Givi Airflow Conversion

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This pic has been enlarged... Givi3.jpg
Thank you ever so much! I’m very much looking forward to this modification,
I currently have a wind deflector but it’s clamped onto my screen, It’sa pain to adjust and the plastic stoppers on it are easy to loose.
an adjustable screen like the1300 but no worries of motors burning out or gears stripping...I’m huffed.... I’m cooled down by the fact that there’s 6” of snow on the ground and 8 weeks before the weather will be good enough to get the bike out.
Cheers

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Currently I'm running a Laminar Lip on a trashed factory screen. It is much quieter and smoother than the larger Clearview that came on the bike. Since the factory screen is already trashed, I'm curious to see what the Givi setup would be like, and I don't mind cutting holes to do so. I'm wondering what the Givi protection is like compared to the Laminar. Could be a neat spring project.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm curious whether the "Garnish" can handle the extra strain that this mod might cause. I'm thinking I may have to install well nuts at the bottom of the garnish much like we do when the tabs get broken. Just putting it out there.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I'm curious whether the "Garnish" can handle the extra strain that this mod might cause. I'm thinking I may have to install well nuts at the bottom of the garnish much like we do when the tabs get broken. Just putting it out there.
A 5mm nutclip can be fitted there for a shortened windshield “truss screw”, to replace the plastic push-pin. BTDT 130K ago

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Hi All,
I would like to compile a list of screen models that are straight for their entire length (no lip). The reason being is they are the best candidates for an airflow conversion. For example: I understand that Eaglescreens H72 is straight but I have not checked in person.

Are there any others. Can anybody help here?

Regards
Garry

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Clear view makes an 11 inch (280mm) screen that I don't think has any curves $112 US. which is close to your 305mm cut down screen. I checked them out as I like the 4 inch wider portion for the colder seasons giving protection to my arms. that feature isn't available for the 11 inch screen. I have a 20 inch screen with no lip and no" Cats Eye" that I will cut down to use for this project. I didn't see a brand name on it, I will have a closer look later today.

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Hi Kiltman, the 20 inch surface may not be perfectly symmetrical. I suggest checking straightness where the sliders will go. I found my OEM was very slightly asymmetric (less 1mm) while fitting the mounts. It showed up while tightening the latch bolts. This was surprising for OEM but manageable.

Regards
Garry

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Hi Kiltman, the 20 inch surface may not be perfectly symmetrical. I suggest checking straightness where the sliders will go. I found my OEM was very slightly asymmetric (less 1mm) while fitting the mounts. It showed up while tightening the latch bolts. This was surprising for OEM but manageable.

Regards
Garry
I’ve been making a grid on the screen. Once I get the givi airflow I will measure it and line it up with the base screen. Thanks for the tip. (I’m aiming to cut the screen down to 310mm which is close to what you cut yours down to)
Robert

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
I’ve been making a grid on the screen. Once I get the givi airflow I will measure it and line it up with the base screen. Thanks for the tip. (I’m aiming to cut the screen down to 310mm which is close to what you cut yours down to)
Robert
That sounds fine. I put the mounts 4cm from the top to the centre to give me the height range of 430-550mm. Screen has 120mm travel. That suits my 196cm height.
Regards
Garry

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
That suits my 196cm height.
I’m vertically challenged compared to you at 188cm. ;). Having said that, my current clear view screen with the wind deflector is at the 530cm position. So I will basically be doing the same thing with the Givi combo.
that 20 inch screen that I’m using came with my 1990. ST1100, I never did like it, so now it will be repurposed.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Hi All,
I would like to compile a list of screen models that are straight for their entire length (no lip). The reason being is they are the best candidates for an airflow conversion. For example: I understand that Eaglescreens H72 is straight but I have not checked in person.

Are there any others. Can anybody help here?

Regards
Garry
I had a Rifle. It was straight.
Rifle

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It's not for the faint of heart. I have most of it done, I just have to cut out the "Cats Eyes". I had help from my dad, he's 92 and can still operate a band saw with ease.
What I learned.
Drill one 20 mm hole first and assemble the cam unit and mount it. Don't drill the holes for the screws until you try the airflow screen first and make sure it's centered. You might have to make that 20mm hole slightly larger and move it just a touch. Once you're satisfied then drill the screw holes.
Line up the other cam assembly making sure it's lined up properly.

I decided not to cut the screen done to the 305 mm as Garry has done as I'm comfortable with the screen at the 430mm mark and the airflow will take it up to the 550mm mark when I need it to. I shaped the top like my Clearview and I have a lot of sanding and filing to do to smooth out the cut.

Very pleased with the results. Thanks Garry.

Attachments

OP
OP
Garry_Coates
Bike
Honda ST1100 ABS/TCS
STOC #
Well done Kiltman. A dremel with a fine cutting disc is stress free. Now with another 6 hours riding done I am pretty much happy with the result. If a cheap straight screen comes my way I would do the same cut as you at about 420-450mm. This should maximise the laminar flow at the low setting. I have already ordered another mounting kit just in case!

Regards
Garry

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Here it is installed on my bike. Anxious to try it out. It's very easy to adjust, rather slick. Tomorrow the temperature will co-operate so I shall give it a test run.

Attachments

Top Bottom