engine heat

On hot days I noticed the same thing. Recently, I purchased the wind deflectors for the chassis and the mirrors. I have noticed that it helped reduce the heat off of my shins and down by my ankles. Not to mention, they make the bike look really cool. I ordered them from my local dealer and installed them myself. If you choose that route, just take your time and make sure everything is where you want it before you really press them on. The double sided tape is really good so don't press it on unless you like the position. It's going to be 102 here in Columbus today so it will be a good test today. The only thing you need is a 3mm drill bit.

About half have coplained of heat, half don't... many varibles like boots, pants, etc.

If you do a search you find a few ways of cutting down on the heat... I opted to drill 1" holes in the inner cowels. This allows a higher flow of air around the engine and lowers the feeling of excessive heat... good luck

I only ever felt it to be excessive on one ride when it was really hot and while riding below 50 mph. I just got back from a 2 hour ride and it got up to 100 degrees outside. The new wind deflectors did help. I was warm but not uncomfortable. I have only experienced the build up of heat around my ankles on two rides. I agree that higher boots would also solve the issue. I've only had the bike since Feb and have about 3k miles on it.

These are a standard honda accessory for the st-1300. You may have to go to ebay,amazon.com , do a search or check with your local dealer
part number for lowers is 08P73-MCS-100A lowers to get heat off legs also to get wind around passenger.
part number for uppers is 08P72-MCS-100A upper to get cold of hands also to help get wind around passenger.

I wonder how much wrapping the headers would help. The heat really doesn't bother me until it gets in the 90's and up. I have noticed that my left leg feels like it gets warmer than the right side. I think this may be due to the fact that the coolant reservoir is mounted on the left side right in front of my knee. JMO

I purchased the BeaST on September 3rd of last year and most of my early rides were short, but as the weather cooled they got progressively longer, so it took awhile for me to realize EXACTLY how hot these bikes can get. On June 30th, I went for a 125 mile run over 5 hours ... shopping with the wife, don't ask ... we started at 0630 with 71F temperature and by the time we got home it was 95F and my inner thighs were roasting. I asked my 14 y/o son to put his hand flat on the tank near the seat ... HE COULD NOT HOLD IT THERE ... the tank was hot - VERY HOT - Hot like the hood of a car!!

Is this REALLY normal? The temp gauge showed 3 bars the entire trip but the heat was incredible!!

Yeah they get hot when it's hot out it's normal.
Some have insulated under the seat and tank to cut down on that heat source.

Mixed reports on header wrap and removing the cats for reducing rider experienced heat.

Higher riding boots and riding pants make a difference.

Highway wings give your legs some more positions.

Heat, that happens, especially when it's hot out! A fact of life on any bike. Imagine those HD riders, it's a lot closer and the rider is less protected than an ST rider!! Boiled pea-nuts anybody??!!

I've tried lots of fixes that didn't work. I installed a set of Baker Air Wings and can finally ride in the heat.

I have had heat that came off the lower left side of my engine like a cutting blade since I owned mine. I was surprised to discover that it all went away after I change my Purple oiil out and replaced it with Delo 15-30W oil. Rode to Portland and back without a trace of it. So happy!

I have had heat that came off the lower left side of my engine like a cutting blade since I owned mine. I was surprised to discover that it all went away after I change my Purple oiil out and replaced it with Delo 15-30W oil. Rode to Portland and back without a trace of it. So happy!

...That would be Delo 15-40 HDEO :D
Sometimes the simple fixes are best. (welcome home)

Down here in South Florida I was having a lot of "shin heat" as well. All the obvious things help (boots, socks, pants, deflectors) but I can tell you that removing the inner cowls gave me the biggest immediate relief. Just take them off and check it out - you can always put them back if you want.

I wonder how much wrapping the headers would help. The heat really doesn't bother me until it gets in the 90's and up. I have noticed that my left leg feels like it gets warmer than the right side. I think this may be due to the fact that the coolant reservoir is mounted on the left side right in front of my knee. JMO

I wrapped mine and didn't feel any different. I wound up taking the wrapping off.

Back in 2007, I rode out to George's 666STOC and I was in lots of heat for most of the ride to Tucson. All above 100F, but some around 115F:eek:4:

I was wearing chaps at the time and found they blocked out the wind/heat very well, compared to the TourMaster Flex pants I wear now.

Last edited:
is Delo a brand or type of oil, what about the coolant( ICE), that seemed to help on my Kawasaki 1400, thanks

Delo is Chevron's diesel oil.

The cooling system on this bike is already very efficient, and all switching coolants would accomplish is having the thermostat cycle more frequently.

--Mark

Back
Top Bottom