Goodbye Spot!

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I pulled the trigger on on Inreach mini 2, got it for $150 off of list. Now comes the learning curve.
That is a good deal. Seems Garmin has pretty good control over the retail pricing. Mind if I ask where you got it?
As for learning.....the curve is a bit steep but short.

I have been told that the latest iPhones (13 or 14+?) have the capability of sending SOS (text, voice??) to the satellite phone network. Even when there is NO cellular connection. I would like to know if that is a suitable substitute for Spot, inReach, etc.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

Found more info about the iPhone satellite capabilities at:
If you already have a new iPhone, it might give the peace of mind sought after.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
That is a good deal. Seems Garmin has pretty good control over the retail pricing. Mind if I ask where you got it?
As for learning.....the curve is a bit steep but short.
In my haste to take advantage of a good deal, thinking it was a mini 2 it turned out to be a mini. I returned it. I did however find a Black Friday Deal from GPS Central in Calgary and picked up the mini 2 for under $400 Canadian. I expect to get it in the next couple of days.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Have used an Inreach Mini for a couple of years. Activate it during the riding / touring season, and deactivate for the rest of the year. Havent had any issues so far. I usually use Earthmate on my Iphone (BT to the Mini) to send messages, set tracking preferences etc.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I should add that the Mini 2 is really not (IMO) worth the upgrade for me as the feature improvements on the Mini 2, I don't use:

• Longer lasting battery in tracking mode. (I still have about 30% left after a 10 hour riding day. I charge it every day anyway)
  • Quicker GPS acquisition by using four satellite networks. (I have no issues waiting a few minutes longer for the Sat reception when I start out in the morning)
  • An automatic track-back feature, helping to return the user to their point of origin. (Dont use this feature)
  • New user interface based on the Garmin watches. (I use Earthmate for all my interaction with the Inreach Mini)
  • Electronic compass display heading even when stationary (I always bring a GPSMAP 62 handheld on bike trips, if I decide to go hiking)

I only bring the Inreach for these reasons:

- Message send and receive if out of cell coverage.
- My wife can follow me on my Garmin Explore Map, and send me messages if out of cell coverage.
- SOS feature in an out of cell coverage.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I found a used SE+ on ADVrider, I think it was out prior to the "first" Mini.
200 bucks.

EDIT: SE "plus", not SE-2.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have used both the Inreach Mini and Mini2. Not enough differences in paying to upgrade from a Mini to a Mini2. The battery life on the Mini2 is a lot better but it is fine on the Mini as well. One thing I use a lot is if you have a Garmin XT or XT2 navigator you can pair it to the Mini or Mini2. When paired you can send satellite text messages or pre-programmed messages directly from the XT or XT2. - It is quick and easy to just pop off a message while you are on the road. I keep my Mini2 in my chest pocket and use My XT2 to communicate. My wife gave me a new Apple Watch Ultra II for Christmas. I guess it too has emergency satellite communication capability but have not looked into this yet. You can get some pretty decent prices on the Garmin products if you watch for sales that seem to pop-up regularly.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I have used both the Inreach Mini and Mini2. Not enough differences in paying to upgrade from a Mini to a Mini2. The battery life on the Mini2 is a lot better but it is fine on the Mini as well. One thing I use a lot is if you have a Garmin XT or XT2 navigator you can pair it to the Mini or Mini2. When paired you can send satellite text messages or pre-programmed messages directly from the XT or XT2. - It is quick and easy to just pop off a message while you are on the road. I keep my Mini2 in my chest pocket and use My XT2 to communicate. My wife gave me a new Apple Watch Ultra II for Christmas. I guess it too has emergency satellite communication capability but have not looked into this yet. You can get some pretty decent prices on the Garmin products if you watch for sales that seem to pop-up regularly.
I really like the XT integration as well....

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Well, my Spot tracker was stolen out of my truck so I was caught with the dilemma of do I leave the subscription running so I can find it when he turns it on or just suspend it to use with my next tracker? I mean, who steals a tracking device? :think1:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I should add that the Mini 2 is really not (IMO) worth the upgrade for me as the feature improvements on the Mini 2, I don't use:

• Longer lasting battery in tracking mode. (I still have about 30% left after a 10 hour riding day. I charge it every day anyway)
  • Quicker GPS acquisition by using four satellite networks. (I have no issues waiting a few minutes longer for the Sat reception when I start out in the morning)
  • An automatic track-back feature, helping to return the user to their point of origin. (Dont use this feature)
  • New user interface based on the Garmin watches. (I use Earthmate for all my interaction with the Inreach Mini)
  • Electronic compass display heading even when stationary (I always bring a GPSMAP 62 handheld on bike trips, if I decide to go hiking)

I only bring the Inreach for these reasons:

- Message send and receive if out of cell coverage.
- My wife can follow me on my Garmin Explore Map, and send me messages if out of cell coverage.
- SOS feature in and out of cell coverage.
I have the original DeLorme inReach SE; Garmin bought them out and almost doubled the price. I was surprised to see you only get about a day of battery life. One of the tradeoffs of making the device smaller; I get probably 5-7 days of life on mine.
The track-back feature looks like it is just a name for a "feature" you get as part of the tracking. I can look back on every ride I've gone on using their online mapping. So the "feature" is simply putting a name to data they collect anyway.

I think the riding environment is different here. It's not uncommon to have dead spots in cell phone coverage in the PNW. Traveling across I-90 (Snoqualmie Pass) is no problem with cell coverage all the way from Seattle to Spokane. But traveling across US-2 (Stevens Pass) is different. But it even applies to local two-lane backroads. Many of the old motorcycle favorites around here are dead zones. I heard of a rider going off the road and they didn't find his body or bike for 5 years.

I'll do like many of you do and suspend my service till I start leaving the area.

As for why someone would steal a tracking device...it costs $350.

Chris

Top Bottom