Dunlop E 3's

Bike
2005 ST
Has anyone tried Dunlop Elite 3 tires on their ST ? I had these tires on my suzuki gs 1000 and loved them . They lasted a long time and handled the rain grooves , tar strips , whatever you like to call them , with ease . No wiggles , no wobbles .

STOC #
Has anyone tried Dunlop Elite 3 tires on their ST ? I had these tires on my suzuki gs 1000 and loved them . They lasted a long time and handled the rain grooves , tar strips , whatever you like to call them , with ease . No wiggles , no wobbles .
You won't find them in the correct sizes to fit your bike.

Byron

STOC #
According to the Dunlop site they do not make the Elite 3 in ST sizes.

One of the site members had been trying to get Dunlop to make them and got no where.

OP
OP
Itchy
Bike
2005 ST
I sent an email to Dunlop asking about the E3's . Apparently they have no intention of making them in a size that would fit the ST. Too bad because I found them to be a great tire .

I just talked to a winger coming back from Sturgis. He just put them on his Wing. He previously had the elite 2's and he told me he got close to 40,000 miles on the elite 2's. I find that hard to believe being I just put a new stock tire on the back of my bike at 8000 miles. If I can get these for my ST my stock tires are going in the garbage. I am fairly new to street riding after being away from it for 20 years. This winger was telling me the elites have a harder rubber in the middle for long life going down the highway and soft rubber on the sides for cornering. He told me they handle great. He was laughing when I told him I only got 8,000 off my first rear tire.

I would like to know what sort of grip a 40,000 miles tyres would give in the wet. I can't even get that mileage out of my car tyres! Long tyre life is only one part of the equation, some grip and safe handling are more important (at least to me)

STOC #
I would like to know what sort of grip a 40,000 miles tyres would give in the wet. I can't even get that mileage out of my car tyres! Long tyre life is only one part of the equation, some grip and safe handling are more important (at least to me)
I doesn't really matter because they won't fit the ST anyway.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I ran a set of E-3's on my Wing and they are the only tire I have ever had hydroplane on any motorcycle I have owned!!! They never gave me any confidence on wet roads. They were extremely noisy in the twisties, but stuck well if the road was dry. I will never put them on any bike I own again. Some Wingers swear they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't like them no way no how.

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
I ran E3's on a 98 Magna 750 and it worked well. Sold the bike before wearing the tire out but it seemed to be pretty hard wearing.

It was designed for the Wing and I have heard mixed reviews of it on that bike. However the Magna forum generally likes the tire, wears and grips very well on a lighter bike.

The ST is heavier than a Magna, lighter than a Wing, I would expect it to wear and grip pretty close to how it responded on the Magna without experiencing some of the problems Wingers have. However it is a pretty mellow profile tire and I would say you would be better of with a BT020/21/23, PR2, Storm, or Z6 - depends on how you want to set up your ST.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just installed the Elite 3 front on my ST 1300, 130/70/18
I have run this brand on my wing, Shadow and I have lots of confidence in this tire, On the rear I am running the ME 880 the 50 PSI tire,,,
No problem It feels good,,
I just wished Dunlop had a Elite 3 rear tire for the ST,,
Mike
Not sure about the ST1300, but the ST1100 standards had clearance issues with larger front tires. It wasn't evident when stopped, but tire diameter grew enough to burn holes in the font fender at speed.

Seems like such a wide front tire would induce some very non-neutral steering behavior.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I have had an Elite 3 on the front of my 1300 for about 4,000 miles. I like the feel of it but I haven't had it in much rain. It looks like it will go at least twice what the stock tire did.

Top Bottom