Electric Windshield Motor

Bike
2004 ST1300
The drive gears or cables have stripped out on my electric windshield. Is Honda the only source for these parts? And how much should I expect to spend for repairs.

Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
Mine stripped out about 2 months ago, luckily it was covered under warranty. STeeler tried to link it my stebel horn installation. But in the end replaced it with no questions. As for the cost I never saw the end bill but they were hinting that it was between 350 and 500$ with labor inc. Did you install an aftermarket screen?

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
The bike has a Cee Bailey windscreen but I don't think it had anything to do with the failure. The left side has a spot in the middle of the travel where it is stripped and the right side won't move at all.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
It might still be under warrantee but I'm wondering how much grief the dealer will give over the fact that you don't have the stock windshield on it. Doesn't hurt to try though!

You could go over to Service Honda to see how much parts are.

Good Luck.

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
If you DO take it to a dealer, remove the windshield... Tell em you left it at
home cause you didn't want it to get scratched...

Putt...

Deleted member 1854

The drive gears or cables have stripped out on my electric windshield.
Hi NWKSST,
How did you go replacing the windscreen adjuster? Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

My windscreen gave up 6 months ago on my way to the shipyard to put the bike into a container for our trip to Europe. way out of warranty. We rode with it set at lowest height the entire trip. I had a brief opportunity to dismantled the front of the bike the day before we left to check it out. It seems the spline of the plastic gear/cog was worn and/or the 2 cables weren't providing a "grippable" wound surface for the spline. Plenty of grease.

Did you simply replace the adjuster motor? How much did you pay and supplier? How is it now?
Cheers
John

Deleted member 1854

Here's what it looks like

My failing gear and cables...

Last edited by a moderator:

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Don't you guys have a favorite windshield position, and leave it there? Do not quite understand how the adjustment gearing could be stripped out. You guys must adjust the windshields quite often. I don't think I have moved mine maybe once, or twice a summer, and leave it low to have it covered up for winter. Can this also be a problem of inactivity?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Don't you guys have a favorite windshield position, and leave it there? Do not quite understand how the adjustment gearing could be stripped out. You guys must adjust the windshields quite often. I don't think I have moved mine maybe once, or twice a summer, and leave it low to have it covered up for winter. Can this also be a problem of inactivity?
I haven't personally experienced this problem yet. In the summer I usually ride with the windshield fully down unless I'm looking to quiet things down a little on a long freeway run. If it's not hot out, I am adjusting the windshield height for either the speed at which I am riding for quiet, or to keep the rain at bay or for other comfort. It gets a workout on every ride during the cooler weather and sometimes in the warmer weather.

As far as this part stripping out, It's a Honda. The Japanese cut corners in places like this but most people are under the misguided illusion that Japanese products are top quality.

Ray

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I installed the Calsci windshield last year and found the motor on the adjuster was working a lot harder. I feared the dreaded stripped gear and found themounting holes were spaced a little too close and caused added stress in the track. A little work with my dremel and I got ride of the side load. So far no trouble.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I retrofitted the electric shield to my ST in 03 and so far no problems.

I would recommened cleaning the gears,track and cable every so often because the grease does attract dirt and it does harden over time which can cause to premature failure of those pesky nylon gears. This is a well known problem on the Toyota 4Runner moon roofs which operate on the same basic principle as the ST's system.

I usually clean the gears and track with WD40 and then apply a thin amount of waterproof grease, I have used Belray in the past and it's the stuff they use on jet skis.

Deleted member 1854

You guys must adjust the windshields quite often.
I used mine a lot Skidlid - until it stuffed-up. Last year at this time (about 25,000 km ago), I hit quite a large bird at 70 mph -it struck the lower right side of the windscreen. Next day when I tried to adjust the screen, that right side wouldn't shift but the left did, causing the screen to be skewed. From then on it got worse, even though I attempted to get the adjustment balanced, and it eventually froze (the motor mecahanism would not shift the cables to move the screen). Attached is a pic of the chewed out cog/gear.

I would recommend cleaning the gears, track and cable every so often because the grease does attract dirt and it does harden over time which can cause to premature failure of those pesky nylon gears.
Today Mike I pulled it apart and cleaned the lot and regreased. What I found was that the slides were stiff (see second pic attached). Both sides were so stiff I now understand part of the reason why the motor/gear couldn't shift it (causing the cog to strip out at the cables).

Another issue became immediately obvious: The black plastic piece that slides up/down the channel would not move freely (that's the piece I have unbolted and lifted up with my finder in the second photo). It appears both channels/slides were out of true, caused possibly by the earlier bird strike. I did a bit of work on them to free-up the entire mechanism. However upon refitting it all and even with the slides working well and everything clean and greased, the cables were still quite stiff in their housings. Unfortunately the cog/gear would not move them.

So it looks like I need to replace the entire adjusting set-up. :(

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
STOC #
Thank you! This is alot of very valuable information, especially the pics. It really points to some areas to watch for in the windscreen. At some point in the Spring I am going to inspect my 2007 to make certain the rails are not binding or the screen isn't stressing the mount or tracks. Makes me wonder if we need some slop in the mounting holes to allow the screen to expand in the hot summer to avoid putting stress on the tracks. I could see how a screen that doesn't quite line up with the holes could cause binding as well.

Last edited:

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Thanks for the pictures, John. I'll have to keep it in mind when doing bike maintenance to clean / grease those tracks for my windshield. Sorry to read you have to replace your setup. Nice of you to share the info, Thanks again.

Top Bottom