Ergonomics and seating position

OP
OP
Adjust the seat height bracket to lowest position, then gently stretch the front end sides such that the plastic pockets in the seat base do not engage the metal tangs on either side of the bike below the tank, while at the same time forcing the back end of the seat into the lowest position (highest step).
This raises the front and flattens out the rear of the seat.
This is how I keep mine.
Along with bar risers, is most comfortable for me.
5’11”/ 207 lbs.
I’m very interested in your approach but I can’t picture this. Would you happen to have pics to show what you mean?

Bike
2014 ST1300
When you guys say the Sargent seat or the RDL seat, please understand that most aftermarket seats are custom-made, meaning that each one is different in seat height, firmness, angle, front-to-rear position, etc.
Weird. When I ordered my Sargent seat, it wasn't custom. It was just their "stock" seat for the ST1300, i.e., I ordered it without choosing any specs. I know they will do custom seats as well however.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The seat seems to always want to push me forward towards/into the tank
The seat slopes forward so there is the tendency to slide forward. The position of the stock seat can be manipulated to level the seat to reduce or eliminate the the slide depending on individual metrics.

This diagram shows the positions of the of the adjustment mechanism and the rear locating tabs. Here's a pic of the positions with a notation of two manipulated positions that will level the seat to some degree.

By scrunching the seat a little either the MID (2a) or HIGH (3b) the seat can be leveled enough to reduce/eliminate the slide with respect to your inseam. If I recall correctly the HIGH position is slightly more level than the Mid position. With a 32" inseam the HIGH position might be more comfortable.

Place the tab of the front of the seat in the adjuster and then gently press the tangs on the rear of the seat into the corresponding slots as shown in the diagram. Beyond this is modifying the foam of the seat or getting a new seat. I use the HIGH (3b) configuration and there's no forward sliding.

[EDIT]: I missed post #9 where it looks like you're already using this method.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
I’m very interested in your approach but I can’t picture this. Would you happen to have pics to show what you mean?
1. Remove both seats
2. Set height adjuster to medium (middle) position
3. With back end of seat raised place nose of seat onto adjuster bar
4. Gently spread the ears at front of seat so that the metal tangs don’t engage the pockets in the seat base
5. At the same time press down in rear of seat to engage the metal hoops into the top step of seat base.
6.Re install rear seat carefully so you don’t disturb the front seat from its new location.

Attachments

I had a VTX 1300 before the ST, that was the worst seat my ass ever touched. Had to buy a Ultimate for it......the ST came with a Russell Day Long seat. Best seat ever......

Top Bottom