For those thinking about Staintunes

you will not be regret fitting the staintunes - wonderful on/off idle low rumble is a pleasure to listen to - can't notice any discernable noise at higher speeds. 30 min job. look good and weigh 50% of those poor clogged up things Honda had to produce to meet exisitng EPA laws.

I installed my Staintunes within a month of owning my ST.
Ran with the baffles for a couple of weeks and then took them out. I have yet to have any desire to re-install them.

I have placed 5500 miles on the bike since Nov.06. Cans have been installed about 3K of those miles.

Great sound at idle, with very little detection during steady HWY speeds. More noticable when you crank them up, however, not obnoxious!

I own two other bikes with pipes. The Roadstar has a V&H 2/1 header and is LOUD! The Venture has Bub slip-ons which provides good sound, being nicer all the way around. The Staintunes, with no baffles, are less noisy than these two examples.

I have had numerous, positive comments, from my riding friends. One FJR riding buddy even ordered a set, liking the look and sound on the ST.

Regards,

I will regret the 900.00 missing from my wallet for a sound that I can't hear with my radio on...

Yes they are nice and sound good..I think the price is insane.

Ouch! What a way to slam on the guy bcst1300.:eek:

Somehow I'm not surprised it came from a west coast ST owner living on the island in environment conscious B.C..;)

While I do acknowledge some of your point on emissions controls I doubt the impact of an ST with aftermarket pipes will have an impact onthe bikes emmisions or result in the loss of life.

Having said that, yes we all must do our part however, the rider whom you slammed for having switched his pipes lives in California, the state that leads emission standards for the entire balance of North America and no doubt the reason why all ST's have the stock pipes we have.

He's not preaching NASCAR, F1, WRC, racing a motor boat or flying a plane as a chosen passtime. All which have a far more serious impact on our earth than do the handful of ST's without OEM pipes.

Living in California if he also has a 4 wheel vehicle I am confident his emissions are far more environmentally friendly than 90% of the 4 wheel vehicles the rest of us drive when not on our ST's. Would your car meet his Califonia emmisions standards? If not, will you lead by example and set up and meet them?

You've touched a valid topic but I am afraid adding the angry face and personal attack causes me to say, "Does not play well with others".:cool:

Last edited:
If indeed the stock pipes are there as part of the bikes EPA laws or air pollution controls then removing them is a crime against your children. When do you realize that a narcissistic desire for personal gratification is sociopathic behaviour. I don't have kids but I care enough about what I leave your kids and prefer not to blow crap into their lungs. Preaching aside Does changing the pipes affect the pollution the bike produces or did you just say that to show what a macho guy you are?:mad: I too might like a more growly sound but not at the expense of making my bike a stinker too.

I think some one got up on the wrong side of the rock! :D

Changing the pipes does NOT affect the amount of pollutants it emits. That is all a product, or byproduct of the combustion in the engine. The pipes are merely a method of controlling the volume of sound that the engine produces. Now, you may have a point that yoiu prefer not to assault your children's or neighbors ears by installing straight pipes, but to say that doing so spews more pollutants is incorrect.

Changing the pipes does NOT affect the amount of pollutants it emits.

The stock pipes have catalytic converters near the front of the cans which perform the following:

convert nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen
oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide
oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water
(see Wikipedia)

So pulling them WILL increase "pollution".

Though I can't argue with the improvement in sound.........

you will not be regret fitting the staintunes - wonderful on/off idle low rumble is a pleasure to listen to - can't notice any discernable noise at higher speeds. 30 min job. look good and weigh 50% of those poor clogged up things Honda had to produce to meet exisitng EPA laws.

Can you post some pictures please?

Tell me bcst1300, do you never break a law? If you do, why do feel that you live on the moral high ground and are entitled to chew on the thread originator?

I ride a '97 ST1100 abs, I've had my STAINTUNES for years now. I've never found a more finely engineered exhaust for the ST. Highly recommended.

Ralph

I hate reading ugly retorts on this site. I come here to escape the cruel world for a few minutes a day. Let's be nice, for it is nice to be nice to the nice.

If indeed the stock pipes are there as part of the bikes EPA laws or air pollution controls then removing them is a crime against your children. When do you realize that a narcissistic desire for personal gratification is sociopathic behaviour. I don't have kids but I care enough about what I leave your kids and prefer not to blow crap into their lungs. Preaching aside Does changing the pipes affect the pollution the bike produces or did you just say that to show what a macho guy you are?:mad: I too might like a more growly sound but not at the expense of making my bike a stinker too.

Ummm, I bet If I took my bike with it's after market exaust to a DMV emmissions test facillity (bikes are exempt here from that because the emissions are low anyways...) the readings would still be lower than a one of those four wheeled thingies....have a nice day!:)
( I got two brothers on mine...bought them here for 300.00!!! - they are too LOUD...but the stock ST sounds like a forklift too me!so I'd rather be LOUD!:)

Do they ever go on sale anywhere?

I agree with Kemp. They are no doubt a great addition, but gee, that's a lot of money.

(Although the stock pipes are over $1000 if you ever have to replace them -- also obscene).

The stock pipes have catalytic converters near the front of the cans which perform the following:

convert nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen
oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide
oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water
(see Wikipedia)

So pulling them WILL increase "pollution".

Duly noted...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom