Garmin Customer Service

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I still have and have been using a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. It had been working fine. Way back in 2008 it even survived a head-on crash that totaled my previous ST1100. A few weeks ago I began having trouble with it. I cannot get it to go through the restore procedure and I cannot perform the screen re-calibration procedure either so I can't get it to work properly anymore. I knew Garmin use to offer exchange units. Knowing that they no longer do so I contacted them anyway to ask about getting it repaired. I figured that there is no harm in asking what it would cost to have an estimate done.

Garmin responded within a few hours of my initial contact. They informed me that this unit is much to old and that they no longer provide support for it of any kind other than map updates. In the very same email providing this response, as part of their customer loyalty program, they offered me a discount code of 30% off a brand new 595LM simply because I currently own a Garmin. They did so of their own accord and without me having to ask. They wrote that if I was interested simply respond to the email stating so and they would set it up.

I accepted the offer. They emailed me a secure link that took me to a Garmin order page where the entire order was already completely set up with the discount already applied. All I had to do was agree to the purchase and provide payment. The new GPS was delivered in less than 24 hours from when I submitted the payment. Within a matter of a few days I went from initial contact to their customer support to a new discounted 595LM delivered to my door.

What a pleasant contrast to Sena.

The customer support is first rate, I have found. The technical support is Ok providing you don't ask anything more complicated than the basic stuff - which you can get by reading the manual.

Depending how you use it, you may find that it doesn't seem to behave in a logical manner. In fact it does behave logically - you just have to change your understanding of what it does and how it works - it is very different from the 550. You will probably find that this article helps. I wrote it for the 590, but much of the system is the same and is relevant.

Download the 'All' version of the pdf and keep it handy. (The other 4 pdfs are the same document, but split into 4 sections)
Hi John:

I down-loaded and read this first rate article a long time ago when you first posted it. I will be going through it again now that I have an applicable GPS- sorry, Sat-Nav.

Re: MicroSD card
The manual states;
The device supports microsd memory cards from 4 to 32 GB. It does give any recommendations beyond that however.

I know that there are many different types/speeds of SD cards depending on what their intended use is but I know nothing about them beyond that. I intend to go with a 32 GB card unless there is a good reason not to. I figure go big and not bother ever having to change it again in the future.

Based on your experience can you suggest to me what type of MicroSD card I should get?

Andrew, the guy at my local computer store said to go with a cheap 32 gig card. Speed does not matter much since you will be loading gpx files to the card from basecamp. I believe, if you do not do this - create routes and tracks on your computer using basecamp, then load them onto the micro sd card, the card will remain unused in the gps. On my 590, I go to apps, find the file I want and save and open it as a route or track. it remains on the card and you can retrieve it as many times as you want (though it stays in the other memory once its been opened and used).

...... the card will remain unused in the gps.
Hi Peter:

I haven't even done the first map update yet because I don't have a MicroSD card for it. The maps would not fit on to the GPS internal memory on my 550 and I needed an SD card to update the maps. I thought that the 595 might be the same since the map updates are so big now.
Will all of the map updates fit in to the 595's internal memory?
If so I don't need an SD card to do the update.

32gb is plenty big enough, but if you want extra maps ....
Thanks John- appreciate the information.

Garnin states 4 to 32 GB but I don't know if the 32 is a maximum. They stated a maximum of 4 GB for my 550 and that using a greater capacity card could cause problems. It has had a 16 GB in it for years and has always worked just fine so who knows.

Hi Peter:

I haven't even done the first map update yet because I don't have a MicroSD card for it. The maps would not fit on to the GPS internal memory on my 550 and I needed an SD card to update the maps. I thought that the 595 might be the same since the map updates are so big now.
Will all of the map updates fit in to the 595's internal memory?
If so I don't need an SD card to do the update.
They do on my 590. Not on my old nuvi's though. But they are more than 10 yrs old.

I've got an old nüvi 360 or something. It's entitled to a free map update still after all these years. But the internal memory is too small for the update and it won't address the SD card for additional storage.

Many companies test their kit with certain size cards or RAM. The controllers used may not 'see' more than what's tested or they well may. My computers will often see more memory (varying with a given box) than what the manufacturer claims. That said maybe I should give Garmin a call and see if they'll give me a discount on new kit.

Just an add on about Garmin's service. From the time I saw and bought my first GPS the Garmin 100 at Sun n Fun in I think "93? Garmin have offered superb support for their entire range of units to both dealers and owners. We sold and installed every Garmin aviation unit made up to 2000 when I moved on and have nothing but good to say about them.
Been running Street Pilots and now Zumos for many years with no issues - but if only they can get a map licence from Google - that would be superb.

I've got an old nüvi 360 or something. It's entitled to a free map update still after all these years. But the internal memory is too small for the update and it won't address the SD card for additional storage.
Robert:

That sounds odd. I have a Zumo 660, which is also an older unit. A full set of maps won't fit on the internal memory. But, if I hook the device up to my PC and then launch the Garmin Express application, it offers me two choices: either load the full set of maps onto the SD card, or (if I don't have a SD card installed in the device) it will present a list of sub-regions that I can choose to load to internal memory. Be aware that you won't get the offer to load sub-regions if there is a SD card installed.

So, what I do is remove the SD card, load the sub-region I primarily ride in into internal memory, then disconnect the device, install the SD card, and load the entire mapset into the SD card.

I have found that the device performs faster when it is reading only from internal memory, so I keep the SD card removed (I tape it to the battery so I don't lose it) and only insert the SD card if I ride outside of the region loaded into internal memory.

Hope this helps you. See the photos below, they illustrate the process.

Michael

Garmin Express - Updating Maps of Units with Limited Memory
Garmin Express 1.jpg

Garmin Express 2.jpg

With my Zumo 550 I simply download the map update to my computer only. I then use Garmin MapUpdater to install the maps for the areas around me where I most commonly ride in to the internal memory. The rest of North America I put on an SD card.

Back
Top Bottom