Early History of Routing Software

What's interesting to me is that roll maps are still used in certain applications. In fact, there's a whole bunch of guys racing around Saudi Arabia as we speak who have them mounted on their handlebars. Only difference is, they push buttons that control motors that roll the maps.

What was old is new again. ;)

HA! Try rebooting a computer back in the mid 70's! :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Not one person today would "wait" without throwing a total fit for their phone to come back up! :rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

Roll maps are used in the Paris-Dakar Rally (which is now held all over the world). The riders also have gps(s) but the maps warn of things like arroyo's, ditches, and deep sand. Imagine riding at 90 mph over a desert landscape and interpreting symbols on a printed map that could mean the difference between surviving the race or being a dnf.

Roll maps are used in the Paris-Dakar Rally (which is now held all over the world). The riders also have gps(s) but the maps warn of things like arroyo's, ditches, and deep sand. Imagine riding at 90 mph over a desert landscape and interpreting symbols on a printed map that could mean the difference between surviving the race or being a dnf.

When I'm traveling, I still want a paper map with me! A GPS is great for many things, but when you want to look at the BIG Picture, you need something that will fold out! :well1:

There's a couple of IBR riders in the past few years that still used roll boxes on their bikes. Print out your guidance from a computer, cut the width down to fit, tape or paste the pages together, wind onto the feeder roller and attach to the take-up spindle and . . . you're ready to roll. The really great part of it is that you can use a large font for easy to read directions.

Shuey

I remember that you could go to the auto club (AAA) and you could tell them where you want to go and they would put together a booklet of individual map strips...
They also had the best collection of maps....

There's a couple of IBR riders in the past few years that still used roll boxes on their bikes. Print out your guidance from a computer, cut the width down to fit, tape or paste the pages together, wind onto the feeder roller and attach to the take-up spindle and . . . you're ready to roll. The really great part of it is that you can use a large font for easy to read directions.

Shuey
Shuey, I remember Kries's set up, just as you described. Lots of work but the large font size came in handy!

I remember that you could go to the auto club (AAA) and you could tell them where you want to go and they would put together a booklet of individual map strips...
They also had the best collection of maps....

AAA still provides great maps and Trip-Tics for you, but it's all online now, can't get any of it at the few remaining stores . . . as far as I know.

Shuey

I mentioned the roll maps used in the Dakar Rally. There are a few pictures of what I was talking about (you can even see some of the symbols) in this short video. I cannot imagine ripping off across the desert at speeds that make my speed on my ST on the interstate seem slow by comparison. Warning - that video shows a crash and the results were not pretty, though the rider was not hurt as much as he could have been.

Smartphone mapping software loses resolution as you zoom out, i.e. the further out you get, the fewer streets you see.
errr... same on your satnav and it's mapping program on your PC for that matter...
That's why I continue to use my good paper maps + netbook + GPS unit for (serious) route planning...
(as well as my eyes and common sense while heading down the road ;))

A local off road riding club here does a trans Florida ride with roll charts. I’ve done it twice and third is coming up. Great fun. They also incorporate IBR style bonus pics along the way.

Back
Top Bottom