GoldWing vs. ST1300

I would like to read some comments on the ST1300 vs. the GoldWing. I have a 2002 Wing and am contemplating the move to the ST. Are there any ex-Wing riders in "forum land" who have done so....what are your thoughts?
Thanks...Marc

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hmmm, don't think this situation has ever happened... LOL

Actually, I'm going to make a sub forum on just that subject.

We have a few that have gone from a Wing to an ST1300, like me, then back..

If you do a search on GL1800 or Wing you might pull up some of the posts, I'll see what I can do about pulling all of them together.

Personally, I put 50k miles on an '01 GL1800 and then 39K on an '03 ST1300 before getting an '05 GL1800.. It doesn't mean the Wing is better, there are many here that have made the switch and will never be back on a wing 'til they're 90.

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Marc: I, like Joe, switched from a GL1800 to an ST1300, then back to the 05 GL1800....both are wonderful machines, but a lot depends on your riding situation...if you ride with a passanger some of the time or most of the time, you will definitely have to stay with the wing...at least that was my situation. Otherwise, you can dress up the ST with enough farkles to make yourself a semi-mini goldwing and still enjoy the sportbike feel.....tough decision, that's why I now have BOTH. ;)
:03biker:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I'll see if I can get Ray to come over here and give some input.
He and Hope ride 2up on the ST1300 (and are darn hard to keep up with) and love it.

Mark

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
While the ST was way better for two up than many alternatives it was no wing and quite comparatively lacking in stock form. We helped it along and it still isn?t a wing but it is at least very good now.

So far for two up I've ground the butt area of the stock pillion seat down3/4 inch so it leveled out (I dished it a small bit also). I ground a bit off the front corners that hit her leg. I blended into and left the raised front. I routed out the sitting area for a gel pad and put on 3/4 inch of memory foam over that.

Then I went and bought a Sargent for myself and she won't sit on it. I'm sitting on the Sargent and she's using my stock modification pillion seat. Previous to the mod she slid into me every time I braked. With the angle change that stopped and she can ride a good ways now. She slides forward with the Sargent also even though the angle is a lot better than stock. I may send the Sargent pillion back to see if they can make the needed mods in shape and angle for her.

We added lexan air dams under the mirrors which effectively killed the helmet lifting type buffeting she was experiencing. They made it comfortable for her to take on wind with the windshield all the way down in the summer heat now. She had to have the windshield all the way up previously which made me hot.

Otherwise seat-peg relationships etc. all seem quite good for her. The next and likely last thing we will do may be a windshield change for colder weather.

With these changes, she says there is no point in a wing until more years are added to our time on the planet-if then. The bike is working far better comfort wise for her, it carries us easily and with the rear suspension set right handles very well with both of us aboard. The only thing I may lose her to is her own bike since she has her license and on rare occasions gets bored and falls asleep back there from the soothing sounds of the motor.

Just wanted to let you know if you ride two up on a Goldwing, you may very likely need to do a bit of futzing around to get her to be acceptably happy on the ST.

OP
OP
ST vs GL1800

I really appreciate the comments from those that have saddled both the Wing and ST. For our 2up distance driving the Wing will just have to stay...however the ST sure looks like the best ride for "guys" riding on those long weekend runs.
Thanks for all the constructive comments...Marc

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
After a 12 year hiatus we bought a brand new 1999 GoldWing GL1500. It was definitely the best touring bike of the day. We rode it for a couple years and determined it was missing the fun factor. We always ride 2-up. We test rode an ST1100 and GL1800 back to back. The ST1100 was the clear winner of the three. The ST1300 is just that much better in every respect.

If one wants to ride the slab, get a 'Wing. If one wants to travel and play in the twisties, get an ST.

A few other sidenotes we found. The GoldWing was too impersonal riding 2-up. We find we can carry much more for camping on the ST. The 'Wing was too big for much in town riding and too hot for summer riding.

Ray

I was at Honda Homecoming this weekend and had the opportunity to demo ride the Goldwing. My daughter loved it, she said she could ride all day in the passenger seat, verses needing a break every 100 miles on the ST.

There is no doubt it is a great touring machine, and I demo rode the Goldwing with the idea of buying one. But, for me, the ST1300 is just so much more fun, great acceleration from 0-60 and great roll-on from 65 to 90. It puts a smile on my face :)

If I always road 2 up, I would probably have a Wing. But, since most of my riding is solo, I will stick with the ST1300 for now. 2004ST with 19,000 miles.

Top Bottom