F900 XR

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
This started in the The Paulcb Memorial Coldest Ride, Winter 2023-2024, but to answer Mellow's question, I thought it best to start a new thread and keep that one more or less on topic.
This won't last long, but it puts me in the top 10 for now.

2023-11-29 13_24_11-Window.png

28F on the road to Damascus House.

Chris
I don't know that bimmer, @Daboo .
Which bike? Can't tell, but doesn't look like a big GS...
It's a BMW F900 XR. My wife told me to buy a new bike. Honest.

Chris
NICE!! curious how you like it once you get a few miles on it.
This started back last spring at the COG Bun Cooler in Kamiah, Idaho. To make a long story much shorter, my rear axle bearing "grenaded" inside the rear hub. If that had happened as we were riding along the river out to Elk City and back, I wouldn't be writing this post. The rear bearing parts disintegrated and locked up the rear wheel. A new part was $1200. I picked up a used swing arm from eBay and installed it instead. Then last September, it seemed some of the same characteristics of the same bearing failing were beginning to show up. My wife decided she wanted to keep me around for awhile and told me to buy a new motorcycle, and trade-in the old one. The F800GT lasted me 107K. Lots of fantastic memories and except for that rear bearing, it never let me down.

My criteria for a new bike has always been:
  • Less than 1000ccs. Above that, IMO, you're getting into the two-wheeled car category. Most of my cars had less hp than my last two motorcycles have.
  • Less than 500 lbs. Above that, and I'm getting into the category of not wanting to stop for a picture at the end of the day because I simply can't bear the thought of manhandling that much weight on the road shoulder.
  • Full fairing. I ride too much in rain and cold. A naked bike would become just a toy for me.
  • Shaft or belt drive. You can't have it all, I guess.
There are some nice bikes coming out, but they violate 3 of the 4 criteria. And I'm just a little leery of buying a first year model. That left the Tracer GT and the F900 XR.

I don't want to offend anyone with my next comments. So don't take it personally if you own a Tracer. I think they are ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think it is a good example of function over form. I saw one at Artist Point last summer. I thought the owner said it was the previous model, the Tracer 900 GT, which I thought was beautiful in the pictures. But maybe it was the latest version. In any case, I thought it was ugly. So when Carol said to buy a new motorcycle, the choice was down to one. The BMW F900 XR.

I was ready not to like it. But as I pulled away from Seattle BMW on a test ride, I started noticing little things that I appreciated. The F800GT was easy to stall for the uninitiated. This XR was not. In fact, the bike was incredibly stable at less than walking speeds. Hmm... That was a relief because I was in mostly stopped, stop-n-go traffic. The feeling I came away with was like I had when I test rode the F800GT. The bike I rode in on, the Honda NT700V had nothing wrong about it. I liked it. But there was something about the F800GT that made me think this was the right way to go. And as it turned out, it was. Same thing here. Nothing wrong with the F800GT...except the rear axle bearing...but this XR is subtly better.

Engine. The throttle mapping modes are interesting. "Rain" is like you would expect. Muted throttle response. It was handy to try that on the sub-freezing temps of the past week. "Road" is much like the feeling I had on the F800GT. Responsive, but in a linear fashion. "Dynamic"...Wow! The Tracer folks can brag about their throttle response from that wonderful triple, but in Dynamic mode, this engine is no slouch at all. It seems to work on the principle that if I turn the throttle quickly...I must want to go quickly...and it does. It'll respond quick enough that it has pulled my left hand off the handlebar twice. It's fast. It'll bring a grin to your face that goes from ear to ear. And at those forementioned almost stopped times, it seems like it senses the clutch positioning and keeps the rpms up just enough to not stall. It's a delight, pure and simple.

Suspension. It's a bit firmer than my F800GT was. Good responsiveness in twisties. Dynamic mode is not too harsh, like what I found when I test road a R1200RS years ago. Dynamic mode is quite acceptable for even riding all the time. And the Road mode, is just a bit smoother, but not too much.

Wind management. I'm impressed. The Honda NT700V had excellent wind management. Little to no turbulence behind that adjustable screen. The fairing did its job well. The F800GT took that a step higher, which surprised me. When I test rode it on the freeway, I was amazed to notice the trucks weren't pushing me around. Later, I did get some turbulence, but I'd just change the F800GT's suspension setting from Comfort to Normal or Sport even. As you firmed up the suspension, the F800GT was more stable in those cross-winds. The F900 XR is another step higher. I was riding out to the coast and hitting some fairly decent cross-winds. They made no effect on the bike or me at all. And even though it seems like the fairing is minimal...it does what you need. I'm learning that all those angular bits and pieces on the fairing are there for a reason. The gas tank is narrower between my knees and I can get them in easily. The rest of the fairing just cuts through the wind...and when you move your hand out from your leg...you can feel the full force of what you're missing.

I'm impressed with the windscreen too. It's small. And yet it works well enough that I doubt I'll ever replace it. It also has two positions that you can adjust it to while riding. The upper position does let some wind hit your arms, but the torso is out of the wind. The lower position will be great during the summer in hot temps as it allows a lot more air to flow to your chest. But all this is without turbulence.

Ergonomics. Again, I'm impressed. The riding position is more upright than on the F800GT, but not overly so. Last summer, I was getting a lot of pain in my hands on the F800GT. My doc says I had bursitis. There were some days I would get to the motel and be in absolute pain. One of the COG members introduced me to CBD oil. It helped a lot. (I'm sure the tequila did too. :) ) But on the XR, the riding position is such that there's no weight on my hands. In fact, I don't even see a need for foam grips! That will be wonderful next summer.

The seat is a surprise too. I have short legs. The XR is a bit taller than the F800GT was. So I got the Low Seat option which means there's less padding in the seat. I expected it to be like a wooden plank to sit on. It's not. There is very little padding in the area where your tailbone hits...but that's great because the tailbone doesn't hurt. And while the padding under the butt cheeks is not generous, it seems to be enough that I can do a full day's ride without discomfort.

The footpegs are a little high, but not too much for me.

The TFT Dash and Wonder Wheel. This is far better than I expected. (Are you sensing a trend here?) The information is laid out very well. Going from the main screen, you can easily get into all the details you want to know about, and more. And yet the interface with the Wonder Wheel is so well thought out that it isn't distracting. What's more, you can pair your smartphone up and answer phone calls, listen to music and even access written GPS directions. With the GPS, BMW still wants you to buy their expensive GPS, but if you can do without seeing a moving picture, this could be all you need.

In comparison, not only is the Tracer ugly to me to walk up to, but this is what you see when you're on the bike.

1701386927574.png

Once I heard of the comparison to a scuba diver with goggles, I couldn't get it out of my head.

Negatives. Few actually, and two can be fixed fairly easily.
  • Space is a premium on this bike. The underseat storage area is not generous. If you add electronic accessories, you'll find the room runs out quickly. It was a challenge, but I had just enough room, and no more.
  • There is no service manual available. BMW decided to quit putting their service manual on DVDs, so they are no longer available to purchase. It's a bother, but there are a couple ways around it. One is forums like this one where others share what they did. YouTube "University" has lots of videos. And you can access BMW's service manual in the cloud. There's a license fee, but for a reasonable cost, you can get a day subscription and then print off as much as time allows. I'll be doing that soon.
  • The kickstand is too short. Way to short. The advantage is that you can park on the side of the road and not worry about the bike tipping over if the pavement on the left is higher than the pavement on the right. But this is a chore to get the bike vertical when parked. You can buy sidestand extenders that will take care of that. So it is fixable.

And that's it. No regrets. Just looking forward to taking this awesome bike out on some multi-state trips like the other one.

Chris

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good review Chris thanks!

I agree w/wonder wheel, always thought it would be difficult and confusing to use but it's very intuitive and I rarely need to do much with in once riding.

On the Tracer... I also agree w/scuba face gauges but the '24 GT+ did change that along with some other changes.

1701426193296.png

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
:) I can read the "N" and "0" is that km/h or mph? And I can read "STREET". And is "8 14" the date or time? :)

It's all good. :D And that's all that really counts in the end. Those that buy a Tracer, buy it for the reasons that matter most to them. What I'm hoping comes out of this mini-review, is that there are other options out there, even if the "professional" motorcycling reviewers only focus on one bike, and one thing on that bike...the engine. I suppose some day I should stop by a Yamaha dealer and test ride a Tracer. I doubt it would make a difference. I'd still have to look at it. :D :D :D

There was an incident when I first bought my F800GT that has stuck with me for years now. The F800GT was considered underpowered at 90 hp, even though it had more hp than most of the cars I've owned and loved. I was headed to Hurricane Ridge and had found a Ducati owner on the ferry that was headed up to the same area. We were riding along at what seemed like a comfortable relaxed pace and were coming up to Sequim. Sequim is noted for its radar traps. I wasn't concerned at all. I hadn't looked at my speedometer in a while, but felt I was close to the 55 mph speed limit. I saw two Washington State Patrol cars on the side of the road and looked down at my speedometer. I was expecting to see something like 62 mph...not 90 mph!

That bike was so well balanced in all its features that nothing stood out, like the engine on the Tracer. Yet it was deceptively fast and composed when riding fast. If they still made it, I might've bought another.

Chris

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That was just a screen shot from some review so in metric.

I might have gotten an f800gt if they still made them... I like the idea of the belt drives myself. But, nothing wrong with chains. They're just dirty but easy to clean.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I will say the F900XR does look good... I do hate that Yamaha does a single headlight low beam vs 2 or something in the center ...

BMW and Yamaha do great with bikes.. Kawasaki has a 900 as well... lots of good bikes out there to consider still.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
And that's it. No regrets. Just looking forward to taking this awesome bike out on some multi-state trips like the other one.
The F900XR is a great bike for the reasons/preferences you described. It is my preferred solo rental bike in the Alps and would be on my very short list here in the US if my wife stopped riding with me long distance or switched to riding just an hour here or there. I frequently recommend it to my tour members and they all like it too. I can think of at least one rider who came home and bought one after an extended "test ride" in the Alps.

The only issue I have had with them, which may or may not have been addressed by BMW lately, is the placement of the right-side brake pedal, which in earlier models sat quite high just below where your boot might be on the peg. The problem came about because my foot would end up dragging the rear brake ever so slightly without me know it, which caused it to gradually heat up and expand, thereby causing the brakes to drag, sometimes quite noticeably as if I was towing a heavy weight trailer. Someone following behind one day commented that my brake lights seemed to be on all the time. I moved my foot position, so my right foot swiveled to the right a bit, away from the brake pedal and the problem disappeared. I saw similar comments on BMW posts.

I hope you enjoy your new bike and that it gives you many years of smiles and miles.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ahh, Trekker 33s and an E42 for the top case. Pretty much got it covered there.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Its the S1000XR little brother. Very nice bike. Good choice in luggage. I took off the POS BMW luggage on my XR and bought black Givi trekkers. The only thing I would not like on the 900XR is the seat. It completely locks you into a position you can't get out of, IMO.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
@Daboo Chris, still liking the bike?

Curious how good the oem lighting is, low/high beam adequate? Also, is the head light like the Tracer where you have a single one or do you have 2 for low and 2 for high?

Range? 4.1 Gallon tank, what kind of real world mpg and range are you getting?

Your comments are pushing me towards the XR vs T9GT+ if I decide on a 2nd bike... still not sure 2 bikes work for me but 'making sense' doesn't really apply in these cases. :p

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Mellow,

Here is a link to Fuelly on the F900XR. I have ridden the F900XR on numerous occasions and with other riders on the XR in the company of R1250 RTs, GSs, etc. and the XR consistently took less fuel per fill up compared to the bigger bikes. The tanks were filled in liters, and the difference was usually 3 - 4 liters, depending on how far down the tank had run. I like to rent them because I find them more frugal than the bigger bikes and every bit as much fun in the mountains.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mellow,

Here is a link to Fuelly on the F900XR. I have ridden the F900XR on numerous occasions and with other riders on the XR in the company of R1250 RTs, GSs, etc. and the XR consistently took less fuel per fill up compared to the bigger bikes. The tanks were filled in liters, and the difference was usually 3 - 4 liters, depending on how far down the tank had run. I like to rent them because I find them more frugal than the bigger bikes and every bit as much fun in the mountains.
Problem, if there is one, the other bikes mentioned carry a lot more fuel. In Europe 150-175 mile range with ~25 mile reserve of the XR might not be an issue but in parts of the US it would be a concern. I have range like that with my NC700X and while it's not normally an issue where I ride there are times it's a worry at 150 miles..... Fill up now or not?, or wait and see maybe there will be gas in 25 miles, maybe not, better fill up now, etc., etc.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Problem, if there is one, the other bikes mentioned carry a lot more fuel. In Europe 150-175 mile range with ~25 mile reserve of the XR might not be an issue but in parts of the US it would be a concern. I have range like that with my NC700X and while it's not normally an issue where I ride there are times it's a worry at 150 miles..... Fill up now or not?, or wait and see maybe there will be gas in 25 miles, maybe not, better fill up now, etc., etc.
I was getting a lot of fuel anxiety w/Tracer 900 GT - the new Tracer now has 5 gallons vs 4.8 and that tripple does get thirsty... I would get fuel at 100 miles just so I had the buffer. I'm sure I could easily get to 180 mark but that's on a good day... on a great day, much less.

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
@Daboo Chris, still liking the bike?

Curious how good the oem lighting is, low/high beam adequate? Also, is the head light like the Tracer where you have a single one or do you have 2 for low and 2 for high?

Your comments are pushing me towards the XR vs T9GT+ if I decide on a 2nd bike... still not sure 2 bikes work for me but 'making sense' doesn't really apply in these cases. :p
The OEM lighting is good, but we all want more.

BMW adopted the European lighting standard with the right side being low-beam and the left being high beam. I thought that perhaps I could simply adjust the high beam side down to the low beam height, but that won't work. The low beam light pattern is a wide bright light and the high beam light pattern is a rectangle shape. It also has "cornering lights". Nice idea, but apparently gov't regulations limit the amount of light they can put out. On a dark twisty road, you can see them come on and off, but they don't do much good.

1703103807915.png

I added some inexpensive aux lights. Price on Amazon is $40 for both.
1703103414303.png

These have a "Hi Beam", "Low Beam", and Flashing mode controlled by the switch and internal circuitry. I got them not to see better at night...the OEM lights are good enough for my purposes, but to be seen. I was noticing several instances where people looked at me and then pulled out anyway. Each light is about 1800 lumens, which is just a little dimmer than a halogen headlight. The strobe light might be useful. Besides using it when you're in a group and not BT connected, you could get the attention of the people in front of you if you wanted to stop. I had a Mercedes accelerate to get in front of me as his lane merged into mine. Lots of room behind me, and he had to squeeze in front of me. So I turned the strobe mode on and just rode behind him. That has got to be irritating. :D

Range? My Fuelly record doesn't show it, but I've done a couple day trips and the MPG were up past 50...but then I didn't fill up when I got home and rode around in town where it is mostly "stop" and not "go". So the gas mileage on Fuelly is still reflecting more of the in town mileage. At this time of the year, it is meaningless to me. It looks like it'll do about what my F800GT did on trips. I consistently got 55-63 mpg with once at least up at 72 mpg, if my memory serves me right. I'll probably still plan for stops at 180 miles, even though at 55 mpg, I could stretch that to 200 with a range of 220.

I used to do a mental calculation in my mind while riding the F800GT. I'd compare how many miles I'd ridden with what my average MPG reading was. I'd compare that with how many miles the bike had gone before the gas gauge started reading at the halfway point. That gave me a fair estimate of how many miles further I could go. The XR just tells you what your remaining range is. I watched it go from like 170 miles on one of my day trips, up to 190 miles as I got moving and the bike became more efficient.

As far as "still liking the bike", it is strange how I feel. I really loved my F800GT. I thought when I got rid of it, that I would miss it, but I don't. I'm just looking forward to better weather and some riding time on this new bike.

Regarding the Tracer...that's for you to sort out. :D I think they are ugly. I liked the pictures of the earlier model, but when I actually saw one in person, there was no yearning for it at all. I couldn't get past the looks, and the new model is even worse in my mind. But that's the nice part of all these bikes to chose from. What I like, doesn't have to be what you like.

I think beyond the looks, the XR is probably more of an integrated feeling. BMW came up with the "Wonder Wheel" idea and patented it. Other manufacturers came to the party late, so their ways of implementing that functionality aren't as smooth. I didn't care about a "Wonder Wheel" when I had the F800GT, but it is amazing how intuitive that is. With the new computers and sensors, they can show you all kinds of data...but can you see it without taking your eyes off the road for more than a second? On the XR, you can.

Yeah...no regrets.

Chris

Top Bottom