Getting some T31 GTs.

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
Ok, just ordered some T31 GTs, should be here in a few days.
Now to take the wheels off.

I’m excited to get some good tires on, as my current set is a mismatch, and the rear tire was not GT rated, nor was it an exact fit. (A bit slimmer than reccomended.)

Bike
VStrom 650
Ok, just ordered some T31 GTs, should be here in a few days.
Now to take the wheels off.

I’m excited to get some good tires on, as my current set is a mismatch, and the rear tire was not GT rated, nor was it an exact fit. (A bit slimmer than reccomended.)
Why do they do that :doh1:.
Good choice with the 31.
Upt'North.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
should be an hour's worth of work ...
If you have already done it a few times. It would take me much longer on my first try. I brought my 31’s to a motorcycle shop with the wheels to get done. I was afraid of damaging the rim but have seen a few tricks of the trade here. I will attempt it next tire change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tmoldovan
Bike
2007 STinkerbell
Why do they do that :doh1:.
Good choice with the 31.
Upt'North.
Oh, that is on me. I let my rear tire go a bit too long, and had to do an emergency install last get together in Spearfish. It was slim pickings naturally, so I had to take whatever would get me home.
So, nobody‘s fault but mine.

I do have the shop put the tires for me. They don’t charge any labor, as long as I just bring the wheels in and they dont have to take them off.
I had removed the front once by myself, but the rear one will be a new experience.
Luckily, I did remove both of them on my son‘s Shadow recently, so I think that will help.

Bike
VStrom 650
Oh, that is on me. I let my rear tire go a bit too long, and had to do an emergency install last get together in Spearfish. It was slim pickings naturally, so I had to take whatever would get me home.
So, nobody‘s fault but mine.

I do have the shop put the tires for me. They don’t charge any labor, as long as I just bring the wheels in and they dont have to take them off.
I had removed the front once by myself, but the rear one will be a new experience.
Luckily, I did remove both of them on my son‘s Shadow recently, so I think that will help.
Likewise, I've got a "little chap" who gets my tyres in and fits them, ex Honda mechanic in the day.
He charges nowt for fitting and the tyres are well priced too. Although I know there's plenty of profit in tyres so he gets to feed the family.
Upt'North.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I got my 31s before the 32s came out. They handled really well in some spirited riding at arkanstock last fall.

I'm not sure how one would damage a rim, removing a tire or mounting a new one.
I think he if referring to cosmetic damage, i.e. scratching up the wheel through use of wrong tools or just inexperience.
Ahhh - thanks for clarifying ... I hadn't considered that angle. I know, it's strange to read this ... "changing a tire is second nature" to me, but I've been doing it so long, I don't think much about my technique.

First off, I don't rush it, though it takes no time at all to swap out a tire. Two minutes to remove from rim and about the same time to install (plus time it takes to air it up).

I'm also a minimalist - I achieve the same goal with minimal tools and within the same amount of time as others who've spent hundreds $$$ on tire changing stations.

Seriously ... for "rim protectors", I cut up a plastic water container (think plastic milk container). I use high quality spoons and swap out the tire on the ground, using cardboard as a "protector" and short 2x4's as risers.

Okay, I'm rambling ... and I hear the horses are fidgeting, so need to go feed them ...

Top Bottom