Front Fork Springs ZX14 compatability?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2006 ST and need to upgrade the springs, and I've got a leaking left fork seal so I can't think of a better time than now. I read in one of the threads that someone was able to pick up a set of used ZX14 springs for there bike and I would like to know if anyone knows what year range and sub modules are compatible? I'm 180lb, 215lb with full riding gear + cargo, and sometimes a 180lb pillion when I hit the open road.
Most of the time it is my daily commuter, which is 20 miles each way, wish it were longer , rain or shine as long as there is no snow or ice on the road, I'm rolling on the St.

I'd much rather put a better set of used fork tubes that are adjustable, and maybe a better rear shock/spring set up from another bike if one exists. Really wanting to do some decent trips this year, and since I live in Central Illinois I need to go several hours just to escape mostly flat farm fields.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I can afford to spend a fortune, I just want to ride. :bl13:

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Get some ST-specific springs from Racetech or Sonic, the ST uses a 45mm fork tube but the ZX would be 43mm so not exactly a good match. I had 1.0kg/mm springs and felt they were a good match for my bike. If you want better handling you'd probably spend a whole lot less fitting Gold Valves to the standard forks than going to all of the trouble of adapting forks from a different bike. Many people make the mistake of thinking forks from a different bike will be somehow "better", what is best is modifying the stock forks with some better springing and damping.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I got some straight rate springs from Traxxion Dynamics which was only around $100 and made a major improvement - less dive etc. Next step would be to get Gold Valves.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I'll add to what @TerryS and @RobbieAG said.
I had Racetech springs in my ST and VFR, and they cost maybe a little over $100.
The springs were sized for my weight, which may or may not be an option with some used springs from another bike.
Racetech, at least, had a chart to help with the spring selection, and I'd imagine that Sonic does the same.

Regards,
Steve

Bike
2004 ST1300
Good point.
I decided to order from Traxxion. The local shops and not too far away shops (Buckhorn) didnt seem too keen on replacing my springs n rebuilding shocks. So ill go where someone will help me.
Im looking at approx $1200 CDN all in for a much improved ride (im hoping).
Anything would be better than whats in my '04 now.

I have some Progressive springs that I used in my '91 for about six months. I ride soft and feel that these are as good as new, I ended up liking the factory springs better and have recently been looking to sell these. Drop me a note if you're interested, we can talk about it.

Top Bottom