Electrical issues with 1300

Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Messages
2
Age
45
Location
Russia
Bike
St1300
Hi, newbie here.

I recently bought a 2011 Honda ST1300 with 35k km on the odometer. I had a blown fuse for the left low beam, and the H4 bulb sockets are partially melted on the ground side on both sides. I replaced the harness for the right lamp, and it works fine now.

However, from time to time (it happened twice in 2 weeks – the first time I thought it was the headlight harness, but the second time it happened after the repair), on cold starts, I catch a smell of burning insulation. I only smell it for less than a minute (probably when the alternator "kicks in" and charges the battery after engine start). After that, everything works normally.

I think the smell is coming from under the dashboard. I read that there's a yellow ground connector on these bikes that often fails.

Any ideas where I should look for the problem?

Thanks in advance for any recomendation
 
There are a few multiway connectors under there. I would check for any addition electrics that have been added - some workshop warriers do not know their amps from their elbow. It is entirely possible that someone has caused excessive current to be passing through those connectors. If they have added stuff and it deosn't have a spearately wired power source, then that may be the cause. But the symptoms (burning smell) will not get any better as the connection and the insulation will have deteriorated. One connector connects together a whole bunch of earths. Another connects a whole bunch of wires that feed important engine components like coils, fuel relay etc. When they go, you will be stranded. Check the wires going from that fuse - see if anything else has been piggy backed to the headlight wire.
 
Good description from John,,, regarding multi connections. Rodent nesting in the engine valley is not uncommon, as well. Mice and chipmonks find the electrical insulation there tastey !! CAt'
 
Back
Top Bottom