Engine oil - Valvoline Premium Blue One solution Gen 2 ok?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
There is currently no oil in the Rotella T6 line that is JASO MA certified, and no oil in the T6 line has ever had this certification.

Claiming to meet a standard on a label does not make it so until the tests have been done, the results have been certified by JASO and they have granted the MA certification and associated approval number attesting to that.

Whether to believe and trust the marketing on the label without that claim being supported by a JASO MA certification is everyone's choice.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
As an aside, I don’t think much of the Motul 7100, notchy shifts. Nicest shifts in my bike so far is with Mobil 1. Bit surprised that Motul isn’t better, won’t be using it again. I also ran the Valvoline Premium Blue One solution one time, not bad.

Bike
2005 st1300
As an aside, I don’t think much of the Motul 7100, notchy shifts. Nicest shifts in my bike so far is with Mobil 1. Bit surprised that Motul isn’t better, won’t be using it again. I also ran the Valvoline Premium Blue One solution one time, not bad.
So it's not just me. I have been running the motul 7100 for a few weeks and I've noticed the same thing. I expected more out of what is considered to be a premium oil design for motorcycles

Bike
2005 st1300
is there a difference if an oil is JASO rated and if an oil meets JASO requirements, if so and what?
I guess it just comes down to one being just a claim and the other is a guarantee that it meets the requirements. Personally, I have run the t6 before and had no issues with it and wouldn't have any problem recommending it, as many others do. I don't have any problem accepting their claim that it meets JASO requirements without the actual certification.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
So it's not just me. I have been running the motul 7100 for a few weeks and I've noticed the same thing. I expected more out of what is considered to be a premium oil design for motorcycles
Yes, exactly!

Bike
R1200rt
I guess it just comes down to one being just a claim and the other is a guarantee that it meets the requirements. Personally, I have run the t6 before and had no issues with it and wouldn't have any problem recommending it, as many others do. I don't have any problem accepting their claim that it meets JASO requirements without the actual certification.
really,, thats like saying I can cure cancer with out actually doing it. Or Mc D saying it's a quarter pound .

If Shell paid to get Rotella JASO certified, it would kill the sales of their motorcycle specific Advance line. JMO.
Absolutely agree.

Personal opinion - I trust Shell enough their claim of conforms to JASO standard, even though they didn't pay JASO for their stamp.

There's no doubt Shell has the resources to test for JASO conformity ... and I'll bet they have all the documentation to back it up

Been running T6 with zero issue.

As an aside, couldn't JASO legally approach Shell because they claim JASO conformity ?

Bike
2005 st1300
really,, thats like saying I can cure cancer with out actually doing it. Or Mc D saying it's a quarter pound .
Exactly. if I were ordering a quarter pounder, I wouldn't be worried about it not actually being a quarter pound. I also don't concern myself with whether or not Rotella t6 has certification for use with wet clutches when they claim it meets the standard and it is backed up by many miles from lots of riders with no issues. If there was an oil out there that had claims that it only met the JASO standards but had no feedback or reviews of anybody using it successfully, I would be skeptical and would avoid it. There are a lot of people that need that certification and that's fine also. There is plenty of jaso certified oil out there for them.
Point is, with Rotellas track record of being safe for wet clutches, it's just not that big a deal.

Bike
R1200rt
Exactly. if I were ordering a quarter pounder, I wouldn't be worried about it not actually being a quarter pound. I also don't concern myself with whether or not Rotella t6 has certification for use with wet clutches when they claim it meets the standard and it is backed up by many miles from lots of riders with no issues. If there was an oil out there that had claims that it only met the JASO standards but had no feedback or reviews of anybody using it successfully, I would be skeptical and would avoid it. There are a lot of people that need that certification and that's fine also. There is plenty of jaso certified oil out there for them.
Point is, with Rotellas track record of being safe for wet clutches, it's just not that big a deal.
no thats not my point, Mc D was suited because it was not a 1/4 pound and I'm sure that the JASO certifying body would also file suit if what was stated is not true. Shell and Valvoline oil are not going to go by what a few riders say.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Personal opinion - I trust Shell enough their claim of conforms to JASO standard, even though they didn't pay JASO for their stamp.
As I have said, that's like stating that a piece of home theater equipment is capable of meeting THX specifications without paying to have it tested so you can display the THX logo on it.

As an aside, couldn't JASO legally approach Shell because they claim JASO conformity ?
They would probably have to show that it does not conform to the standard requirements.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I have used this Mobil 1 15w-50 and my bike likes it. Note, this is SM and it is almost a 40w oil. Unlike the SN variant which is most definitely a 50w oil. It’s not JASO and I will probably stay with this because I live in the southern US with high temperatures. It has a very good package for the price, significantly better than the Valvoline and my bike shifts better with this oil than with Motul 7100 MC oil.
  • SN: For vehicles manufactured after 2010
  • SM: For vehicles manufactured between 2004 and 2009

F359B808-A830-4964-852E-28F6C6DCCB0C.jpeg

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Per posters here on the board the formula was changed way back by 2017:

You might notice it's no longer carrying the certification for gasoline engine use either. In late 2016 Shell cut the amount of phosphorus in synthetic 5w40 to less than 800 ppm to meet requirements for new on-road diesel engines that use catalytic converters to meet new emission requirements online December 2016. Phosphorus was Rotella's magic bullet and Rotella used to have over 1200 ppm in previous formulations but no longer. I used Rotella in previous formulations that carried API SL and SN certs but won't any longer.
I had 205,226 miles on my bike on January 1, 2017. I now have 331,024 miles on the ST1300 I bought brand new. That's 125,798 miles SINCE the "formula change" and my original clutch still clutches when I need it to clutch. I've done every oil change myself on the bike using only the Rotella T6 oils (since 1,000 miles). But not a single mile was certified so YOU can't be sure it really happened UNLESS you believe and trust what I claim.

Yup the Shell oil is not "certified". Only by paying someone money for certification can something truly be what it's claimed to be. THE BLACK PEARL my notorious 'ghost ship,' looms in the dark , uncertified....

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Per posters here on the board the formula was changed way back by 2017:

I had 205,226 miles on my bike on January 1, 2017. I now have 331,024 miles on the ST1300 I bought brand new. That's 125,798 miles SINCE the "formula change" and my original clutch still clutches when I need it to clutch. I've done every oil change myself on the bike using only the Rotella T6 oils (since 1,000 miles). But not a single mile was certified so YOU can't be sure it really happened UNLESS you believe and trust what I claim.

Yup the Shell oil is not "certified". Only by paying someone money for certification can something truly be what it's claimed to be. THE BLACK PEARL my notorious 'ghost ship,' looms in the dark , uncertified....
Well if its not certified " It ain't black".

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
1656768209312.png

This works pretty good.1656768209312.png
I'll give you fairly good, not pretty good, as this stuff holds the record (UOA's that I've sent out) for the WORST oil tested in the ST's I've seen it used in ;)
A few years back, I tested it against the Safeway Generic House Brand 10w-40 auto oil, and the Safeway stuff beat it by a wide margin.

Top Bottom