ECU flashing.??

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
Keep an eye out for good used ones. I have a 2004 (120,000 miles) that also had the FI-26 error. Bought one from someone parting out a 2003 model for less than $300 and it solved the problem. I think if my only option was to buy new, I would live with the problem.
It's a gamble though. I don't know of a physical test for them. I bought two off of Ebay that didn't work. I bit the bullet on the OEM. I had 77k miles when it went out, and the replacement at the time was $800. That's a penny a mile. That's how I sold it to my wife anyway :)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Be aware that there are at least 3 different ECUs, and maybe four. The 2003-2007 models use one part number whilst the 2008 and newer have a different ECU with different connectors so they are not interchangeable. The third part number is for the 2003-2007 police model ECUs that has a top speed limiter, this ECU will fit the civilian models from the same model years. Not sure if the 2008 and later models also have a special police model ECU, if so that makes 4 different part numbers.

I think the knock sensor error problem is isolated to the earlier model ECUs

ErnieB

erneST
Bike
04' ST 1300
Sorry to butt in, but my '04 at 75k miles has the dreaded F-25 error.
I have been riding it anyway, usually keep it below 70 mph off the interstate and no F1 light.
Couple questions...any harm in just riding it anyway?
I havent' noticed any noises, knocking/ pinging or spikes in engine temp?
If anything it indicates a little better gas mileage?

Other question; I have seen on Ebay, ECU # 38770-MCS- L01 listed from other bikes? CBR 600 or CBR 954?
If they are the same Keihin part number shouldnt' they be interchangeable?

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
Couple questions...any harm in just riding it anyway?
Short answer: No. Long answer: Nope.

Other question; I have seen on Ebay, ECU # 38770-MCS- L01 listed from other bikes? CBR 600 or CBR 954?
Longer answer: Not going to work. The ECM is bike specific and NOT interchangeable.

ErnieB

erneST
Bike
04' ST 1300
Thanks for the reply and info.
Now here is something "new" I found.
Apparently Honda "Jetskis" suffer from code #25 as well?
This guy claims he can fix it?
I haven't gotten a reply yet, probably due to the Holiday weekend...but I will keep trying to contact him.
Scroll down in this Ebay listing, he describes the same false sensor code we get on the ST...and claims he can "remedy" or disable it.
Sounds like he physically opens it up and is modifying the hardware / circuit board?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Longer answer: Not going to work. The ECM is bike specific and NOT interchangeable.
Ebay listing is probably wrong. P/N 38770-MCS- L01 is an ST1300 part number.

ErnieB

erneST
Bike
04' ST 1300
I have been contacted by gen-tune on Ebay, he appears to be legit. Has 100% feedback and over 600 transactions, many on the "fix" on the Aquatrax.
He is looking for a "donor" ECU and the pinout / map for the ECU, says he is willing to try to fix this.
If he can, this would be a great relief to the dreaded F1 light and Code 25 / 26.

Feel free to contact him to let him know there is a market out here for this service.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
His advertisement states;
A reprogramming service to the ECU that disables code 25.

It is not clear to me what he does.
If that means that he disables the ECM's ability to recognize and store a code 25 (or 26) and turn the FI light on, that is not the same as fixing the problem.
One is treating the symptom, the other the cause.

If it is the former, any subsequent legitimate malfunction that causes a code 25/26 would go undetected. Significant and prolonged pre-ignition can harm the engine.
If it is the latter, then that is excellent news.

Just wondering, as it is not clear to me which is being done.

Last edited:

ErnieB

erneST
Bike
04' ST 1300
Here is his proposition....might become our only hope as I just saw on the ST1300 facebok page, a guy has had one backordered from Honda for months?
New message from: gen-tune (641Purple Star)
Thanks I might sign up to st-owners.com and engage with users. Don't know if I'll time for it. If you want to be a point of contact that would be great this way I dont have to deal with many users.

Things I need:
- Donor ECU
- ECU pinout
- Wiring Diagram

I will attempt to depot the ECU and expose the circuit board, then map out a schematic and attempt to dump the memory from ecu. If memory dump is successful, then I'll patch the ROM, upload, and submit for testing.

Beta testing will be done with 5 members. All members must post results to the forum.

Any users who submit a donor ecu will automatically get my service for free if there is success.

If you have a "bad" ECU and want to let him tinker with it, might help us all out?
He charges $400 to "fix" the Aquatrax issue.
I don't have access to the pinout or wiring diagram?
Ernie

Well crap...I have an "o4" with 75K miles that just started the dreaded F1 code 26...and the question I was diggin for is will "all" years interchange on the ECU... I have found one from an "11" model and did notice the last 3 digits of the honda part number were different...but wasn't sure if they interchange...from this comment the answer is sadly no....
It's only 03 to 07 from what I understand, recently I've been looking at some of the vfr 800 ecu's the connectors look similar

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
If Woolwich Racing offers tuning then it's legit.
Tuning for performance, either within the on-board fuel map or by a supplemental add-on unit, in-lined with the stock ECU... sure, that's legit. Should anyone want to tune the fuel map on an ST1300, have at it, I bet you £1 that you'll need a magnifying glass to notice the difference on a dyno. Modify the air intake and exhaust, and I still bet you won't see much of a difference - unless you're investing more money on tuning that police departments spend on buying whole fleets.

Tuning will not ever remove any persistent fault code though, and nor do Woolwich make any claims to that effect.

Several people have ventured down the path of disabling/resetting persistent codes - on a jetski, I wouldn't give a damn about an FI warning if that's because I've tampered with the ECU.

Just to re-iterate, the only method that has ever been known to have any measure of success, if you encounter a Code 25 or 26 on an ST1300 (regardless of it's age) - is to replace the ECU with a Honda OEM ECU that has never seen the fault condition. They're cheaper on Ebay, but you take your own chances with buying things from Ebay.

Has anyone tried this site?

Top Bottom