Garmin 550 Died

Bike
ST1300
Any one had this happen with their garmin? turned it on, comes up to loading maps. shuts it's self off. took off bike and put on charger. put it back on, does the same.

Have you tried removing and then re-installing the battery? That worked for me the one time that I had the same problem. Or plug into your computer and make sure your firmware/software is up to date...

Don't have it here at home tonight. Will try plugging it into the computer tomorrow. I can only remember it happening to me several years ago. But then a recharge took care of it. It was like if the battery in the unit wasn't up it wouldn't work off the bikes power.

FYI, the bike's power is ~12V whereas the common USB connector is ~5V. The point being that it's not likely a matter of limitation due to the bike.

Just as Khris mentioned, mine (and many others on this forum) has also required the battery to be removed and reinstalled and the 550 then starts right up. And while the battery is out, gently wipe the contacts with a common pencil eraser.
:)

Sounds like battery is not charged. Remove and clean as others have suggested, use a contact cleaner with lubricant as well. The bike cradle may be corroded, work some contact cleaner with lube into all the pins, excercise them up and down to get it down around the pins. Clean contacts on bottom of Zumo with an eraser and use contact cleaner with lube there too (do this two or three times a year). Put it on the cradle and if it starts up, let it charge for 5 minutes. Remove from cradle and check battery charge condition on the main screen. If low, then it was a contact problem.

If it still won't boot up, charge it on a USB charger for half an hour, remove and try booting up, again check battery charge status. If it is only partially charged yet boots up, it is a contact problem or problem with the cradle.. Of course, fully charge it now that you know.

If it still won't boot up, perform a master reset by pressing the bottom right corner of the touch screen while powering on (press and hold power button for a few seconds then release). You will lose all user data (trip log, etc.) and will have to reset your preferences/audio settings.

Back
Top Bottom