Front Wheel Chock for ST 1300

Bike
ST1300
What is your intended use? Parking?

Where I see them used most is on trailers. Though not many of us trailer a ST around all that much. I also see them used on MC platform style lifts. It makes it easier to get the bike on the lift and hold it while you strap it down. But if you are working on the front of the bike it makes it harder to deal with as you can't turn the front wheel very easy. I do that all the time to make it easier to get fasteners out on the body panels.

For parking, I think there might be some people that use it but I just use the centerstand.

I think the center stand is more secure. It is in the middle of the bike and you don't have the pivot of the steering stem to contend with. I think the front wheel chock is better served as a temporary holder or for use with tie downs.

That seems like overkill just for parking. You should try what light airplane owners sometimes use: a small "C" made of three short pieces of PVC plumbing pipe and two elbows. If you want, you don't even need to glue the joints, so you can break it down and carry it with you. Inch and a half pipe is probably plenty big enough for an ST front wheel.

I use one made of 1" pipe, for my race car at the track. Works great, and I can just drive over it when the time comes to leave the paddock.

I have one from HF that I use for parking n the garage. Bolted it to a piece of plywood that is long enough to be under the rear tire when on the stand and just about as wide as the bike. Makes it a good marker for knowing how much room I need in the garage and reserving a spot for the ST. Yeah i could use the center stand... but I'm lazy, sometimes.

The set-up worked good when I changed the oil, left the front wheel in the chock while I jacked the back and put a wood block under the rear tire. Changed oil and filter then jacked it up and removed wood. No tie-downs needed, no fighting the side and center stand being in the way, no wrapping foil on the exhaust.

Also does double duty when I do trailer the bike.

That chalk suspiciously looks like a Baxley. I have a Baxley for tow purposes. BEST chalk made. Saved me many time in the towing times. Will hold up even a Gold Wing....without tie downs. (But..of course tie downs are needed while moving...) But, for just parking..naw!

Back
Top Bottom