Fork seal/tube protectors

Rubber gaiters protects fork seals and tubes from damage. I installed a set on my 07 wing at 45,000 miles now at 252,000 miles same set of seals. Worth the money.

Attachments

• 20181021_164840.jpg
    20181021_164840.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 126
I am about to replace my leaky fork seals after the Sealmate fix finally stopped fixing them (thanks CYYJ, Dduelin and others who have posted articles on the process). I am going to put some fork protector gaiters on at the same time. For those that have them, what brand & size are recommended?

Thanks!

I am about to replace my leaky fork seals after the Sealmate fix finally stopped fixing them (thanks CYYJ, Dduelin and others who have posted articles on the process). I am going to put some fork protector gaiters on at the same time. For those that have them, what brand & size are recommended?

Thanks!
I used a gaiter that had a Velcro closure so size didn't matter. They fit all.
Unfortunately there is no name on them and I've long ago thrown out the packaging.
With a search, you should be able to find them.
They work great and don't look half bad.

you mean these?

I've put 110,000 miles on my 1300 using these, and only changed the seals once, when I refurbished the forks, Never had a leak (knock on wood).

you mean these?

Yes, thank you for the link.
Very satisfied with them.

As the contrarian I don’t want anything holding moisture against the chrome fork tubes. I live in a coastal subtropical climate and the tubes pit easily enough as is.

I've installed a couple sets of the rubber gators from the early HD models, look nice, protect the fork tubes from rock nicks, and don't trap moisture etc.
The HD ones were very heavy duty rubber and last much longer than the cheap thin rubber stuff you find on dirt bikes.

As the contrarian I don’t want anything holding moisture against the chrome fork tubes. I live in a coastal subtropical climate and the tubes pit easily enough as is.
I have my NOJ guards applied loosely around the upper fork tube, but not over the lower one. It slides around so it doesn't hold any water. Others wrap them tightly over the upper end of the lower fork so they stay in place. They will work either way. Easy to put on, cheap to replace, seems to work well.

I have my NOJ guards applied loosely around the upper fork tube, but not over the lower one. It slides around so it doesn't hold any water. Others wrap them tightly over the upper end of the lower fork so they stay in place. They will work either way. Easy to put on, cheap to replace, seems to work well.
Whatever seems to make sense and feels good I suppose. If mileage is empirical evidence, I put 180,000 miles on my ST1300 and had no fork seal problems with not protecting the tubes. I guess that means not protecting them works about as well as protecting them? Of course not. YMMV, my bike that had gaiters as OEM protection required two sets of fork seals in 77,000 miles. Does that mean gaiters cause fork seals to leak?

I just keep the exposed portion of the forks clean, wiping them off frequently.
Then I rub a little fork oil on them, to lubricate the seals.
So far, no bad seals, but YMMV....

Back
Top Bottom