be a joyful machine! If I had extra 5k, I would go and buy it new already now as a 2nd bike for adventures (which would fit the purpose of experiencing the journey, not the destination). I am 184cm and felt very comfortable (also standing), wonder how it is for taller riders, as the seat is one of the lowest for adv bikes.

Before it I was testing out friend's F650GS (I believe 2005), and a Yamaha Tenere (around 1989), and personally I didn't had the smile as on the Himalayan.

IMG_3042.jpg

Bike
R1200rt
Ok "that I can use on rough gravel roads " that being said DR650 and XR650 have small gas tanks but there are aftermarket tanks with a larger capacity out there. Might find a used one with one with low mileage. The stock seat might be less desirable for a longer trip. The f650gs would be excellent also. The Versys 300x, newer CB500x are not as off road into some nasty stuff capable but will get the job done. Fuel injected, larger tank, larger seat and a 19in front wheel.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
What about a v-strom,Suzuki has made them forever.VEE TWIN GRUNT.New ones come with 5 year warranty,that should tell you something.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
How about a Honda CRF250L or 300L?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The (my) ST11 has some limitations ,when turning off the tar and on to the gravel roads. I've been pushing my luck with the heavy beaST. So I've been looking out for a nice used 2nd Dual sport bike to that I can use on rough gravel roads , and take an occasional trip on
Any suggestions here , for a bike that fits a tall rider - 192 cm - (6'4") ? I'm thinking something 10-20 years old , solid and not to heavy (as in BMW GS). My problem is I can't travel around and try all of them , so trying to narrow it down here. Thanks !
Can't go wrong with a V-Strom 650. Cheap, reliable, lots of aftermarket farkels and easy to work on if need be. Does dirt and gravel roads and occasionally a mountain dirt pass as well as cutting miles on the pavement.

20160906_112841.jpgSAM_0066.JPG

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
On my sales invoice,along with free garments gps & ram mount assy.Only in Canada as that old add said l guess.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

I see you are in Norway. Also the V-Strom 650 is a great midsize bike for touring Europe on. Again cheap on insurance and and great gas economy.

SAM_4443.JPGSAM_4456.JPGSAM_4461.JPG

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
For what you describe, I would have to cast my vote for the Vstrom. There is a plethora of better off road bikes but not many that do everything reasonably well, and are as reliable, as the V.
Used ones are inexpensive (at least here) so it would give you a chance to see just how much "off road" you really need without investing a lot of money.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I also have to give a vote for the Suzuki V-Strom. I have a 2012 DL1000 and I am 6'-3" and this bike fits me well. There is also a ton of aftermarket options for this bike.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I don't think the V-Strom is as crash-worthy as the DR and KLR and XR. Those are pretty cheap to put back together. I think to make a good choice, OP has to really decide where he's going to use it mostly. In the adventure bike world, there are bikes that fit a lot of different niches, so it's best to know what your niche is before spending on a bike imo.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I don't think the V-Strom is as crash-worthy as the DR and KLR and XR. Those are pretty cheap to put back together. I think to make a good choice, OP has to really decide where he's going to use it mostly. In the adventure bike world, there are bikes that fit a lot of different niches, so it's best to know wha t your niche is before spending on a bike imo.
Or.....get a inexpensive bike that you don't care if it gets thrown down the road. In my neck of the woods, a V's are less expensive that a DR or KLR. It is hard to know what kind of bike you really want until you actually do some riding that you want to do. Once a V hits the $2-3,000 level, it tends to stay there. Cosmetics don't really enter into at that point.

The main thing is to get a bike that will do what you think want to try and don't care if it gets scratched/dented.....and it will.

Top Bottom