front tires, which size

Bike
st1100, klr650
the book calls for either the 110/80 or the 120/70.

which is better.

a casual rider. no dragging the pegs. like getting higher mileage but more interested in traction, straight up or leaning. never above 80mph or so. i see that the 120 has a zr rating while the 110 has a v rating. well below both speeds.

thx for any info

1996 st1100

Is there 2 sizes for the rear tire? Would have expected only one size for the front to match rear tire. the larger tire could affect tip in feel because of the larger profile which depends on the tire manufacturer. but the differences between the two are minimal for handling. I would go with the 120 only because of the speed rating. You never know when a twist of the wrist arises. If the ride is capable of the speed make sure the tire are too. Can't believe Honda would recommend tire rated below vehicle speed rating. Would be asking for law suit.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
110/80 is for the Standard and ABSI, 120/70 is for the ABSII (96 and later) - both are for the front tire.
Different width from rims 3.0 vs 3.5
Saying that, I know folks who have run the 120 on the 110 rim without major issues.
All ST1100s use the same rear rim size 160/70.

OP
OP
Bike
st1100, klr650
all good info. thanks guys.
the book i was quoting was the haynes service manual. i now see that the official honda owner’s manual does call out the 120/70zr18 specifically for the 1996 model.
thanks again for getting me to look a little closer

I had a Clymer manual once that showed ( with pictures) how to replace the pilot bearing on a Honda Civic clutch assembly. I got one from NAPA that didn't fit. after researching it to find out what went wrong, I found out that engine - trans assembly did not use one. Had one manual that called for 28 foot pounds on clutch cover and the bolt were to small for that much torque.
At work we had a manual rewritten by Detroit for a "series 40" engine that was actually a DT 466 International engine rebadged, It was bad enough that they finally copied the International manual and put them in a Detroit binder.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I had a Clymer manual once that showed ( with pictures) how to replace the pilot bearing on a Honda Civic clutch assembly. I got one from NAPA that didn't fit. after researching it to find out what went wrong, I found out that engine - trans assembly did not use one. Had one manual that called for 28 foot pounds on clutch cover and the bolt were to small for that much torque.
At work we had a manual rewritten by Detroit for a "series 40" engine that was actually a DT 466 International engine rebadged, It was bad enough that they finally copied the International manual and put them in a Detroit binder.
You'd get more info for the care and feeding of your ST right here from our team of expert owners. You don't need no stinkin manual;)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Honda makes mistakes?!?!
Say it ain't so!!

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"
Supposedly this was a literal English translation of an old Japanese motorcycle manual.
Actually it wasn't, apparently, but the original translation (or spoof?) is most entertaining. I always thought it to be true. It should be.

I do not think it was a Honda mistake, Probably Clymer, Napa mistake. Where I found truth was from trying to get pilot shaft bearing from the dealer.
What was distracting was the transmission had a input shaft with the nose bearing surface for a pilot shaft bearing. The crankshaft was bored like one fit into it also. I am guessing they are multi use components.
I haven't run into ST manual yet. I also have factory manual for my Concours, ZRX and KLR and have not found any problems yet.
When the stuff happened, most was either before the inter net was common or I did not have a computer. Says how old I am, huh?

Top Bottom