Front disk pad friction

Good morning everyone,
After clean my front brakes, I hear at low speed my brakes pads in contact with the disk.
I lift my front wheel and the friction is light but I can hear when I ride...
I have tried several times to set the fork arms but it is not perfect.. (the wheel turns correctly without brakes)
I read in french maintenance manual 1100ST the specific setting of the front wheel (left brake is already installed)
0-Engage the wheel
1- install axle and don't tighten (just bolt in contact)
2- respect 0.7mm between brake support on left hanside
3- tighten the bolt clamp (below the fork)
4- install right front brake and tighten
5- tighten axle bolt

In item number 2, I don't know where I have to respect that 0.7mm
I have the english maintenance manual but there is no description about it

If someone have one advice? thanks in advance

OP
OP
RYCK
standard , I know it doesn't matter but I would like just clarify the process described in my manual

Bike
VStrom 650
RYCK, bonjour,
Search above for the Squirrelly Front Wheel thread, it'll be easier than typing it all again. Look particularly for the articles by @jfheath which covers the correct installation procedure.
If after fitting the wheel correctly there's still tooooo much noise consider a good anti squeal paste, liqui Moly do a good one.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Aside from the assembly and clearance issues referenced above having front brake noise you can actually hear while riding must mean something is rubbing or seized in place.

When the caliper is off can you push is the pistons relatively easily or are they frozen in place? If so, they need to be cleaned in place or you might have to dissemble to clean the whole of the iston + the seal grooves as well. Does the caliper slide properly on its pins or is it seixed? You should dissemble the caliper and clean and lube the pins. Are your pad retaining clips whole and in the right place? Might as well clean up and lube the pad pins as well. Is your disk scored and/or do you see any rub marks on the caliper?

Potentially a whole range of issues, you'll find detailed info in the ST1100 tech section of the forum.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Look particularly for the articles by @jfheath which covers the correct installation procedure.
Thanks for the quote, Ray - That article was written for the 1300. My belief is that a similar process also applies to the 1100, but I haven't worked on an 1100 since about 2007, so I cannot be sure. The 1100 has the speedo gearbox on the left hand side which has to be positioned correctly, rather than the collar of the 1300.

Regarding the 0.7mm clearance - the bracket has a slot through which the outer part of the brake disc (or rotor) passes. The clearance has to be measured between both sides of that slot and the disc itself. It is difficult to see - because the forks are in the way - but you may be able to see disc passing through the slot if you look through the bike wheel from the left hand side.
I used to rest a (clean) feeler gauge flat on the side of the brake disc, and slide it backwards around the disc surface so that the other end passed through the slot in the caliper.

My brake discs often make a ssshhhh noise when the bike has been in the garage for a couple of days, or after installing new pads.
New pads need to be bedded in.
After not being used for a couple of days, a very light coating of rust will appear on the disc surface - it is difficult to avoid, especially at this time of year. The cold surface attracts condensation and that forms the rust. If it does it after riding it for a while then you may have an issue.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
That may be normal as the pads will kiss the rotors sometimes. At least mine does. When i have front or rear brake work done it is more noticeable but after some miles I hardly notice it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
That may be normal as the pads will kiss the rotors sometimes. At least mine does. When i have front or rear brake work done it is more noticeable but after some miles I hardly notice it.
yeah, I was going to ask the same question regarding how loud is the grinding noise. If the OP has lifted the front wheel and it spins freely, then a little grinding noise of the pads against the rotors is normal, they don't retract completely off the rotor when the brake is released. If he can hear a grinding while riding, then that sounds excessive, but should be easily detectable with the front wheel in the air spinning by hand if its really excessive.

When I installed my pads last time, I accidentally crimped the thin metal part that sits in the caliper U groove where the brake pad tang sits. The pads still went in normally, and the calipers bolted up to the forks/rotors normally, but the pads weren't aligned properly on that caliper and there was a little more friction than normal. You could pull the caliper and double check the pad alignment, but if the wheel is spinning freely when elevated then it seems like its probably normal.

Top Bottom