Engine oil

Also found out that the JASO MB rating in for motorcycles with automatic transmissions! The New Gold Wing DCT and The Africa Twin DCT come to mind. they have antifriction additives to help the trans. shift smoother ( probably not good in a wet clutch bike!)
Ride Safe!

I'm tired of reading. Can someone answer my question? Do i use this mobill 1 for $26.00 or the rotella T6 for $60.00? Is this Mobil 1 ok for the st 1300 wet clutch?
I have never seen t6 for $60 it is usually less than mobil 1. some riders on the site have used either one with no complaints . Both oils have low amount of molybdenum rotella t4 has less than 1 ppm. Too much moly is allegedly a killer on clutches. This site http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_4192017.html you can find the break down of oil and what is in it. The more you know the better decision you can make ... T6 at https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Ro...ynthetic-Diesel-Engine-Oil-1-Gallon/869812640 $20

Been reading a lot of oil reviews, I think Im sold on The Rotella T6, the question I have now is 5W-40 or 15W-40 ( I cant find any evidence that there is a 10W-40)?
I live in SC so dont do much cold weather riding, I seldom ride if its below 50 F. So can I get by with the 15W-40?

Been reading a lot of oil reviews, I think Im sold on The Rotella T6, the question I have now is 5W-40 or 15W-40 ( I cant find any evidence that there is a 10W-40)?
I live in SC so dont do much cold weather riding, I seldom ride if its below 50 F. So can I get by with the 15W-40?

The 5W40 will work just fine. I don't see a need to go with the 15w40.

Thanks everyone, I'm all oiled up!:bigpop: Heading for the Blue Ridge Parkway next week!

I'd opt for 5W-40 in the colder weather and 15W-40 in the heat.

Since multigrade oils are designed to work within a wide temperature range without losing viscosity until at those limits, a 10W-40 is perfect for year round motorcycle use in a liquid cooled engine. Consult the chart in your Honda manual and it tells you that 10W weight is good for temperatures down to minus 15 C., or about 8 F. and 40 weight is good up to 45C., or 110F.

If you want to ride outside of those temperature ranges . . . . well . . you are just plain nuts!

10W weight is good for temperatures down to minus 15 C., or about 8 F. and 40 weight is good up to 45C., or 110F.

If you want to ride outside of those temperature ranges . . . . well . . you are just plain nuts!

Umm... welcome to the forum of the nuts. o_O

I know you've been here awhile... and you know that many of the ST community are qualified for internment. I've been above and below those temps a few times. BTDT... doing it again!

I may be in error. It might be 15W-40.

The larger point I was trying to make is that it is now available in a viscosity greater than 5W.
Thanks! I knew it was an honest mistake, although I did search for it! As warm as it is here I think the 15w-40 will work fine!
Thanks for the reply!

Since multigrade oils are designed to work within a wide temperature range without losing viscosity until at those limits, a 10W-40 is perfect for year round motorcycle use in a liquid cooled engine. Consult the chart in your Honda manual and it tells you that 10W weight is good for temperatures down to minus 15 C., or about 8 F. and 40 weight is good up to 45C., or 110F.
Just to elaborate for those who don't know, the W in the number indicates winter; here's what the numbers mean:

A 10W-40 oil flows as would a straight 10-weight oil at 0 degrees C (32F), and as would a straight 40-weight oil at 100 degrees C (212F). In other words, the viscosity changes less with change in temperature than a straight-weight oil.

A 10-weight oil flows easily when cold, but thins greatly when hot, while a 40-weight oil lubricates better when hot, but is difficult to pump when cold. A multi-viscosity flows more easily when cold yet still lubricates better when hot.

the thinner winter viscosity is good if you operate in frigid climates, but at warmer temps I would think the thinner oil would cling to the metal less and therefore result in a drier start up condition. I seldom if ever ride in temps below 50 degrees f . so I think the 15w-40 should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom