Gold Wing????

Bike
Venture
Have you tested the BMW K1200LT??

Don't, then you will need one of each!!:D

I've tested them both and whichever one I'm closeest to is the one I'm sure will be my next bike.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How is the height of the LT? The last time, and it's been a few years, I sat on one on the showroom floor, it seemed like it was too tall compared to the wing I have. The 1800 Wing is nice, IMO, not an ST, but it's not supposed to be an ST...

I want a yellow GL1800. I just don't see doing 1000 mile days (let alone a 10,000 mile/10 day tour) on the ST. It's just not comfortable enough.

The 1200 LT would be my second choice and all the standard goodies are nice (ABS, heated grips, electric shield, power center stand, etc) but I fear maintenance costs plus dealers are further away. That electric shield and power center stand would be nice though. There's really no way to duplicate those on the Wing (at least I've never seen how).

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Once I changed the seat and risers on my ST it was good for 1000 mile days, no problem... The wing was ready out of the box, at least it was for me, but costs more as well.

I was at "Thunder in the Valley" Johnstown, PA this weekend and test
demo-ed the Harley Ultra Classic Screaming Eagle (List price over $32,000). I went for a 20 mile demo ride. Cruising down the highway at 60 mph, I shook so bad (high frequency vibration) it caused my vision to blur slightly. I initially though what is wrong with me? Why is my vision blurred? And then I realized it was the vibration. I thougth, if this were an all day ride, I would never be able to handle it. Also, I now understand why my Harley friends rarely exceed the speed limit; it vibrates too badly at those speeds.

I actually thought I might buy a Harley (as a second bike, I would keep the ST1300:D ), but the demo ride convinced my otherwise.

The Harley must have excellent drop protection like the ST1300. The demo leader warned me that the bike tips over easily, he said it has tipped over an average of three times each week, but I saw no signs of any damage, and I had no problems.

And last year I test rode the Goldwing at Honda Homecoming. It is a great bike and when I acknowledge that I am getting old, I will probably buy one.;) .

STOC #
Gold Wing

I know how you felt when you did the test ride. I felt the same way three years ago when I test rode the 1800 Wing. I liked it so much I bought it on the spot and haven't regretted it for a moment. However, I also love my 03 ST. It's not quite as comfortable on long trips for me and certainly not as comfortable for my wife, but... while it handles well it can't keep up with the ST in the twisties. The reduced weight and increased lean angle really make a difference. I've just about worn my Wing pegs down leaning into curves that won't even touch the ST pegs. For all the discussion about the Wing having a lower center of gravity I find the ST much more comfortable at slow speed manuvering. It's so balanced that at a stop it is easy to forget that you have to put your foot down. They are sufficiently different to make riding each of them a pleasure. You won't go wrong with the Wing or the ST. It really just depends on your primary riding needs and style. Of course if you can have both......

Bike
Venture
Mellow said:
How is the height of the LT? The last time, and it's been a few years, I sat on one on the showroom floor, it seemed like it was too tall compared to the wing I have. The 1800 Wing is nice, IMO, not an ST, but it's not supposed to be an ST...
05 and 06 LTs, with the different shape and height of seat, actually seem lower than the Wing even with the Wing's air all the way down.

My big draws to the Wing and LT, (other than comfort) are the integrated stereo, passenger intercom and cruise. If a sport touring machine gets those things before I can afford a Wing or LT, I won't get one. Matter of fact, if the ST1300 or FJR1300 had of had those options when I test rode them, I would never have test rode the Wing or LT.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess I don't understand your view, but then, it is your view and I'm not nor do I have the right to tell you it's right or wrong... In fact it's perfectly right, just like mine and just like everyone else's ..

I just don't see how 'integrated stereo, passenger intercom and cruise' changes the ST in a way that it's no longer an ST.. It will still be the same bike, just added accessories that many already add anyway.

I guess I just don't know the difference between a Sport Tourer and a Tourer... Is it weight, accessories, lean angle? Is there a definite line?

Anyway, not trying to start something, it's just that your post got me curious as to where that line is.. Any thoughts? To me, the SPORT part of Sport Touring has nothing to do with any accessories added at the factory or afterwards but the sport geometry and handling of the basic bike...

Bob Hughes

Grounhog One
Joe, I am anxiously waiting to see the '07 on September 8th before I buy an ST and sell my '05 wing. My wife is now a rider on an '06 white VFR with bags and I want an ST to ride beside her. We both love the Goldwing but are ready for a change.

One of the things that we can't live without is a comm system. I will add one but I would love it to be a factory option. All we want to do is talk to each other and plug in our iPods. And if it had cruise control even better but I can live without it.

But I'm with you, with or without that stuff the Wing is not an ST and the ST is not a Wing.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have said this before in other threads, but I'll add it here also. I have both, and they are two completely different handling motorcycles. If I could only have one, it would be the Wing. I have a Grandson in CA and a Grandaughter in NC and when I go to either, it is on the Wing. Even with the Russell saddle, the ST is not as comfortable as the Wing over the long haul.

OP
OP
Budweiser
Ordered my Wing today in Silver (2006 model colours are Candy Red, Black, Silver) Comfort pack comes as standard, heated grips and seats and lower vents. Delivery should take a total of 10/14 days - Will keep the ST 1300 as well - for now anyway. Post some pics if anyones interested :D

Louie Louie

Goldwing

I love the GW...Im always impressed w/ it. The issue is not whether I will get one but rather when? I am enjoying the ST for now but the GW will be next for me. Although I have not ridden in one, I cant imagine how nimble it is from pictures I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am not ready for a wing yet but on a recent trip to NH with a friend who ahs a wing he put my wife on the back of his and I had his wife on mine for a short stint. ( I could have killed him ) My wife liked it alot, I am just not ready yet.:03biker:

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm spending this week in the Finger Lakes area of New York and riding a GL1800. It sure is easy to get used to this bike. So much torgue. Smooth doesn't even begin to describe the engine. Very even powerband. Seat height that makes me very comfortable. My daughter loves her 'throne'. Thank God the wife has her own bike now or I'd be in big trouble. I better shut up now before I get an urge to visit the dealer!

Bike
Venture
Mellow said:
I guess I don't understand your view, but then, it is your view and I'm not nor do I have the right to tell you it's right or wrong... In fact it's perfectly right, just like mine and just like everyone else's ..

I just don't see how 'integrated stereo, passenger intercom and cruise' changes the ST in a way that it's no longer an ST.. It will still be the same bike, just added accessories that many already add anyway.

My thoughts exactly!!! I just came back from a trip to WV mountains, and plan on another to Northern GA, with a possible trip to Deals Gap.. While I'm sure I could navigate the mountain roads on a 'Wing I prefer something a couple hundred pounds less.

Actually I would perfer either an ST900 or and FJR900 with these farkles to make the bikes even lighter and more responsive in the handling dept.

Also if not for the fact I'm trying to find a bike I like that my wife is happy on the back for long rides, I'd already have an FJR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom