Earbud Users...?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've been using the Sena 20S with foam earplugs for some time now. While reducing helmet noise noticeably earplugs also negatively impact music and voice quality (YMMV). In addition I don't hear well off the bike unless and until I remove them.

So Plan B is to try earbuds connected to the 20S. Depending on the 'buds helmet noise may not be reduced as much but the volume level of the Sena can be. And using the Ambient Mode button on the bottom of the Sena's cradle will make offline/helmet-on conversation much easier.

Better speakers may eventually be a consideration for local riding without earplugs but once I hit the slab plugs are a must and we're back to the original problem.

The S Plug Earbuds of Mellow's mention (and Ambient Mode button) gets top marks but at $130 (new price?) I want to try something cheaper first. Those flange tips usually don't work well foe me causing soreness after an hour or two. Custom ear molds are out. I've tried a couple as earplugs and did not like them. So they're out.

I'm looking for as flush as possible set of off-the-rack 'buds that won't get disturbed when removing my hat (a helmet liner helps somewhat) with the standard 3.5mm plug. Foam or other non-flange tips are a plus. I'm not looking for audiophile concert hall clarity but just want hear music without cranking the volume 'till the speakers distort and want increased voice intelligibility. Is anybody happily riding with earbuds that fit the bill?

I used custom Westone CR1's for years. Recently one side started giving me problems when taking my helmet on and off. I guess my ears have changed and I'm not spending the money to get new molds and everything again. I got a new Cardo PackTalk Slim and a New Shoei RF1200. I first tried the comms with the 40mm Cardo speakers and foam earplugs. Music was ok but you had to run full volume. Phone was a no go at speed. Like you, I have never liked the flange type plugs either. I too liked the S Plugs that Mellow has but didn't want to spend the money not knowing if I was going to be able to tolerate the flange style buds. So, I bought some of these to see if they would work. They have worked GREAT!. When they wear out or break, I will get the S Plugs then.

P.S. - I tried leaving the speakers in place for around town and just plug in the buds for long rides But that wasn't as comfortable so I just took the speakers all the way out.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugfones-Guardian-Earplug-Earbud-Hybrid-Yellow/dp/B00RC301N4?th=1

Last edited:
I am using a $20.00 set of Sony earbuds I bought at Best Buy. I couldn't be happier with them. They block noise pretty good. And they are loud with very good sound quality.
I have an extra set I have not opened yet. I will look for the model number when I get home. I am very surprised how well they work with my Sena 20S. I wasn't expecting much for $20.00.

(Reposting an earlier post, of mine) -

I have a hearing loss, and normally wear hearing aids. On the bike, I wear earplugs so as not to get any further hearing loss.
With the earplugs in, I have to turn up the volume on my Sena SMH-10 to max, and that's just barely enough.
Recently bought the Etymotic Research MC5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones. They have 33db of sound isolation (as much as my earplugs), so now I am putting the sound directly into my ears, getting good noise isolation, and the Sena's volume can be dialed way down and still give me good volume.
And they set deeply into my ears and fit nicely under my helmet, without snagging it.
Only negative is that they have somewhat flimsy wires and I'm afraid I'll eventually pull them out. But so far, they work great.

BTW, I tried PlugFones awhile back - they were so bad (lousy sound and poor sound isolation), I trashed them.

Note: The Etymotic MC5 phones are apparently NLA - check their website for a replacement

Another vote for the s-plug. I have tried a doezen different types of buds but keep coming back to the s-plug. I even hwve a set of custom molds made by marylin (which are the best customs i have ever used) and i still end up with the s-plugs in my skull. They are so comfortable that i forget they are in.

Another vote for the s-plug. I have tried a doezen different types of buds but keep coming back to the s-plug. I even hwve a set of custom molds made by marylin (which are the best customs i have ever used) and i still end up with the s-plugs in my skull. They are so comfortable that i forget they are in.
That's a whole lotta $$ for earbuds.....

There is an old saying, you get what you pay for.

When I was at a bike show in Myrtle Beach, sometime in 2004 or so, I saw a vendor making molded ear plugs. I was not listening to music on the bike (2003 Valkyrie Standard), used a basic Magellan GPS for navigation (no audio) so I wanted something to blank out the noise. Where I worked, we needed to use noise protection so they gave us those foam ear plugs you shove in your ears. They work but have one major draw back for me, they compressed the wax in my ears. So I got the molded ones (made for my ears) and they worked well.

They I got a Garmin GPS with the ability to play music and XM radio (if I wanted). I tired the off the shelf ear buds. Used them for a couple of years but they always seemed to fall out or have to be shoved way in to work.

Sometime in 2007 or so I saw someone on this site who offered molded in the ear speakers/earphones. You go to the Audiologist and they make molds (just like the ones I got in Myrtle Beach those years before), and then send the molds into the vendor and they send you back the earphones. The difference was like night and day.

The earphones fit perfectly in the ear, they provided he needed sound isolation and the audio was great. they were low profile so the helmet did not interfere with them putting it on or taking it off.

I have used their earbuds/phones since then maybe 10 years now.

The first sets were "acoustic" like the earphones used in airplanes during that time frame (transducers in a small module with air tubes supplying the audio to the molded earbuds)

They have now changed to a wired system.

As I said the benefits are they fit extremely well. Provide sound isolation and excellent audio. They stay in. I have never had them come out when properly inserted. In fact I prefer to leave them in when riding if I can. But I take them partially out when stopping for gas and going inside to buy something.

I use them exclusively on the bike. I rarely use earphones off the bike, generally use earmuffs for sound isolation in noisy work conditions and with bluetooth earmuffs, this is great.

Here is the vendor.

https://earinc.com/product/iplugz-gen-ii/

Back
Top Bottom