Fat Bars on a ST1100

Bike
2020 BMW S1000XR
STOC #
Haven’t posted much on this site but I thought I should write about my latest mod to my ST1100.

I have been working on my 1996 ST1100; rebuilt the front forks (Race Tech Gold Seal Kit and springs), new head bearings, and Bridgestone BT023 tires. (Waiting for the new rear shock to arrive)

However the biggest change was with the handle bars. I have seen lots of posts on this site about changing the bars to Helli Bars, Gold Wing Bars, ATV bars and other 7/8 types of bars. I have never found anything on installing a fat or Motocross bars on a ST1100. I have always like the look of a fat bar on Ducati’s, BMW's, and streetfighter bikes and wondered what one would look like on a ST1100. I removed the plastic pad and rode without it for a few months to try and visualise what it would look like.

Well this week I went ahead and did it, and I’m very pleased with the results. I installed a 35mm or 1.25 inch Easton fat bar and risers. They measure 31 inches in width and I can’t believe the control I now have. Along with the other suspension changes and tires, these bars have made the bike lighter and quicker to turn into a corner. Front end feel is much better and I’m really pleased with the look. Riding position is not aggressive and is similar to stock with the exception of now my hands are 4 inches wider.

So I thought it would be fun to hear the reaction of the members, and from others who have done a similar modification to their ST1100 or are thinking of something similar. (Pictures in my Albums; better ones to follow)

Bytown Bandit

Attachments

• Fat Bar Installation August 2012 (2).jpg
    Fat Bar Installation August 2012 (2).jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Fat Bar Installation August 2012 (3).jpg
    Fat Bar Installation August 2012 (3).jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Fat Bar Installation August 2012 (4).jpg
    Fat Bar Installation August 2012 (4).jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I really like it. Way to pioneer. I can see putting them on easy, all bolt on. How did you get the controls on there? Did you drill out the perch mounts, an what about the electric controls? Seems it has brought the bars back some too. Are the grips bigger? Seems they would be easier to grip if they were.

I like it too. Look again Michael, it looks to me that they are 7/8 at the ends so no work at all to keep the stock controles. I would guess the yolks just bolt it as well. Cool!

Everything was a direct bolt on. The bars are 7/8’s at the ends so all the controls just bolted up. Had to play a bit with the brake and clutch lines but nothing serious. I will be adding Steel Braided brake and clutch lines shortly to complete the look and for better brake performance. The grips are Pro Cycle sport bike grips, and I’m not running any bar end weights; I don’t need them.

Everybody who has seen this latest update to the bike likes it. It looks so much better than stock and I really like the riding position. Was out for a 330 Km ride Sunday with no comfort issues.

Bytown Bandit

Last edited:
I know this post is a couple months old, but I was curious if the new bars get in the way of your mirrors.

Its a good thing that I found this thread.

I find that the stock handle bar of the ST11 too narrow for my liking. I have been looking at the wider handlebar with a little pull back but not raised. Now I know that this handle bar change can be done without any modification to the cables. I will try with a Fazer 1000 (Gen 1) handlebar.

Opposite of what I did on STick, narrower/lower Bonneville bars. With a shorter wind screen it added some "sport bike" attitude.

I like what ya did there, all very aggressive in a SuperMotard vein. Don't fully agree with the extra six-inch width, tho, seems excessive.

I know this post is a couple months old, but I was curious if the new bars get in the way of your mirrors.

No the bars do not block the mirrors at all.

I can see a little of the bar or my hands while riding, but it was about the same with the stock bars.

Bytown Bandit

Last edited:
Its a good thing that I found this thread.

I find that the stock handle bar of the ST11 too narrow for my liking. I have been looking at the wider handlebar with a little pull back but not raised. Now I know that this handle bar change can be done without any modification to the cables. I will try with a Fazer 1000 (Gen 1) handlebar.

I don't think you will be disappointed.
I have put on over 3500 Km since the change and have no complaints or comfort issues. I like the position of my arms and hands and I'm sitting a little lower in cleaner air with little or no buffeting. My windshield is cut 4 inches from stock and the air is very clean around my helmet. When I run the stock windshield (colder weather) it’s a nice a quiet ride with no buffeting at all.

I know George questions the extra width, but it works. If you ever rode a dirt bike or motocross and remember the position of your hands; it's the same on my ST1100.
My only regret; didn’t do this modification a long time ago. I hesitated, and I’m sorry I procrastinated.

Bytown Bandit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom