goldwing or st? compare, contrast, opinions?

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
What saddle do you have for the ST?

The saddle makes all the difference in the world. With the stock saddle, I made the mistake of riding 1,200 miles over a weekend, and I started paying the price after the first 400. Right after that ride, I got my first RDL for the ST1300 (I've had three now). And I can and have ridden, over 500 miles in one day, and my brother and I did a 3,700-mile ride back in 2016 over 2 weeks, and we both were fine on our ST1300s!
I started out with the stock seat, bad; 200 miles before the pain started! I had it Spencerized a few months after, better; 300 miles! Currently, the bike has a Sargent seat, much better as related to the stock seat; 400 miles. The furthest I have ridden the ST in a day is about 600 miles. I was definitely ready to get off! I had RDL seats on two of my GL 1500s, and could ride all day without any issues. My current GL 1800 has an RDL knockoff on it, Great seat!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Your handlebars are almost as tall as mine! What are they, and what's holding them up?

Mine are fully-extended original Helibars atop extra-tall aftermarket riser clamps:

1669570682621.png 1669570738362.png
Not sure as mine was purchased used like that. It’s got risers plus some metal chromed collars around the bolts holding it all together. I’ve owned the 94 from 2014 and it’s ‘strong like bull’ (and the old collars were a little corroded, so I swapped those out years ago), so I never thought about getting new risers.

I had an ‘06 Wing. Too big. Got an ‘07 ST and loved it for 13 years. Got a 2020 Wing. Aside from the crappy Nav it’s fantastic (hey it’s got car play so…) I’d have to disagree with some posters about weight. Yes she’s heavier than my ole ST, but she wears it way down low. Feels a lot lighter than she actually is. And that low cg helps her mannerisms too. She tracks great in crosswinds and low speed maneuvering is a breeze. My ST felt more top heavy than the Wing. Like I said, I went directly from the ST to the new Wing, so I can compare them directly. Yes, the stock wing’s seat is lower, but I’ve put a RDL on mine, but I don’t mind tip-toeing. They have added a slipper clutch, which is one of the slickest shifting bikes I’ve ever owned. But if you’re tired of shifting, you can get the DCT automatic, which some folks love. The air management is ST-ish, which I thought was fine. It’s not the punch a hole in the wind and smoke cigarettes like the old Goldwings, but in the riding position, it’s great. It’s full of tech which I don’t use mostly. I do use the car play for navigation and only use the Honda nav in emergencies. It monitors your tire pressures and that has come in handy. While it’s gas tank is a mere 5.5 gallons, I’ve been getting the same range as my ST. They’ve tweaked the new engine to be more efficient. The way I ride I used to get about ~230. Now I get ~220ish. I had a Spencerized saddle for the ST and with my RDL I could ride both till dry. In essence, the reason why I love the new GW is because it takes so much after the ST rather than the old GW. Some call it the ST1800, and for good reason.

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The weight of the ST is up high with all of the 7.6 gallons of fuel (I had an 05 ST1300), the weight of the Wing is low with it's fuel under the seat (I had an 06 Wing Comfort/Nav/ABS)... it's really easy to ride in the twisties for it's size. The Wing moves, more than you think it would... torque is your friend.

You can ride the Wing for days on end, very comfortable without a single mod! That can't be said for the ST. I loved my 09 Concours 14, but there were days I wish I would have kept my Wing!

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
In essence, the reason why I love the new GW is because it takes so much after the ST rather than the old GW. Some call it the ST1800, and for good reason.
I agree with this statement.
I had 2 2004 ST's plus a 2018 Super Tenere. I bought a 2016 R1200RT after selling the ST. I needed cruise control and all of the other comforts of a more modern bike. Traded the Tenere in on a 2009 GW. The sold both the RT and the 09 GW for a DCT 2018 Tour - BEST BIKE YET!

STinner

Retired
Bike
2016 Goldwing
2024 Miles
Got back on 2 wheels after a few years hiatus in 2003 with an '04 ST-put 49k on the dial. Was at the STealer for tires when I made the mistake of walking through the showroom.
2007 GW; right color; right mileage had a Corbin seat. Sold the '04 to a guy in Michigan. After riding the '07 for a few years, felt the itch on an '10 ST, but didn't put hardly any miles on it; sold the ST to a man out of town again. Loved the '07 and farkled up the bike with a bunch of goodies-there's pictures somewhere on this site. Anyway Bought a 2016 2 months ago very low mileage-just over 8k on the dial. When I can't ride either wing, I'm done and the bikes, lift and tools/extra parts will be for sale. Bottom line Goldwing over the ST for me since I can still carve the twistys with enthusiasm!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had an ‘06 Wing. Too big. Got an ‘07 ST and loved it for 13 years. Got a 2020 Wing. Aside from the crappy Nav it’s fantastic (hey it’s got car play so…) I’d have to disagree with some posters about weight. Yes she’s heavier than my ole ST, but she wears it way down low. Feels a lot lighter than she actually is. And that low cg helps her mannerisms too. She tracks great in crosswinds and low speed maneuvering is a breeze. My ST felt more top heavy than the Wing. Like I said, I went directly from the ST to the new Wing, so I can compare them directly. Yes, the stock wing’s seat is lower, but I’ve put a RDL on mine, but I don’t mind tip-toeing. They have added a slipper clutch, which is one of the slickest shifting bikes I’ve ever owned. But if you’re tired of shifting, you can get the DCT automatic, which some folks love. The air management is ST-ish, which I thought was fine. It’s not the punch a hole in the wind and smoke cigarettes like the old Goldwings, but in the riding position, it’s great. It’s full of tech which I don’t use mostly. I do use the car play for navigation and only use the Honda nav in emergencies. It monitors your tire pressures and that has come in handy. While it’s gas tank is a mere 5.5 gallons, I’ve been getting the same range as my ST. They’ve tweaked the new engine to be more efficient. The way I ride I used to get about ~230. Now I get ~220ish. I had a Spencerized saddle for the ST and with my RDL I could ride both till dry. In essence, the reason why I love the new GW is because it takes so much after the ST rather than the old GW. Some call it the ST1800, and for good reason.
The odd thing to me is the Oldwing has more horsepower, lighter steering, and more lean angle clearance than the 2018+. For the 1000 miles I rode a 2018 DCT Tour demo bike I had back to back access to older Wings. (I worked in a dealership and took one home on weekends). Even some reviews of the 2018+ mention the difference in handling. Either generation well ridden will surprise how well it handles a curvy road.

Old wing has more horsepower?!? The new one has 5 more hp and is 90lbs lighter. I found it alot quicker than the old model, and that’s in tour mode. I hear the sport mode is alot quicker than that, although I have never tried it - maybe tomorrow. But there are people who prefer the gen 5’s, but being that this is the ST forum, I’d suspect a lot of people on here would love the new wing because it is more like the ST than the old wing.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Old wing has more horsepower?!? The new one has 5 more hp and is 90lbs lighter. I found it alot quicker than the old model, and that’s in tour mode. I hear the sport mode is alot quicker than that, although I have never tried it - maybe tomorrow. But there are people who prefer the gen 5’s, but being that this is the ST forum, I’d suspect a lot of people on here would love the new wing because it is more like the ST than the old wing.
The hp difference between the 1832 cc and 1833 cc has been beat to death for 4 years. But now and again a new discussion pops up.

I suspect you are correct about the preference for the new Wing. I just find it ironic Honda choose to give up a little in the engine department when the rest of the bike advanced 20 years.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I recall years ago, when I would sneer at the Wings, as in my ignorance I viewed them as overly large, heavy, preponderous and unwieldy.
My ignorant opinion was set right when I finally watched a rider who actually knew how to wheel the beast, and he blew me away, as did the bike. Watching couples wearing matching helmets and satin jackets, in large groups riding to the Dairy Queen is NOT all this bike is used for but I simply didn’t know better.
Just like the ST, these machines are extraordinarily flickable and maneuverable, particularly in light of their size. Again, it’s the rider who determines what can be done, but the big bikes are more than capable, and I love watching them in Gymkhana and police bike rodeos.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
The hp difference between the 1832 cc and 1833 cc has been beat to death for 4 years. But now and again a new discussion pops up.

I suspect you are correct about the preference for the new Wing. I just find it ironic Honda choose to give up a little in the engine department when the rest of the bike advanced 20 years.
I feel that my 2018 is by far a better bike then my 2009 or the ST. The DCT is the topper for me - all the power and performance I will ever need. The R1200RT (or the new 1250) would be my other option.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I feel that my 2018 is by far a better bike then my 2009 or the ST. The DCT is the topper for me - all the power and performance I will ever need. The R1200RT (or the new 1250) would be my other option.
I've never ridden a 1200 but heard the difference between that and the 1250 is very noticeable. I also didn't ride the current wing. I remember how surprisingly maneuverable my previous wings were so I'm sure that just got better. I really liked the dash on the new BMWs better than the wings, a personal choice, and that you aren't forced to look at a gps you didn't like. I'm sure I would have been quite happy with a new wing but wanted to try some blue cool-aid... time will tell if I go full-smurf blue..

Bike
2000 ST1100
I'd just say get the bike you like/want and do your home work before you puts your money down. I've opined here many times about how my old ST1100 fits me like a glove. Just the right balance of power and weight. Good enough for tavern hopping or a good 600 mile day in the saddle. I'm just more melded with this machine after buying it 22 years ago new. Could I perhaps meld with another machine? Perhaps but I really don't wanna find out.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Fortunately Mother Honda has dealers that are more inclined than some, to allow test rides.
BMW and Harley may be more liberal than MH but also understand their generally higher barriers to entry (I.e., ownership) requires somewhat more grace and risk tolerance (I.e., exposure) before a prospect can agree to plunk down that much dosh. Or commit to borrowing that much, in many instances.
Of course, at the price point of a new top of the line ‘Wing, we’re certainly in the realm of some Harleys and Bimmers.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've never ridden a 1200 but heard the difference between that and the 1250 is very noticeable. I also didn't ride the current wing. I remember how surprisingly maneuverable my previous wings were so I'm sure that just got better. I really liked the dash on the new BMWs better than the wings, a personal choice, and that you aren't forced to look at a gps you didn't like. I'm sure I would have been quite happy with a new wing but wanted to try some blue cool-aid... time will tell if I go full-smurf blue..
I agree with you about full-smurf blue - my 2016 RT was blue (but then just about every vehicle I have owned was blue). :biggrin: It was the first BMW I had ever owned, and I would still have it if I had purchased an extended warranty and the New Goldwing hadn't come out with the DCT.
BTW - I don't have any problem with the GW GPS, but I also have my BMW Nav V mounted on the bike as well.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Fortunately Mother Honda has dealers that are more inclined than some, to allow test rides.
BMW and Harley may be more liberal than MH but also understand their generally higher barriers to entry (I.e., ownership) requires somewhat more grace and risk tolerance (I.e., exposure) before a prospect can agree to plunk down that much dosh. Or commit to borrowing that much, in many instances.
Of course, at the price point of a new top of the line ‘Wing, we’re certainly in the realm of some Harleys and Bimmers.
Never had a problem with test rides but I had a relationship with the dealerships. Either I bought my bike from them or they repaired it or I got my parts from them. In other words I had a relationship with them. It was my observation that anybody that came in off the street that they did not know got no test rides.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
My local dealerships have a relationship with me.l buy my parts there,tyres,get them installed there.First name basis.Demo rides ,verbottom. 2007 Ottawa Ontario.Wanted to try A Motto-Guzzi Norge.Phoned dealer,& she said l missed their factory demo dats by a week.But aya,come on down,we’ll wheel one off the floor for you. 2.5 hours next day l took a test ride& didn’t like it.
l told him truthfully l still had to try a st1300 out yet.AYA NO PROBLEM.Honda manager is my bud.Over we go.

They gave me the keys & a gas card.”bring it back before we close”. Bought showroom bike.2021, phoned Ottawa Kawi dealer,took out a Versus.Mey not for me.Guy in parking lot said said the Ottawa Suzuki dealer had a dl150 vstro demo bike.what the heck;3 Km away. Didn’t like the looks,Always thought they looked like they had aluminum garbage cans bolted on for panniers.

Well l was “lost” on that bike for an hour.Loved it.Bought the show room Queen.Back& forth 22 days later with car. & trailer.Took my wife out for supper. Life is beautiful. P.s.still loving strom no regrets.
Local, 3 within 1 hour away don’t do demo rides. AYA,no problem.l’ll buy from a stranger.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I've never purchased a bike from a dealer that wouldn't allow me to demo it. A bike is a "want" to me, it's a personal purchase, more so than a car/truck. If it doesn't fit me, doesn't put a smile on my face when I ride it, it's not meant to be. You can't figure that out standing there looking at it... you have to ride it.

Top Bottom