Front brake hose compatiblity through model years?

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Hello all,

I've recently freshened up the brakes on my 2003 ST1300A with new OEM pads F/R, front caliper rebuild (clean, measure, new seals), front master cylinder rebuild (clean, measure, new seals), and a very very very thorough tip to tail fluid bleeding. The front brake drags a little more than I want (the rear is *perfect*), but the pads are still just bedding in with only a couple of hundred kms driving, and getting better. The rotors are just lukewarm right after riding, and stopping power is very good.

Now the problem: my front brake lines are mushy, and even a Honda mechanic said that he could see and feel some slight swelling when the line is pressurized. I also concur. Rubber brake lines are not a "forever" item, and these are 19 years old... The back brakes and SMC are great in every way, so this is confined to front. I have been trying to find replacement front lines, and the older models (2003-2007) used the following part numbers:

45128-MCS-G02 (right side lower, the long expensive one)
45131-MCS-G01 (left side lower)
45125-MCS-G02 (upper, to the master cylinder)

Everywhere I look online the 45128 and 45131 are listed as discontinued and no longer available. Honda dealership says they can be available, in limited quantity, available maybe by December. Maybe. And they're no bargain either, they'd cost me nearly $400 CDN for the three parts.

What I have found is that the later years (2008-2014) use the same numbers but the suffix has changed, so they're 45128-MCS-R11 and 45131-MCS-R11. Is there any difference between the old and new hoses? The 45125 hose stays the same across the board, so no worries there.

I'm not aware of any changes to the front bakes through the model years, and I'm wondering if there may have been something like a revision to the hoses in materials or internal construction that needed to differentiate between them, but otherwise would fit all models.

Can anyone chime in and share their thoughts?

Thanks! JoeM

Thank you V4 Rider! I checked the site, and it works out to about $281 CDN for the three lines, and I would definitely have to pay duty coming into Canada, maybe another $50-60ish. A bit less than buying here, and a good resource to know of if I really really need to get parts from afar. Although these days, "afar" is only as far away as my keyboard I guess...

I am considering some braided stainless steel + teflon replacements, but they're really $pendy too. Ouch!

Cheers!

Joe M.

To answer the original question

eg 45128-MCS-G02 and 45128-MCS-R11

45128 is the component code. eg brake hose or right lower brake hose. Often the same component code is used for different bikes.
MCS relates to the ST1300
G02 is a variation of the part.

From observation only - For the G02 / R11 code. If the first part is different, the parts are not interchangeable.
If the first part is the same but the number is different, then the part is interchangeable

I don't know whether the 'first part' of the 3 character code is 'G' or 'G0'. Ive never seen a variation in the second part use more than one digit.

But from 2008 the front brakes ARE different. The caliper bodies, the pads, the pad pins, pad springs the pistons, the caliper mounting brackets, the ABS sensor on the right, the SMC on the left and the master cylinder all changed. There is a good chance that the length may be slightly different or the position of the welded arm on the hose's banjo union fitting is different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom