For a general overview: Talk model type, without much hype.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
If you cannot read all of this post because it is too dark, see below, the first post dated Tuesday, for my other copy of it.

This is about all the STs in the 1100 Series. (This may not apply to the STs in the 1300 Series.)

What we can call the model type of an ST in the 1100 Series describes the general features of that ST when it was built. Honda recognizes three model types for their STs.
By discussing those three model types, we might, in the process, generate a general overview of the entire 1100 Series.

One of the three ST model types is the ABS model type. Honda invented the term ST1100A to identify this type. It was intended to be a Beemer Beater. An ABS type ST was built with a pair of special, brake strength limiters (one for each wheel) plus a special, engine power limiter abbreviated TCS. If some of that sounds a bit trick, then it will come as no surprise that, of the three ST model types, the ABS model type received the most press.

At the other extreme is the ST Police model type, which was not publicized at all among sport touring riders. This non-ABS type is like a standard ST1100 in specification but was built so that it could be easily tailored for use by emergency services. This model type has unique features that include a solo seat and four-way, hazard flashers. Honda invented the term ST1100P to identify their Police model type.

The third and final ST model type consists of all the rest of the STs in the 1100 Series. Honda originally used the now-overworked term "ST1100" to describe this model type. Both the Clymer and the Haynes manuals added the word "standard" to describe it. We can combine both of those two terms to form the term Standard ST1100. We can describe this model type as the Standard ST1100 type.
(In other words, a Standard ST1100 is any ST that was factory fitted with neither ABS/TCS nor with Police gear.)

The Standard ST1100 model type incorporated many valuable features. Rather than listing those features, we note that the Standard ST1100 pulled out smartly ahead of the competing Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours (aka GTR1000) in long test rides. The Standard ST’s only real, sport-touring blemish, relative to the Concours, was its higher list price.

But pricing is relative. The early,
ABS ST1100A models listed about one fifth, or 20 percent higher than the early, Standard ST1100s. To many riders, that made the winning Standard STs look like a bargain. Another plus for the Standard ST was its relatively widespread availability, compared to the other two ST model types. I looked at the ST production numbers for the first six years of most all STs. The Standard ST1100 model type was generally built then in larger quantities than were the other two ST model types combined.

In summary, the 1100 Series of STs consists of the following three model types:

The
Standard ST1100 model type, which was the most popular of the three types;
The
Police ST1100P model type, which was tailored for special use; and
The
ABS ST1100A model type, which was quite impressive but always the most expensive when new.

Every ST in the 1100 Series fits into one of those three types; no ST fits into more than one of those types.
And any ST frame number or VIN can be easily decoded to determine which model type fits that ST.

Honda invented the term ST1100/A for its service manual to indicate that the manual applies to both their
Standard ST1100 and their ABS ST1100A model types. We can extend that Honda term to form the term ST1100/A/P and thus include also the Police ST1100P type. Then we can attempt a general overview, as follows:

The
ST1100/A/P Line or Series or Family of motorcycles consists of the following three ST model types:

The
Standard ST1100 model type,
The
Police ST1100P model type, and
The
ABS ST1100A model type.

That last statement provides a general overview of the 1100 Series of STs, but it discusses only the model-type dimension of STs. For example, the
ABS ST1100A model type was extensively revised to form the ABS II models. Important year-to-year differences in STs, such as the ones in that example, suggest that we need to extend the above overview to include a second, important dimension, which is model year.
(We should at least go on and discuss ST model years in the context of ST model types.)

*The “production numbers” I looked at were, at first, only the beginning and ending frame and engine numbers as are tabled near the end of Clymer’s chapter 1.
From those, I derived frame production quantities of all non-USA STs built for the first six years of STs, plus of all USA STs built for the first three years of STs, 1990 through 1992. (USA ST1100/A numbers seemed to be unobtainable after 1992.)

Last edited:
Dave Im trying to refresh my memory from 20 years ago. I seem to recall by the year 2000 those ST1100 were starting to get scarce. I called at least 5 Honda dealers and nobody had one. Said they could order it but did not know when I would get one. Finally lucked out and got one from a dealer that had ordered one in January. It was still in the crate. I bought that baby sight unseen. Besides marrying my wife best decision I ever made. Mine is a 2000 non abs. If I recalled a ABS traction control model retailed for only 1000 dollars more.

I don’t know if it is my blue template, however, after the opening, it is about impossible to read the dark font.
I don't know about templates, but I did notice improvement at my end when I stopped using the Firefox browser.

Does anyone else find the printing to be too dark to read?

Last edited:
... I seem to recall by the year 2000 those ST1100 were starting to get scarce. ...
I have not yet looked at production numbers near model year 2000.
As I understand it, year 2000 was the last year for any ST models in Europe ... and in Australia, as well.
I did recently look at the available numbers for years 1990 through 1995. (Production then was generally still aimed mainly at Europe ... 24 years ago.)

Last edited:
Gotta hunch that dealers were probably sitting on the fence as rumors of an all new ST that being the ST1300 was going to replace the ST1100. And they did not want to get stuck with a previous model stuck on the showroom floor. Where I got mine the sales manger says he orders one a year and sells it but don't order anymore. If you find out how many 2000's were made please let us know.

... If you find out how many 2000's were made, please let us know.
I just checked my best source and did not find the numbers there that I will need for the USA for years equaling or after year 2000.
(But I can look at Europe, Canada and Australia for year 2000.)

There are two versions of the ABS bikes - ABS prior to 1996 and ABS II, 1996 and later. I'm not sure if the pre 1996 ABS bikes had linked brakes or not.

First things first.
I don’t know if it is my blue template, however, after the opening, it is about impossible to read the dark font.

I can't read it either.
Here is a second copy of the original post, but now without the combination of bold face type font and colored lettering that was used in the original post.
Can anyone not read this milder version? If so, what kind of device are you looking at it on?
And if you can read this, but want to see the version that has more bold type in it, see my initial post above.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is about all the STs in the 1100 Series. (This may not apply to the STs in the 1300 Series.)

What we can call the model type of an ST in the 1100 Series describes the general features of that ST when it was built. Honda recognizes three model types for their STs.
By discussing those three model types, we might, in the process, generate a general overview of the entire 1100 Series.

One of the three ST model types is the ABS model type. Honda invented the term ST1100A to identify this type. It was intended to be a Beemer Beater. An ABS type ST was built with a pair of special, brake strength limiters (one for each wheel) plus a special, engine power limiter abbreviated TCS. If some of that sounds a bit trick, then it will come as no surprise that, of the three ST model types, the ABS model type received the most press.

At the other extreme is the ST Police model type, which was not publicized at all among sport touring riders. This non-ABS type is like a standard ST1100 in specification but was built so that it could be easily tailored for use by emergency services. This model type has unique features that include a solo seat and four-way, hazard flashers. Honda invented the term ST1100P to identify their Police model type.

The third and final ST model type consists of all the rest of the STs in the 1100 Series. Honda originally used the now-overworked term "ST1100" to describe this model type. Both the Clymer and the Haynes manuals added the word "standard" to describe it. We can combine both of those two terms to form the term Standard ST1100. We can describe this model type as the Standard ST1100 type. (In other words, a Standard ST1100 is any ST that was factory fitted with neither ABS/TCS nor with Police gear.)

The Standard ST1100 model type incorporated many valuable features. Rather than listing those features, we note that the Standard ST1100 pulled out smartly ahead of the competing Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours (aka GTR1000) in long test rides. The Standard ST’s only real, sport-touring blemish, relative to the Concours, was its higher list price.

But pricing is relative. The early, ABS ST1100A models listed about one fifth, or 20 percent higher than the early, Standard ST1100s. To many riders, that made the winning Standard STs look like a bargain. Another plus for the Standard ST was its relatively widespread availability, compared to the other two ST model types. I looked at the ST production numbers for the first six years of most all STs. The Standard ST1100 model type was generally built then in larger quantities than were the other two ST model types combined.*

In summary, the 1100 Series of STs consists of the following three model types:

The Standard ST1100 model type, which was the most popular of the three types;
The Police ST1100P model type, which was tailored for special use; and
The ABS ST1100A model type, which was quite impressive but always the most expensive when new.

Every ST in the 1100 Series fits into one of those three types; no ST fits into more than one of those types.
And any ST frame number or VIN can be easily decoded to determine which model type fits that ST.

Honda invented the term ST1100/A for its service manual to indicate that the manual applies to both their Standard ST1100 and their ABS ST1100A model types. We can extend that Honda term to form the term ST1100/A/P and thus include also the Police ST1100P type. Then we can attempt a general overview, as follows:

The ST1100/A/P Line or Series or Family of motorcycles consists of the following three ST model types:

The Standard ST1100 model type,
The Police ST1100P model type, and

The ABS ST1100A model type.

That last statement provides a general overview of the 1100 Series of STs, but it discusses only the model-type dimension of STs. For example, the ABS ST1100A model type was extensively revised to form the ABS II models. Important year-to-year differences in STs, such as the ones in that example, suggest that we need to extend the above overview to include a second, important dimension, which is model year. (We should at least go on and discuss ST model years in the context of ST model types.)

*The “production numbers” I looked at were, at first, only the beginning and ending frame and engine numbers as are tabled near the end of Clymer’s chapter 1.
From those, I derived frame production quantities of all non-USA STs built for the first six years of STs, plus of all USA STs built for the first three years of STs, 1990 through 1992.
(USA ST1100/A numbers seemed to be unobtainable after 1992.)

Last edited:
... I seem to recall by the year 2000 those ST1100 were starting to get scarce. I called at least 5 Honda dealers and nobody had one. Said they could order it but did not know when I would get one. Finally lucked out and got one from a dealer that had ordered one in January. It was still in the crate. I bought that baby sight unseen. ... Mine is a 2000 non abs. If I recall, an ABS traction control model retailed for only 1000 dollars more.
I think what you are saying is that no one had an ABS traction control (TCS) model in stock, either.

My first encounter with a Honda ST1100 dealer was in late 1999. He had a Standard ST1100 in stock (which was very educational for me).
But to get an ABS/TCS ST1100A, he would have to order it (in black paint, with California emissions equipment).

By the way, I revised my comment in my original post about availability of the Standard ST1100. It now reads:
... Another plus for the Standard ST was its relatively widespread availability, compared to the other two ST model types. I looked at the ST production numbers for the first six years of most all STs. The Standard ST1100 model type was generally built then in larger quantities than were the other two ST model types combined.* ...

Last edited:
There are two versions of the ABS bikes - ABS prior to 1996 and ABS II, 1996 and later. I'm not sure if the pre 1996 ABS bikes had linked brakes or not.
I agree that there was an early version of the ABS ST1100A model type, and a later version of it which is called ABS II. Only the later, ABS II version had linked brakes.

I'm pretty sure that Honda refers to both versions as ST1100A.
The 92-95 ABS models were not linked and appear to use the same 2-piston calipers as the non-ABS model.
The '92 to '95 ABS models do use the same brake pads, and do have 2-piston calipers front and rear, but I once compared their front calipers to the ones on the '92 to '95 Standard ST1100 and found a noticeable difference in the size/shape of at least one of the front calipers. (I once posted that observation here and got no one to agree or disagree. I think the ABS I models use thicker bolts for mounting the calipers, and that made a difference.)

Last edited:
I agree that there was an early version of the ABS ST1100A model type, and a later version of it which is called ABS II. Only the later, ABS II version had linked brakes.

I'm pretty sure that Honda refers to both versions as ST1100A.
The '92 to '95 ABS models do use the same brake pads, and do have 2-piston calipers front and rear, but I once compared their front calipers to the ones on the '92 to '95 Standard ST1100 and found a noticeable difference in the size/shape of at least one of the front calipers. (I once posted that observation here and got no one to agree or disagree.)
On the Honda parts model lists there is a ST1100 - ST1100A and a ST1100AC - I believe the ST1100 AC is the ABS TCS model with combined brakes

bdalameda and all, we are talking USA parts lists here.
I think the ST1100 is the Standard ST without the importing market (AC or A) indicated;

the ST1100A (not ST1100 A, which has a space between) is the ABS/TCS;

the ST1100 AC is a Standard one with California emissions;

the ST1100 A (with a blank space between) is the Standard model type without California emissions. (The A here stands for American.)
... I believe the ST1100 AC is the ABS TCS model with combined brakes
I think if you have an ABS TCS model with or without the combined brakes, the parts list you should select is called ST1100A AC. The model year will determine linked brakes or not.

Here is the list of 1995 USA ST models from the Ron Ayers parts site: (The fourth one down is the one I just mentioned.)

ST1100 A
ST1100 AC
ST1100A A
ST1100A AC

The third one down (ST1100A A) was never built.

Last edited:
Just found my 2000 sales brochure and the difference between a standard ST1100 and a ST1100 abs is a lot. You get ABS, linked brakes, Traction control, bigger front forks 43mm vs 41 for the standard and radial tires. That is a lot for only $1,000 more than the standard.

Just found my 2000 sales brochure and the difference between a standard ST1100 and a ST1100 abs is a lot. You get ABS, linked brakes, Traction control, bigger front forks 43mm vs 41 for the standard and radial tires. That is a lot for only $1,000 more than the standard.
That’s interesting, the standard came with bias tires stock? The ABSII with radials. I would be curious to know if that was the case for the 96 ABSII when they were first introduced.........

Back
Top Bottom