Exhaust ‘rough pop sound’

Hi all.
I need some advice if possible. Background is, ST1300, 2003. I recently changed the exhaust headers due to corrosion around the silencer fittings on both sides.
Also while the fairings were off I had a leak from the cam chain tensioner gasket on the left side ( the easy one to get to), so changed that.

Now, having fully checked the exhaust for leaks or blows, of which there are none, I am getting a pop and burbling sound when running. I can only describe it as just a bit louder and bubbly. But this is narrowed down only to the left side.

It seems to run absolutely fine, not lumpy or down on power, just louder with the burble quite noticeable on tick over. I do not believe this to be down to the exhaust.

My question is, can taking the cam chain tensioner out cause running issues, ie upset valves timing or anything like that? Is there any way to check it?

If anyone can advise or know what the problem is I’d be very grateful for some guidance.

Thanks

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The cam chain tensioner shouldn't matter as long as you didn't run the bike with it out and sounds like you didn't.

Most don't notice the bike has a little backfire/burble when using the oem exhaust. That is more noticeable when switching to aftermarket exhausts. I like it myself.

Are the exhausts you used OEM or aftermarket? How old were they? I doubt you have an issue if the bike is running good and it's just the burble you're inquiring about.

Bike
2003 ST1300
You might try another brand of gas and/or a higher octane if this bothers you or you feel it's bad enough.
Other idea:
Potential leaking around the header/engine connection or to the mufflers or crossover?

As @Mellow indicated, changing the exhaust will likely have a difference unless the engine is tuned to the exhaust.

I purchased my ST with Delkevic mufflers and couldn't wait to get them off due to loudness and backfiring!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I changed mine to Delekevics and am satisfied with the slightly increased "noise" :) Very little gurgling and no back fire.
I wonder if the baffles were removed from the mufflers?

OP
OP
Thanks all.
no didn’t run it while tensioner was off.
Exhaust headers that went on were stock, checked wel for leaks or blows.
silencers are also stock and the same ones that came off to fit the headers.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The tensioner - the cross head under the bolt that you removed. If you moved that (no reason why you should) then you should have let it return under its own spring tension - maybe with a little help. The danger might come if you tightened it. That will make the cam chain too tight. But I doubt it would cause the symptoms you describe. If there are no leaks anywhere it'll just be the new exhausts. Or you were riding close to a brick wall when you heard it. I sometimes get a phantom harley sounding as though it is coming up behind me when I am slowing down alongside a brick wall. There's nowt there - its just the echo from the wall - everso slightly off beat due to the tiny time delay. Sounds nice. Syncopated ST.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My 05 and the 09 I had before had a crackle/backfire when blipping the throttle in neutral at a standstill. Never heard anything like that on any other Honda so assume it is a "feature" not a "bug". Can't hear it while riding with the stock silencers.

Top Bottom