Goodby Honda

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Goodby Honda

Yesterday my Colorado Riding buddy and I switched bikes for a romp through the foothills west of the front range. I rode his 2013 FJR 1300, Generation Three, and he rode my 2010 NT700. We had breakfast at Grandpa's in Berthoud CO and then rode along the base of the mountains to Lyons, CO. Here we headed up to Hiway 7 ST. Vrain Canyon. Then continued into Estes Park via the back way on 7. Down to GlennHaven for a Sweetroll from the GlennHaven Country Store. They are repaired/rebuilt and back in business from the devastating floods of last September.

All I can say is I will have a ST1300 and a NT700 up for sale at the end of the riding season. As soon as I get some dental work finished and payed for, I can start getting my finances in order for a 2014, Candy Red FJR. Of course the NT700 was on it's best behavior on the way home yesterday, and Today I rode the ST1300 to Colorado Springs and back, and it also, was on it's best behavior. Go figure. Sorry Honda, your forward thinking is just too forward for this old set in his way, senior. FJR1300, come to daddy.

Honda just lost me to Yamaha and Suzuki. They have the products that I am interested in.

Last edited:
It happens. I recently unloaded my Honda ST1300 and VFR1200F for a Triumph Explorer.

I'm not giving-up on Honda touring bikes for good...

...just for the time being.

a while back I had an FJR1300 and out of the 46 bikes I have had it is one that I really liked. there has not been many that I really liked. they are all good but some better than others. I am sure you will like the new FJR1300
it still needs another gear but they all need something and I wonder how the linked brakes work on it compared to the C14? I hated that on my last C14. it needs a switch to shut that part off.
the Red on the FJR looks good but those black wheels need a trip to the powder coater. just my opinion

I have a riding buddy who is on his third FJR, first one lemon law, second one main wire harness grounding/corrosion issues, third one leaking fork seals then forks destroy by dealer trying to rebuild them at 15,000 mile. Second riding buddy with a FJR has had starting problems after the bike sits for a couple of weeks. I'm not impressed with Yamaha at all, I stick with my st1300

Test rode an FJR in 2006 and ordered an ST 1300 without a test ride. Never regretted it. Then rode a 2014 FJR at Yamaha Demo days about a moth ago, and as soon as I got back on my ST for the ride home, it felt great. ( also rode the FZ-09 ..hated it ... And the Tenere' liked it)

The new FJR-ES is pretty and I sometimes wish my ST had factory cruise control, and heated grips but overall I have been really pleased with my ST. It does sound goofy lol.

Personally I wish Yamaha would bring out an updated Gen 1 FZ-1 with the R-1 crossplane motor and factory bags to compete with the new Ninja 1000. Now THAT might convince me to trade.

Goodby Honda

Yesterday my Colorado Riding buddy and I switched bikes for a romp through the foothills west of the front range. I rode his 2013 FJR 1300, Generation Three, and he rode my 2010 NT700. We had breakfast at Grandpa's in Berthoud CO and then rode along the base of the mountains to Lyons, CO. Here we headed up to Hiway 7 ST. Vrain Canyon. Then continued into Estes Park via the back way on 7. Down to GlennHaven for a Sweetroll from the GlennHaven Country Store. They are repaired/rebuilt and back in business from the devastating floods of last September.

All I can say is I will have a ST1300 and a NT700 up for sale at the end of the riding season. As soon as I get some dental work finished and payed for, I can start getting my finances in order for a 2014, Candy Red FJR. Of course the NT700 was on it's best behavior on the way home yesterday, and Today I rode the ST1300 to Colorado Springs and back, and it also, was on it's best behavior. Go figure. Sorry Honda, your forward thinking is just too forward for this old set in his way, senior. FJR1300, come to daddy.

Honda just lost me to Yamaha and Suzuki. They have the products that I am interested in.

Edit: My 2003 ST has 127000 miles on it and I have had it almost 12 years since new. Being that Honda had not seen a need to up grade the ST and I am lusting for a new bike replacement. The New FJR 1300 just seems to be the logical choice.

Last edited:
If I were to switch bikes the only bike I would get would be the FJR. I just took a trip and a 2013 FJR went by me with a color matched Bestem trunk. It was a sharp looking bike and I couldn't hear it over my radio. As it went by I said maybe someday.

Honda has come up with some of the ugliest products lately. Prime example: VFR 1200. I am kind of worried about what the ST update will look like if the ugly trend continues. Pity, they used to make some good looking bikes.

If I were to switch bikes the only bike I would get would be the FJR. I just took a trip and a 2013 FJR went by me with a color matched Bestem trunk. It was a sharp looking bike and I couldn't hear it over my radio. As it went by I said maybe someday.

Ditto. If my ST went to it's final mile today, it'd be replaced by an FJR.

Honda has come up with some of the ugliest products lately. Prime example: VFR 1200. I am kind of worried about what the ST update will look like if the ugly trend continues. Pity, they used to make some good looking bikes.

How many would they have sold if they styled it like the new 800? They'd have my money already........

Chuck, sell the Wee as well and buy a Tenere. You would then have one bike that does it all.
Mike

Chuck, sell the Wee as well and buy a Tenere. You would then have one bike that does it all.
Mike
Tenere is too heavy for my off road excursions. Wife wants me to get rid of the DR650. Maybe next year I'll replace it with a WR250. The trend is to go lighter and get down to three bikes in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom