Going to Glacier in September?

toolman

Smiling Every Day
Bike
'21 R 1250RT
I hope to leverage some of the vast experience on this site to plan a ride to Glacier this year. A group of friends and I plan to moto-camp our way out to Glacier in early September. I have already searched about camping gear and this site was very helpful in that respect.

What I was hoping to find out is if any of you have experience with the weather in that park in early September? I know every fall would be different, but on average is it OK to plan a ride or kind of sketchy? Any observations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am really looking forward to this ride. I figure if we camp, hunt our own squirrels and siphon our gas we can get out there and back for about $15.39.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
My bet is you'll be watching the weather pretty closely...

At Redmond WA (WeSTOC) we road hwy 20 in the 1st week of September out to the Grand Coulee and it was beautiful.

But my sister lived in Whitefish (35 mins from Glacier) for years and I have noted years where she's been moaning about snow pretty early in the year.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
September, in our part of the world, is usually pretty nice. Warm days, cool evenings, clear skies, spectacular scenery!!
As with any mountainous terrain, you may run into snow at higher elevations, but that can happen anywhere. A real plus it that tourist season will be winding down, or over, so traffic should not be a problem.
A nice day loop is from Columbia Falls - Going to the Sun Road - then 89 north (stop for pie at ACL's favorite spot in Babb) - 17/6 to Pincher Creek, Alberta (taking time to go into Waterton Park just north of the border) - 3 to Fernie and Elko - 93 south back to Whitefish/Kalispel. About a 300 mile trip.
Enjoy your trip.
Rod

Rod

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Guess the same question's been in the back of my mind too.
We're leaving PA here 8/22 and heading for Glacier by way of Rt.2. Then down to the Beartooth and Yellowstone. I've been there in July, and don't want the heat of South Dakota again, plus less families on the roads late Aug./early Sept, so we take the chance of a little cooler weather. As said already, when you get high enough, cold is possible ANY time of the year.
We're keeping our fingers crossed!

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
My brother Lee and I will be looping in Glacier and the Highway to the Sun on this year's WeSTOC trek in August. Can't wait!

Should be nice!

<D>

My friend in MT has given me similar information as Rod gave you... in fact, I will be there the 1st week in September myself!

planetoldchild

eric STarck
Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
I have been to Glacier Park twice and both times in September. For years I planned my rides for the week after school was back in. Less traffic, more camping or motel availability, and a slower tourist pace. Once it was so hot that "Going to the sun" was a "jacket off" day of riding (which I never do) and the other was a beautiful fall day and all the colors were changing but it was a cool, beautiful day for a ride and lots of the local critters were out watching us go by. Ride Safe.....

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
One year, '05 it was, checking the weather from Helena on the September morning I was heading to Glacier NP, it had snowed the night before and Going to the Sun was closed. Talking with one of the locals he said they'd get it open again and I headed up anyway. It was open when I got there. It was a cold but especially beautiful trip.

http://members.cox.net/pat_thompson_st/trip05_16.html

Last year, also in September, was blustery and threatening rain but not nearly as cold and not so much snow around.

http://members.cox.net/phartz/Trip_08_html/trip08_16.html

You've just got to watch the weather daily as you approach at that time of year. Chances are the road will be open. Someone told me they always try to keep it open through September. Snow in October will close it. For the winter.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Very cool, have a great ride. We'll be there in July along with Alberta, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, S. Dakota, and a bunch of others :)

OP
OP
toolman

toolman

Smiling Every Day
Bike
'21 R 1250RT
Thanks for the replies, folks. I am way excited about this trip. Hopefully summer won't go too fast, though ...

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Lots'o folks going to be up near Glacier in September. I'll be riding in the 3 Flags Classic; we'll be up near Glacier around the 5th or 6th.:04biker:

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
A riding-east suggestion: if you want to take the pass at speed, try arriving late when everyone's feeding and the sun's at your back. I did Labor Day Weekend two years ago. The next day -- after camping at Two-Medicine Lake (89 and 49 have great twisties) -- I saw sights at the speed limit with the sun also at my back.

Styles

OP
OP
toolman

toolman

Smiling Every Day
Bike
'21 R 1250RT
A riding-east suggestion: if you want to take the pass at speed, try arriving late when everyone's feeding and the sun's at your back. I did Labor Day Weekend two years ago. The next day -- after camping at Two-Medicine Lake (89 and 49 have great twisties) -- I saw sights at the speed limit with the sun also at my back.

Styles
That is a great recommendation and one I probably would not have thought of myself. Thank you, Styles.

I hope to leverage some of the vast experience on this site to plan a ride to Glacier this year. A group of friends and I plan to moto-camp our way out to Glacier in early September. I have already searched about camping gear and this site was very helpful in that respect.

I figure if we camp, hunt our own squirrels and siphon our gas we can get out there and back for about $15.39.
Might even see you there, as I am considering heading back to Vancouver Island via Glacier. I'll keep my eyes open for an ST rider hunting squirrels ;)

Norm

Bike
97 ST1100 Std.
Typically late August and early September are really nice. I live about 3 hours south of Glacier, and have been there a few times in early fall. There is occasionally a freak storm or something that will blow through and put snow on the roads, so you will want to watch the weather closely, but for the most part you should be fine. Typically we have some of our best weather during September as it is not too hot and not too cool.

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
On my annual two-week camping trek this year, I'll be camping at Glacier and then we plan to camp at North Cascades on the way to the Seattle area. We'll be hitting the area in the third week of August. I've never been to the Northwest before (Yellowstone is the farthest I've travelled in that direction) so I know we're in for a treat.

While planning the route, I find that I'm not sure about the distances. I see that, using Hwy 2, it's about 550 miles from Glacier to Cascades. That's doable in a day in this part of the world, but I'm not sure that I can travel that road and get to a park campsite before dark. Any suggestions?

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
On my annual two-week camping trek this year, I'll be camping at Glacier and then we plan to camp at North Cascades on the way to the Seattle area. We'll be hitting the area in the third week of August. I've never been to the Northwest before (Yellowstone is the farthest I've travelled in that direction) so I know we're in for a treat.

While planning the route, I find that I'm not sure about the distances. I see that, using Hwy 2, it's about 550 miles from Glacier to Cascades. That's doable in a day in this part of the world, but I'm not sure that I can travel that road and get to a park campsite before dark. Any suggestions?
For twisties and scenery, I'd maybe suggest an alternative to Hwy 2. Though it might take you longer, I'd try remote secondary roads toward Grand Coulee Dam beyond Newport, Washington -- through Usk, Chewelah, Gifford, Inchelium, and Nespelem -- and then head west via Brewster to Hwy 20. Hwy 20 in Washington over the North Cascades is called DH1. It's not to be missed.

Styles

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
On a subsequent map reading, I see that my tentative route actually follows 20 a lot more than Hwy 2. It looks like if I take 2 to Newport, I can pick up 20 there and take it all the way to Cascades. As far as I can tell, that's the most direct route between the two parks.

After a night in Cascades park, we'll head west and will be searching for a place to camp. Does Olympic NP have good campgrounds? Or, where would you suggest, within <500 miles from Cascades?

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
On a subsequent map reading, I see that my tentative route actually follows 20 a lot more than Hwy 2. It looks like if I take 2 to Newport, I can pick up 20 there and take it all the way to Cascades. As far as I can tell, that's the most direct route between the two parks.

After a night in Cascades park, we'll head west and will be searching for a place to camp. Does Olympic NP have good campgrounds? Or, where would you suggest, within <500 miles from Cascades?
Hwy 20 from Newport is a great road. The route I suggested is just more remote and twisty. If you know where you're camping in North Cascades Park, do head there directly, and as for the Olympics, there are many campgrounds both in the Nat'l Park and Forest. My favorite is Willaby on Lake Quinault.

Styles

Top Bottom