George's Spring Trip 2010

Ticket came in Colorado, on US-40 north of I-70, west of Denver. Shouldn't have even been there, but my choice. Speed limit should not be 40. I was rolling along nicely, no sweat at all, slowing for the corners and accelerating out. Wasn't even in a hurry, just enjoying the road.

I think I passed this guy and he THOUGHT I was doing 75, then had to run hard to chase me down as he was braking for the turns. THEN (when I became aware he was there) I stopped pretty quickly to let him go by. I really wasn't thinking I was doing anything wrong.

More to come, appearance date is 7-20-2010.

I've been down that road.. what a great road.. I was on my wing a couple years ago on a trip with Trailace and his GS.... we were running a nice speed and came into a small 'almost' city or just a couple of buildings... I slowed down.. to this day I have no idea why.... we hadn't slowed down for anything all day and especially on that road.

Around the corner, there was a local sitting there hiding and shooting radar... we were doing 40...

At the next stop Rick asked me how I knew.. again, just a freak thing...

That road should be 60 at minimum.. man, great road...

Sorry to hear that G... that really sux but a pretty small blip compared to the overall trip.

Looks like luck turned sour when we let go of Mr. Egg.

Coincidence? I think not.

My precious....hissss :twisted:

Well if you ask me we had the luck of the precious Mr. Egg with us on that Guatemala road to Tecnica.

Either that or just having George with us.:bow1:

Either way I am surprisied nobody got seriously hurt while retreating from the river crossing.

George, You were a natural on that road and handled the ST like a DR 400 in deep sand. You made it look easy.

Impressive sight. More on that later.

I noticed that George didn't wear his trademark "stitch, while Danny did. How was it in the heat, and was that the reason Geroge didn't wear his?
Thanks,
Raouf

Must be the additional riding George has been involved in. This serious type riding requires much pie consumption. Pie consumption...as we all know....makes us tubs of goo....or....perception that our stich shrank....shrink, shrank, shrunk....

I lost 13 lbs (189 to 176) during the last two months. Need to update my Tub-Of-Goo entry. (Dana, only one pound to go but I'm home now so it prolly won't happen. :rofl1:)

My First Gear mesh jacket with removable wind-proof/water-proof liner proved perfect for this trip. Plus, it has enuff room under for more gear while the 'Stich is still too tight (maybe gonna spring for a new one soon.) So, good boots, mil-spec BDUs (double knees 'n seat) with cargo pockets, First Gear 3/4 length jacket, vented summer gloves, HJC IS-MAX provided all the gear. Over pants, heated vest, jacket liner were all stored for the duration of the south-of-the-border stretch. All were pressed back into service, plus water-proof gloves and HIGH HEAT during the run from Denver back to Kingman. (Heated grips are on the blink or I would'a used them too!)

Danny didn't wear his 'Stich thru the whole trip, packed a separate jacket for the warm weather. Steve pretty much stayed with the same gear throughout. All in all, I agree we were very lucky to have no bodily injury. Several mirrors 'n turn signals didn't fare as well.

This ride, thru most of the spring 2010, has run the gamut from snow to near 100? sweltering tropical heat back to snow in the mountains of Colorado. Fun stuff! :D

Danny, haven't seen any other posts from you, are you back in NY? Thanks for the tip about the tube on the coolant overflow cap. Would never have guessed. The tech. manual doesn't show either way but the parts catalog shows no tube. I'll read the thread 'bout that just for the added knowledge.

With a 'Must Appear' summons for Hot Sulfur Springs, CO, on July 20, I figure might as well make the most of it. Here's my planned route from Mexican Hat, UT after PuttSTOC.

The following weekend is a Catt Family reunion in Southern Indiana so I'll continue on east. The 20th is Tuesday so I have the rest of the week to get east. All 2-lane, all the time(A2L-ATT). :D

Danny didn't wear his 'Stitch thru the whole trip, packed a separate jacket for the warm weather. Steve pretty much stayed with the same gear throughout. All in all, I agree we were very lucky to have no bodily injury. Several mirrors 'n turn signals didn't fare as well.

Danny, haven't seen any other posts from you, are you back in NY? Thanks for the tip about the tube on the coolant overflow cap. Would never have guessed. The tech. manual doesn't show either way but the parts catalog shows no tube. I'll read the thread 'bout that just for the added knowledge.

Well, just to set the record straight, I did don the Stitch maybe 15 % of the time in Mexico. Some appearances may have gone unnoticed due to other more attractive sites.

017.JPG

And if it's out like this, I'm wearing it.
009.JPG

And for high altitude mountain riding, the stitch is perfect:
Mexico-Belize%2042610%20007.JPG

And if the sun is not right on me, it makes a great bed.
steves%20pics%20027.JPG

Sometime not ;)
Mexico-Belize%2042610%20095.JPG

Yes I am home and working on getting some text out that could better describe and do justice to that Guatemala boat border crossing retreat.

Glad you are safe and sound.
Maybe you'll want to consider meeting with a traffic lawyer in Colorado. May save you $$ in the long run.

...So if everyone is done coddling George for being a menace to society...:D

...So there we were, faced with the prospect of not only a U-turn which is sin enough in these circles, but on a loose rock two track after which we'll be repeating the same goat path that caused Steve so much grief and bike damage going in. My mantra was "our bikes aren't in the river"
Add to that it's late in the day and I'm really tired from the long day of dirt riding so far. I'm not happy, I'm pissed. Never ride pissed.

Don't get me wrong, I started out on dirt bikes and love it. Just not after a 35 year break and not on the Graceful Hippo, and not weak from fatique.
And certainly not pissed.

One difference I asked for going out was that I not be in the lead. George wanted the back so Steve had the lead. He did fine as far as I could tell but I couldn't keep my gaze up high enough to focus where I wanted the bike to be up the road. I kept looking at the piles of loose rocks that were slipping and sliding the bike from one side of the two track over the berm to the other. I kept the throttle up but my grip tightened and I was over compensating.

Swished through one, then two, maybe three spots where I was certain I was going down.

How am I still up, I thought?
Then I wasn't up any more. Low sided on the left side. Pic in Picasa somewhere.
Not to bad, but I just don't want to ride anymore and feel wrong about getting back on.
Three guys make short work of setting me up again and we are off to try again.

No more that a hundred yards down the road, I am again focusing exactly where I don't want to be and I am tight on the grips, throttle on.

Pow, high side. George and Steve eventually showed up and a single minded effort was made to get my hippo on her feet again. This time she was half into the bushes.
I'm shaken beyond riding and words don't even need to be said.
George saw that I was done for the day but where the hell can we pitch a tent here. No place I can see. Nobody even thought to get this pic due to the nature of the get off.

Faced with a hill climb of loose rocks and debris, George just hopped on like a kid and throttled her up to speed and took her right up the middle of the berm as best as berms would allow. I may have been fatiqued and hence delerious, certainly shaking, but I thought I saw a bow wave of rocks and gravel pouring from my front tire. Maybe even a rooster tail following a groove cut into the berm. A sight to lift a fallen riders heart.

Next time you get stuck in a tight turnaround on a loose, sloping surface, try removing the seat. The extra reach to the ground helps a lot with confidence.

Jeeezzz...and I was too chicken to do a u-turn in a sloping, dirt driveway for fear of running straight into one of the dozen or so Graceful Hippos surrounding me!!
High-sided, eh? Dang, Danny! Glad most of the damage was to the Hippo!

Why, yes, Tom, it was. Steve had gone ahead and found a "flat spot" at the top of the rise. It was on the left, with a cell tower and fone building, and a fence. Left side (near side as we approached) had a gate and that's what caught Steve's attention. I rode past on Danny's bike and saw a break in the fence, rode straight in and parked the ST; waked back and got my bike and that's where we camped.

In the end, the adventure turned out to be a learning experience for all, AND it provided us the opportunity to return to Flores for three days of R&R. The ride out was much less stressful the following day, Steve leading the pretty much the whole way at reasonable speed and no more get-offs. Just after returning to pavement is when Danny got his offer of marriage. :rofl1:

Back
Top Bottom