Electronics,..

Hello STrangers,
First post here,.. although I grew up touri g in a sidecar,.. so lots of miles yet to go.. recently bought ‘04 Blue ST 29K miles. Came installed with J&M Bluetooth/CB and prewired for driver/passenger plug ins.. Is it me or is this outdated tech? Should I remove wiring and simply go wireless? What are the advantages either way? 20 days in and 1 side of fairing motor will rise, the other will not. Any insight to easy fixes? What else should I be weary of?? Thanks for any insight!! Look forward to hearing from you all!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I still have CBs on all of my ST1100s - nice when you are stuck on highway and can listen to the truckers as to what is going on.
The intercom should work well if you have a pillion.
Beware that the headsets are expensive - and I've had lots of trouble out of the J&M Headsets.
I switched to EDSets headsets a long time ago and love the quality.
If you are headset shopping, pay attention to the number of pins in the jack - it will be 5 pin or 6 pin.
The key is do you ride a lot with other folks and what kind of comm equipment do they have.
If you are a 'lone rider', then it really doesn't matter as there are options for connecting GPS/music to the J&M.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
"20 days in and 1 side of fairing motor will rise, the other will not." Are you asking about the windscreen mechanism?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Hi @FeenicksRizen and welcome to the forum from :canflag1:

Congrats on the new to you ST! As for CB & intercom that's one of those personal preferences. For me I'd never need a CB and rarely need intercom between me and a passenger (we speak up or use hand signals) and never used bike to bike stuff. I'd likely go the bike to bike wireless stuff if I ever needed to.

It sounds like you've got windscreen troubles, and I'm sorry to report that's not uncommon. You can take some stuff apart to inspect it but it's usually a gear or cable that fails. You can't buy the parts separately, only as a set - and it's pricey. That being said once you know what's wrong and what you need to fix it, you should be able to find someone here who can direct you to where you can find parts from folks who have spares. The entire mechanism is made of parts, and most bits can be replaced - but again Mother Honda sells only the full setup.

Hope this helps start you in the right direction.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I recently installed the JM CB on my ST. I frequently ride with a group who have CB's and it is great for communications. IMO, they are far better than any Bluetooth setup I have tried. Also, JM CB has an RCA jack that I use with a Bluetooth device to link to my iPhone for good quality music to my headset. I am old school, but I think it is great. Check out Sierra Electronics for better prices on JM headsets.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I spent a lot of $$ on the J&M CB stuff. When it worked it was great but only worked with other riders that had it or truckers. However, there would always be a cable here or there that would seem to fail after some time.
I went with the Sena stuff and glad I did, it won' t have nearly the same range as the CB but you can connect with other riders more easily and it's a lot cheaper. Plus, the charging isn't as big of an issue as I originally thought, I get a good 12-13 hours on a charge and mine are I think 5-6 years old.. doesn't mean much since I only ride once a year...o_O

Bike
2010 ST1300
While you cannot buy individual parts for the windshield from Honda, motorcycle recycle yards often have the used assembly and more than one member here has found a used but completely serviceable windshield mechanism on ebay. Once you see what your problem is (cable or gear - the most frequent issues) you can buy a broken unit and salvage parts. If a track is bent, it is very hard to straighten it since its formed sheet metal, and the track's sliders attached to the cables are not replaceable if one breaks. Other than that, most of the rest of the mechanism can be salvaged.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I had a local locksmith make replacement keys for my Givi top case lock.

The blank was an Ilco 1605, and the shoulders had to be ground down up the shank a bit.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I’ve had the same J&M CB for 8 years with zero problems but then I bought their premium quality cords and headset (huge difference) I then installed their Bluetooth dongle which plugs into the CB harness, this device allows me to Bluetooth phone functions and music files with powerful clear sound. I recently installed the new zumo XT which Bluetooths to CB audio and I can now control phone functions and music on the gps screen. A quick disconnect stainless steel antenna is also a bonus

OP
OP
I spent a lot of $$ on the J&M CB stuff. When it worked it was great but only worked with other riders that had it or truckers. However, there would always be a cable here or there that would seem to fail after some time.
I went with the Sena stuff and glad I did, it won' t have nearly the same range as the CB but you can connect with other riders more easily and it's a lot cheaper. Plus, the charging isn't as big of an issue as I originally thought, I get a good 12-13 hours on a charge and mine are I think 5-6 years old.. doesn't mean much since I only ride once a year...o_O
Will Sena or Cardo connect with J&M CB setup since it is already wired? Can you just make it a wireless set up?/

While you cannot buy individual parts for the windshield from Honda, motorcycle recycle yards often have the used assembly and more than one member here has found a used but completely serviceable windshield mechanism on ebay. Once you see what your problem is (cable or gear - the most frequent issues) you can buy a broken unit and salvage parts. If a track is bent, it is very hard to straighten it since its formed sheet metal, and the track's sliders attached to the cables are not replaceable if one breaks. Other than that, most of the rest of the mechanism can be salvaged.
I saw one days before mine broke,.. now they seem to have dried up... about $480-580 new depending on which site I look at.. I took my cowl off and couldn’t make out where the clicking was originating from,.. so I’m not sure what to replace if I find another used one.. Thanks for your insight.

"20 days in and 1 side of fairing motor will rise, the other will not." Are you asking about the windscreen mechanism?
Indeed, one side will raise, but not al the way,. The other will not rise on its own at all.

Top Bottom