Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

Attachments

• du_sp_winterspt_3d_ci1_l.jpg
    du_sp_winterspt_3d_ci1_l.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I hate to say it, but I bet you get more with a MC tire. Snow tires are very soft rubber compounds, add to that the fast wear from running them on hot pavement and it will wear very fast. It will still be an interesting experiment though.

I considered that Jim and just want to see what the ROF felt like. That and I found little in the way of options. The Turanza I have and the Formoza are about it so when I saw this I threw reason to the wind.
One thing should be for sure,,,it should stick well.:D

Last edited:
I will say that all of our patrol cars use winter tires year round. Sure they don't last as long, but they are cheaper. At least the ones they use. They are also really sticky for pursuit driving. The Fleet Maint guys ran the numbers and because they buy them in bulk the savings offset the loss in mileage.

Granted this is cage use but they are heavier and they drive them a lot harder than you do.

Are those run flats? I wonder how hard they are to mount. I know it was a bear to mount my CT. I think the Yellow Thing that I picked up may help for future tires. I know the wing guys have been running on run flats so they have been used but the idea is that they have a stiffer sidewall typically. Well when cornering the sidewall deforms and gives more traction. Will the run flat sidewall take away from that? Though the 1100 tire is much narrower than what we are forced to use on the 1300.

I wonder how hard they are to mount.

We will both find out ,,,if you are up for it that is.

Hey Mark I hate to say this but I don't think it will work. I followed your link and saw this...

Install Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D ROF tires in sets of four only.

Dang,,,I only ordered 1:D

We will both find out ,,,if you are up for it that is.

Open mouth insert foot.... ;) Give me a shout when you are ready...
Dang,,,I only ordered 1:D

Wait, now it makes sense. You can get way more life out of this tire by following their directions. The secret is to install all 4 on one wheel. Just stuff them all inside the outer one. Just remember once you throw the 3rd tread you are on your last tire...

Things are looking good for Thursday so I will probably see you then.

just get 3 friends to mount some as well. Problem solved.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

thats what I have on my Wing...I love it!...got WELL over 20K on the first one, Ran it through Utah for PuttSToc a couple years back....VERY hot!....
on the second one now, and the 3rd is on the spare rim waiting! :D
Let me know how you like it..., it's that or good year going on the ST soon!

Good to know you are using it Rich. Now to see if the weight difference is a factor in how the sidewall acts.

The Winter Sport is here and since I am too close to the wear bars to run it through my return from OH-STOC in two weeks I am going to get it mounted.
For what it's worth, the Turanza went 19,000 at this point. Not as good as I would have hoped, but still a good deal as compared to two MC tires. Or three if you look at 6333 miles as a base tread life.

I only have 40 miles on it but I am very happy with the feel. When I put my first CT, the Turanza on, I said" it feels a little different but not in a bad way" This tire just felt right. No twitchiness leaving a stop and turning at all. You can see the nice rounded profile so it is easy to see it is well suited to behave like you would want, ie like a MC tire. That meaning it felt great letting the bike flop over to make a turn. Before I put the 045 on the front, I was not liking the turn characteristics at all from my 1100. The 045 made a night and day difference. Now the new rear has made it feel even better.
I had sennister provide the tire changer, thanks Dave, buy the kids some ice cream with the thank you $$, and we were able to get it on with what he said was similar effort that he sees doing an 023.
The Turanza was a good tire and I would get it again if it was the only one I could find short notice. It will be interesting to see if I feel as high on the Dunlop after 20K as I do now.
Rich, forgetaboudit, gets 20K out of this same tire on a wing so I am crossing my fingers foe that or better.
I'm a happy camper. Speaking of which, come on 6/20! OH-STOC her eI come!

Attachments

• IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 12
Glad you like the initial ride. About the install. I would say it was about the same as my Hankook. 023s are much easier. This went on pretty well but that was with 4 hands and the yellow thing. We did have the issue with seating the bead but I don't know how much of that was the tire and how much the Orange TPMS sensor. The bead was hung up on it but once we broke the bead again and got it past there it set pretty easy. The bead was on the sensor and was covering the hole where the air gets into the tire. Even when pushing 60 gal of 100 psi air we couldn't get more than 10 psi in the tire. Once sorted the bead seated just like any MC tire. I suspect it was a combo of the 16" GL1500 rim and stiff sidewall.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

FAIL!!!
I don't know if the pressure got low and I didn't notice due to the RF construction or if I got a bad tire??? Given the fact that this tire works fore Rich on his wing, I am scratching my head trying to figure why this tire didn't work.
Yesterday I stopped while having big fun running ridge tops in Kentucky to check pressure cuz it felt a little off. It was at 40# but the wheel was hot to the touch. I am glad I didn't see the tire from the back or it would have ruined the rest of the day. I have to.assume there were chunks missing at that time.
I was checking pressure this midnight when I saw that the tire had thrown several bits of the right outer blocks of tread. None on the left. Faulty tire??any way, Rich likes the tire but till.I try it again and wear it out, I don't want anyone to get it based on my initial report.
I do like how the tire felt, too bad I didn't get to wear it out.
I will post a pic when I get back from Oh-Stoc.
This is the second time I've had to run with a Harley branded tire.
Not bad tires,,,just a bit over priced.

Mark, I started to comment on your thread right after it was posted but declined for fear of it sounding like sour grapes. Now I'll tell you what I almost said. If it says Dunlop on the sidewall, don't buy it. That has to be one of the worst tire companies on the planet. Sorry!

I have to agree w/DinkSTer.. I'm not a Dunlop fan. Glad you were able to notice the issues before things got worse.

Back
Top Bottom