Ferret gets a new ride

I think I'm going to go with the 47 Liter Givi. It's more angular than the totally rounded Givis and should match the bags a bit better. Guess if it doesn't hold 2 helmets, it will hold hers and I will lock mine on a helmet guardian, or just carry it. Not a big deal.

Very nice snazz new bike Ferret - congratulations!

I (and I am sure others) would be very interested in a few words on the key differences between the FJR and your ST....

Pete

Here's what I can tell you so far. The FJR sits taller and I feel like I am sitting on it, rather than in it. I think the bars are narrower and lower and the footpegs are higher, so it's a sportier riding position. I think the ST was a little bit more comfortable. The FJR certainly has a different sound, but still has it's own space craft sound to it IMO. I think the ST may be smoother motor-wise, but the FJR is pretty smooth as well. I think the ST's windshield was a little better. You can certainly feel the difference in weight when pushing it around and when transitioning thru an S curve. The FJR is WAY easier to put on the center stand. Cruise control is a great feature, and I love the gear indicator. The FJR really doesn't need aa 6th gear and there is not a big enough difference between 6th and 5th to make 6th a true overdrive. I am averaging 50.1 mpg on the FJR and averaged 47 mpg on the ST. Not having to buy premium gas is nice.

As far as power goes, the FJR may have more, but the way I ride I'll never find out. I'm not a hot road racer and anything over 100 hp is basically wasted on me. My ST was never over 5000 rpm and neither will this FJR. Most of my time is spent between 2500 and 3500 rpms, 45-60 miles per hour +- 5 mph of the speed limit.

I think Honda made a huge blunder in not updating the ST.

Last edited:
Congrats on a great choice Mickey! I went through the same decision process back in 2013 with the same result . . . bought an FJR. It's been great reading your thoughts and evaluations of your new ride as I'm considering getting a new ride, maybe towards the end of the year. Another FJR leads the pack, but I haven't really looked at anything yet.

You're transitioning much quicker than I did. It took me over 10k miles before I wasn't thinking about the differences anymore. i was most dissatisfied with the windscreen when I bought mine and went through 3 replacements before finding "the one" for me (Stock FJR windscreen, Givi, V-Stream, Yamaha FJR Touring). Windscreen height was the key factor with the FJR Touring screen being the tallest. The major difference between the ST and FJR for me is the rider pocket; much better and more comfortable in all weather conditions on the ST.

On the other hand, the FJR seems more fun, probably due to being lighter. As to the information screens and electronics . . . it's just a learning curve. It took me awhile, but I finally just set up one screen with the info I use most and leave it alone. Left hand switching between Info/Heated Grips/Windscreen became second nature pretty quickly, although I think it helped me that I have long fingers! ;)

Question. Did you get the Electronic Suspension (ES)? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it if you did.

Ride safe, have fun,
Shuey

Shuey..hey buddy! No I bought the A model. I didn't think the electronic adj suspension and leaning curve leds headlights were worth another 2 grand for 2 reasons (1) once you get the suspension dialed in, you generally never touch it again, or at least I wouldn't. Other than replacing the shock at 75,000 miles I never adjusted the suspension in 10 years on the ST. To tell you the truth I don't even know if the front WAS adjustable. I never looked, and the rear I left on about 3/4 of the way in on the rings thingy down by your leg. Never touched the one that takes a long screwdriver thru the swingarm or something, so the A model will suit my purposes fine. (2) I rarely ever ride at night anymore. Sun rise to sun set is my normal riding zone. As an Iron Butt-er your needs may be different though. The leaning headlight might be the cat's meow for you.

As far as windshields, remember I'm a munchkin (5'6"). I sit up against the tank on both the ST and FJR with inches of driver's seat behind me unused. The stock windshield all the way down suits me most of the time, because I like to feel the wind ( I ran a stock shield cut down 5" on the ST) but I do put it about 3/4 of the way up sometimes. Just for a change of pace and different feel depending on conditions. On the freeway I would probably have it up pretty high, but on back roads it's all the way down.

I finally got the electronics figured out, and got the 3 pages set up the way I wanted, or so I thought, and today on my ride a "Trip F"appeared on the screen, and I had no idea what that meant. I was trying to see how far I could go before the last bar started blinking (it finally did at 233.6 miles) and that's when the Trip F showed up so I suppose that's Yamaha's version of the count down to "pushing" and it supersedes the pages I have set up?

I'm starting to feel more confident on the bike, just a little hesitant with how far I can comfortably and confidently lean it over at this point, but practice will tell me that.

Thought I would update this.

Yamaha fixed my main 2 complaints on the FJR when I test rode one in 06 before buying the ST. Stiff throttle and clutch. The 06 made both of my forearms cramp. The slipper clutch on the 18 is nice and light and the RBW throttle is smooth and easy. Almost too easy lol. Transmission is good, 6th gear is nice. Suspension is good. Digital gear indicator is nice, cruise control and heated grips nice (although it's been in the 90's and I haven't tried the heated grips). Power is crazy. great brakes. What a nice motorcycle. I am getting used to the sitting on rather than in, and getting used to tip in points and throttle control on curves. Couldn't be happier at this point.

vyXJYpz.jpg

I had a cut down seat on my ST so I'm pretty sure it would be about the same as a stock seat. This one is a bit high for me (as was my stock ST seat), but my toes reach on both sides, so manageable so far lol. I think the seat height is 31.7" in the low position from the factory. I thought I might have Spencer lower the seat an inch like he did on my ST, but it really hasn't been an issue.

Also I installed a GIVI tanklock tank bag, which keeps it off the tank, and ordered a GIVI 47L Tech top case and SR357 mount kit, which is back ordered for a few more weeks. Will post up a pic when I get the top case installed.

Such a shame Honda didn't update the ST 1300 like Yamaha did.

Last edited:
Agreed. It seems Honda was all "Let them eat cake" in the form of the 18 Wing. I own one, and it doesn't capture the same riding spirit as the ST. It's awesome, but it misses the ride experience segment of the ST.

I took a nice long test ride on the 18 Wing before buying the FJR, and although a great motorcycle, I too felt the ride experience was lacking for me. Too big, too heavy, too cruiserish, not sporty enough ( although it could certainly be ridden in a sporting manner.)

The FJR is very sporting, yet imminently capable of riding 2 up long distance, while being 80 pounds less weight than my ST, and having the upgrades I wanted. Just what I was looking for.

Last edited:
I took a nice long test ride on the 18 Wing before buying the FJR, and although a great motorcycle, I too felt the ride experience was lacking for me. Too big, too heavy, too cruiserish, not sporty enough ( although it could certainly be ridden in a sporting manner.)

The FJR is very sporting, yet imminently capable of riding 2 up long distance, while being 80 pounds less weight than my ST, and having the upgrades I wanted. Just what I was looking for.

Hows the suspension & ride quality on that FJR? That's one thing I like about the ST is the very good ride quality.

The ride quality on the FJR is anything you want it to be with its advanced electronic suspension. A rider can find what he likes at the toggle of button. I ride mine a little stiff, but on a long interstate cruise I'l set it comfort, with a tilt toward the stiff side.

TMUS...not nearly enough lol. I got about 2/3 of what I was expecting. As to the exact figure I'd rather not say.

UpArrow.... my FJR is the A model and the suspension is manually adjustable and to me, it's got really good suspension right out of the box. There are infinite ways to fiddle with it. I won't be fiddling much, maybe a click here or there, because it feels really good as is. There is a lever in the back that switches the rear spring preload from hard (2 UP) to soft. It works really well. I run it on soft solo, and when my wife goes for a ride I flip the lever to hard. Easy peasy. When she climbs off, I flip it back. Takes 2 seconds..if that.

Heck, I think I only changed the rear suspension once in 10 years on my ST. I ran the knob by your leg about 3/4 of the way in and left it there the whole time. Never messed with the screw in the bottom you get to with a long screw driver. Don't even know if the front was adjustable in any way.

Thanks. Yes it comes from the factory in the low setting.

TMUS...not nearly enough lol. I got about 2/3 of what I was expecting. As to the exact figure I'd rather not say.

UpArrow.... my FJR is the A model and the suspension is manually adjustable and to me, it's got really good suspension right out of the box. There are infinite ways to fiddle with it. I won't be fiddling much, maybe a click here or there, because it feels really good as is. There is a lever in the back that switches the rear spring preload from hard (2 UP) to soft. It works really well. I run it on soft solo, and when my wife goes for a ride I flip the lever to hard. Easy peasy. When she climbs off, I flip it back. Takes 2 seconds..if that.

Heck, I think I only changed the rear suspension once in 10 years on my ST. I ran the knob by your leg about 3/4 of the way in and left it there the whole time. Never messed with the screw in the bottom you get to with a long screw driver. Don't even know if the front was adjustable in any way.

Thank you. I'm all in $$ wise with the Wing and ST so won't be trying an FJR for years to come. But it's the bike that has my curiosity piqued at present.

Nice looking ride and it sounds like it handles well also. I have a Givi 52e top-box that is painted to match the ST Grey on my '03. I know you have ordered yours but thought it worth saying it holds 2 helmets easily and that is very handy. Anyway, enjoy the riding. Maybe we will see you next year at OH-STOC....

Nice looking ride and it sounds like it handles well also. I have a Givi 52e top-box that is painted to match the ST Grey on my '03. I know you have ordered yours but thought it worth saying it holds 2 helmets easily and that is very handy. Anyway, enjoy the riding. Maybe we will see you next year at OH-STOC....

Yea I ordered the Givi 47 tech because it's lines and light pods match the FJR's rear end. Vanity lol! I ordered another helmet guardian for the helmets to use most of the time. I have been using a helmet guardian for about 15 years now on all my bikes. Not as protective as the box, which will be used for light stuff like a windblocker shirt, Frogg Toggs,extra gloves, maps and extra rok straps,(all light stuff) but knock on wood no one has ever messed with our helmets while locked on the Guardian. I did have my helmet fill up with rain water once in an unexpected thunderstorm while I was on the viewing perch on top of Mt Mitchell on the BRP lol. That was cold for awhile.

+1 on the Helmet Guardian.

I simply cannot casually leave my helmet sitting on the seat or draped over a mirror. Aside from the obvious concern about damage from it being dropped, I would absolutely be spitting tacks if some....person....ever swiped it.

Both of my vintage 1970s Yamaha XS650s have solid, convenient, secure helmet locks built into the seat latches. These were mid-range $12-1500 bikes when new, but today where even $7500-25,000+ motorcycles do NOT come with a helmet lock, the Helmet Guardian is a genuinely useful addition. They are easy to install, easy to use, unobtrusive and sufficiently secure to stop (or at least slow down) some stupid git from making off with my lid.

My cousin rides a big full-dress 2016 Hogly-Ferguson and even his $35,000 bike doesn’t have a helmet lock, so he uses one side of my Helmet Guardian when we tour together.

In their endless quest to control costs, somebody at the big bike OEMs has forgotten how people actually use their bikes and omitted traditionally useful features such as the helmet lock - too bad really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom