Garmin Zumo 665

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Re: Garmin 660 (665) Group Buy

Be sure to set the internal setup to run through the com system. One setting is for the direct use of earbuds....the other for "inline".....

If you run it into your com and set inline....you'll have plenty of power to hear it...

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Be sure to set the internal setup to run through the com system. One setting is for the direct use of earbuds....the other for "inline".....

If you run it into your com and set inline....you'll have plenty of power to hear it...
Please elaborate more if you can. I'm aware of those types of settings on the 2730 but I don't see any on the 665 like that. There's two volume controls and both are maxed out but if you know of a line in versus headphone setting please let me know where that option is.

Curt

Bike
'06 ST1300

Please elaborate more if you can. I'm aware of those types of settings on the 2730 but I don't see any on the 665 like that. There's two volume controls and both are maxed out but if you know of a line in versus headphone setting please let me know where that option is.

Curt

Curt; I found this thread on a goldwing forum. I wonder if the 665's need to be reset??

http://http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2875858

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Curt
The volume screen w/media, navigation, etc will be all you need, it has the overall volume as well.

At 60% there is little sound, you have to have everything up to 100% but then it's good enough for helmet speakers w/ear plugs in. Doesn't seem quite linear.

If you press and hold the battery indicator on the main screen, eventually you'll get another screen with more info.. the next will get you to a screen where you can change the headphone to lineout but I don't see a difference in sound levels.

Hope that helps some.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

The volume screen w/media, navigation, etc will be all you need, it has the overall volume as well.

At 60% there is little sound, you have to have everything up to 100% but then it's good enough for helmet speakers w/ear plugs in. Doesn't seem quite linear.

If you press and hold the battery indicator on the main screen, eventually you'll get another screen with more info.. the next will get you to a screen where you can change the headphone to lineout but I don't see a difference in sound levels.

Hope that helps some.
Thanks Mellow. I was hoping there would be some kind of diagnostics. That should keep me busy for a while to try and figure this out. I'm also going to test it against a friends 660 today and see if there's a difference.

Apparently there is a hack to increase the volume of spoken/navigation output so I may try that also if I can find the instructions.

Curt

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

After some testing with a friends 660 today it appears that the low volume is just the way it is. I compensated by upping the volume on my mixit which is where I feed all of the audio before sending it to the Starcom.

The added benefit of the Zumo feeding it's audio through the MixIt is that I am able to increase the volume when talking on the phone so I can hear the other person. That's been a limiting factor for a while.

I turned on all the features and finished mounting it up. Now I just need to train myself on how to use it more efficiently.

Thanks to Scooter for babysitting me yesterday while I set it up.

Curt

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here's an idea of what the navweather looks like on the 665, much better than what was avail for the 550.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJAZiQpq2E

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Well when I loaded my waypoints/routes the unit locked up and after 3 hours on the phone with garmin they cannot fix it so we'll see if the seller is willing to take it back and ship me a new one.

Mine is displaying "Cannot unlock maps" which occurred after I tried to load my favorites and routes. All the solutions they have to fix that issue including formatting the flash memory and reloading the entire thing. Leave it to me to corrupt memory.

I'm hoping I can just ship the unit because uninstalling and reinstalling the motorcycle harness is a 5+ hour ordeal.

Curt

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Curt, hope you get a new unit and just start ove

I haven't had any problems so far.

I do have some minor quirks about it though.. when using the 'more map' view, and using the speed as one of the 'data' items... it shows you a little speed sign next to your actual speed with the posted limit - about 80% accurate - and if it says the posted is 60 and you go 61, the numbers in your actual speed turn red and in the 'more map' view that's tough to see.

I'm using the 'more data' view which is easier to read however, in the 'more map' view you get the option of 'distance to next turn' as one of your items to display... in the 'more data' view you don't get that, you get time to next turn... well, that's strange.. I'd rather know I'm 1 mile from my turn than 40 seconds.. Just doesn't make sense that one item is avail for one type of view...

Also, when you zoom in/out it redraws the map a lot slower than the 550 did..

The navweather is how it should have been in the first place, I like that a lot and it's just $3.99/month - We'll see in the coming months just how useful it is in the real world. You can always cancel the stuff and get a refund.

The sound on my 550 always had to be near max to hear w/helmet speakers and ear plugs in and this appears to be the same. I haven't tried this in the truck yet so not sure how loud that will be, the 550 was okay.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #

I do have some minor quirks about it though.. when using the 'more map' view, and using the speed as one of the 'data' items... it shows you a little speed sign next to your actual speed with the posted limit - about 80% accurate - and if it says the posted is 60 and you go 61, the numbers in your actual speed turn red and in the 'more map' view that's tough to see.

I'm using the 'more data' view which is easier to read however, in the 'more map' view you get the option of 'distance to next turn' as one of your items to display... in the 'more data' view you don't get that, you get time to next turn... well, that's strange.. I'd rather know I'm 1 mile from my turn than 40 seconds.. Just doesn't make sense that one item is avail for one type of view...

The navweather is how it should have been in the first place, I like that a lot and it's just $3.99/month - We'll see in the coming months just how useful it is in the real world. You can always cancel the stuff and get a refund.

The sound on my 550 always had to be near max to hear w/helmet speakers and ear plugs in and this appears to be the same. I haven't tried this in the truck yet so not sure how loud that will be, the 550 was okay.
In my 2010 Toyota Camry (company car) when driving on chip seal I cannot hear the 550 at all with volume maxxed out. It may as well not even have audio enabled. Not saying Toyota skimps on sound deadening, you understand, (even though I could hear it just fine on chip seal in my previous company car - a Ford 500).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

In my 2010 Toyota Camry (company car) when driving on chip seal I cannot hear the 550 at all with volume maxxed out. It may as well not even have audio enabled. Not saying Toyota skimps on sound deadening, you understand, (even though I could hear it just fine on chip seal in my previous company car - a Ford 500).
That's strange, in my Tacoma with aggressive AT tires I always heard the 550 just fine.. I'm only talking about the speakerphone part, I never used it for music in the truck.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Oh yeah here's a few pics from the install. Note the fuzeblock wiring. :) It's a bit cramped. The one in the back of the bike is getting close to full.

Curt

Attachments

Bike
None For Now
STOC #

Did anyone get an owner's manual with their 665? My box had been opened when I got it. Looks like the essentials are all there but there is no printed owner's manual included. I downloaded one, which will work, but a printed copy would have been nice to have.

Also, XM "cannot locate my unit ID" and therefore cannot sign me up for NavWeather. They actually searched for about 10 minutes then just hung up on me. Seriously. "click" - gone.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Did anyone get an owner's manual with their 665? My box had been opened when I got it. Looks like the essentials are all there but there is no printed owner's manual included. I downloaded one, which will work, but a printed copy would have been nice to have.

Also, XM "cannot locate my unit ID" and therefore cannot sign me up for NavWeather. They actually searched for about 10 minutes then just hung up on me. Seriously. "click" - gone.
It has to be on for them to find it and you need it to have some view of the sky.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

NavWeather is a different department... they will forward the request there.

On your unit, you can press the tools/settings/xm subscriptions option and it will show you your XM Channels and Data services:

Attachments

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

To answer your question about "weather icon in map view," the answer is "No." There is a media player icon, but no weather icon. I have to go to Menu and select "Weather" to access it.
The weather icon takes a while to come on. 10 to 15 minutes. Stick it in the car and play with it if you can.

Curt

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

So Curt or anyone else. Did you take pics of the install? I'm getting ready to put mine on tomorrow. FYI: this unit is much better at finding addresses than my OEM unit in the Nissan. :D Where did you guys put your unit AND the XM Antenna? I don't have a dash shelf right now.
Here's mine: I found the RAM arm that came in the box was a little too short, so I picked up a "C" length arm separately. I want to use the XM in the truck as well, so it sits on the dash for now. Ran the wires under the dash and back up through a hole I drilled in the the front cowl just under the shelf. You'll note the mic and headphone jacks peeping out of the small vent on the right. Still haven't decided on how I'm going to wire this up to the Autocom.

Attachments

Bike
ST 1300

I found the XM customer service to be less than stellar. Started off on the wrong foot with me when they kept trying to up-sell me to more and longer plans. I'm still shaking my head after I paid for a 1 yr subscription via credit card and received an invoice for payment a week later. Odd thing was the invoice was at a lower price (by $20). They refunded the difference after a phone call. It's obvious that their agents are not 'local' to the USA.

Maybe this is part of their plan to get me to sign up for a lifetime subscription. I'm already dreading the renewal call 12 months from now.

Top Bottom