Grasshoper ST1300 Drivers Backrest Question?

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Tidinova, So far I really like my backrest from Grasshopper. I paid too much, but that is what I get for living in Newfoundland! The material matches the ST seat perfectly. It makes a big difference to have a little something to lean back on. I think it will be even better if I had bar risers and highway pegs. I don't want to make my sport cruiser into a wing but I do want to make it as comfortable as possible. I think you did well to purchase it and will be thrilled with the support it offers.

rubber side down
rob

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Tidinova, So far I really like my backrest from Grasshopper. I paid too much, but that is what I get for living in Newfoundland! The material matches the ST seat perfectly. It makes a big difference to have a little something to lean back on. I think it will be even better if I had bar risers and highway pegs. I don't want to make my sport cruiser into a wing but I do want to make it as comfortable as possible. I think you did well to purchase it and will be thrilled with the support it offers.

rubber side down
rob

Thanks for the reply. USPS says it's in Toronto so hopefully Friday will be the date....

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Got home from work today with a postal message saying it's in. I pick it up tomorrow after 12. I'll take some photos during the install.

Bike
Honda ST1300
Received my backrest from Grasshopper Aug 10 to Newfoundland, Canada. Ordered July 27 on e bay. Paid $82.00 US dollars for it, $40 USD shipping, then customs charge of $30.00 depsite coming USPS.... grrrrrrr

Overall cost me almost $200 Canadian dollars. Disturbing to see others in US paying $90, but that is what I get for living on a beautiful island in the middle of the North Atlantic.
First impression is that it is great. If it prevents me from having one day of back pain, then it is well worth the $200. My wife also says it makes her feel more secure, no issues getting on or off for either of us. Matches original seat great.
After reading you, I just ordered mine. I can’t wait to receive it and try it. But the prices have changed since time, paid $135 cad shipping and customs included. I will get back to you once received

Bike
2007 ST1300
Based on the rave reviews here, I took the plunge today as well. It should arrive sometime in the second or third week of May they said. Will be interested to see how it works.
Haha -- we are getting older now and more of these "comfort" farkles are starting to look better and better right......:biggrin:

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
ordered one today off e-bay

Just curious what the out-the-door price is from flea-bay?

Went on the manufacturer's website and was surprised to see an $18 discount off their list price of $90. https://www.grasshopperlimited.com/honda-st1300-driver/ You have to add it to your cart and proceed to check out before you see the discount. I got so excited I ordered it on the spot. With the $12 flat rate shipping the total was $84. to the states. I already have their passenger backrest and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for the pictures and info everyone. Here's to the added support for creaky backs!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Super, very easy to install
Great pics!

do you recall --does it come with a set screw of some type?
Looking at the site it recommends installing a supplied but optional set screw. Does the driver's backrest have a height adjustment the passenger backrest didn't have. I had the latter and it didn't have any adjustment that I recall.

Does the mounting bracket have holes for the bike's bolts or slots? With the latter removal would be quicker and a set screw be useful. Remove the backrest for around town and put it on for longer rides if that's how you roll.

My Wing buddy is waiting for a driver's backrest for his 2022 Wing. He had one for his 2005 Wing but attaching and removing was a little involved and looked very aftermarket. He rode enforcement motors for 40+ yrs and always had a jacket rolled up and bungied to the seat. Said it made all the difference in the world.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Just curious what the out-the-door price is from flea-bay?

Went on the manufacturer's website and was surprised to see an $18 discount off their list price of $90. https://www.grasshopperlimited.com/honda-st1300-driver/ You have to add it to your cart and proceed to check out before you see the discount. I got so excited I ordered it on the spot. With the $12 flat rate shipping the total was $84. to the states. I already have their passenger backrest and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for the pictures and info everyone. Here's to the added support for creaky backs!
Yes was about the same cost as yours--- like $84 and some change (included tax) -- free delivery.

should be here this week.

Bike
2007 ST1300
When I had my ST I had the Grasshopper on for about 8yrs and never took it off. I loved having it. It is short but is very nice to have when you stretch out on the highway wings.

Skip
Hey Skip--
Some reviews are saying the back rest gives a little to much when leaning on it (metal not thick enough)-- and they had to modify it??
I don't have mine yet so can't tell.
Did you experience this and did you modify yours also?
Hope to see you down the road later this year.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Hey Skip--
Some reviews are saying the back rest gives a little to much when leaning on it (metal not thick enough)-- and they had to modify it??
I don't have mine yet so can't tell.
Did you experience this and did you modify yours also?
Hope to see you down the road later this year.
It will definitely flex. I never felt the need to modify it for strength. If I remember correctly it only comes up to about your hip bones. It isn't something you're going to lean back on it's more of a lower back support. Pretty sure it has vertical adjustment but not much.

Yeah, definitely hope to see you at a future event or RTE somewhere.

Skip

Bike
2007 ST1300
Uh oh--- Look what I got today from the mail lady.

:slv13:

Attachments

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Uh oh--- Look what I got today from the mail lady.
ST-Traveler, I'm curious how you like your backrest so far? I received mine on Friday and attempted to mount it over the weekend. I say attempted because no matter what I did, the seats wouldn't fit together, or on the bike, correctly after the backrest bracket was mounted under the seat bracket. It doesn't seem like the approx. 3mm width of the bracket could possibly have much affect on the seat fitment but, in my case, it does. With the bracket on, once the front seat is positioned on the bike it takes way too much forward-pushing force to fit the rear seat into the front and lock it down. To unlock and remove the rear seat is impossible without taking off the attached front seat with it. Then it's nearly impossible to separate the two seats without loosening the brackets with a wrench. I thought I may have possibly bent something when installing the backrest bracket so I removed it. The seats then fit together and on the bike perfectly as they always have.

I also noticed when I tested the backrest on the bike, it pushed me an uncomfortable amount further forward into the tank. Although maybe I may just be used to riding further back on the seat than I realized.

I called Grasshopper and spoke to Lonnie who asked that I send pictures of the backrest and bracket. He said they've never heard of this and maybe there was a possibility I was sent a backrest for another model of bike. The bracket seems to fit correctly against the seat.

I'm perplexed at this point. Did I get the wrong backrest, a defective one or is there something particular about my bike that is making the fit difficult? To be clear, I have the stock 2 piece seat although the driver's seat has been "Spencerized" but I don't see how that could change anything.

Anyone else have issues with the fit of this? Am I missing something?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hondafarian......My grasshopper back rest went on well and the two seats still separate quite easily. There is a bit more friction when trying to remove one seat, but nothing to worry about.
Try taking some pictures of your situation so we can hopefully see any differences.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
ST-Traveler, I'm curious how you like your backrest so far? I received mine on Friday and attempted to mount it over the weekend. I say attempted because no matter what I did, the seats wouldn't fit together, or on the bike, correctly after the backrest bracket was mounted under the seat bracket. It doesn't seem like the approx. 3mm width of the bracket could possibly have much affect on the seat fitment but, in my case, it does. With the bracket on, once the front seat is positioned on the bike it takes way too much forward-pushing force to fit the rear seat into the front and lock it down. To unlock and remove the rear seat is impossible without taking off the attached front seat with it. Then it's nearly impossible to separate the two seats without loosening the brackets with a wrench. I thought I may have possibly bent something when installing the backrest bracket so I removed it. The seats then fit together and on the bike perfectly as they always have.

I also noticed when I tested the backrest on the bike, it pushed me an uncomfortable amount further forward into the tank. Although maybe I may just be used to riding further back on the seat than I realized.

I called Grasshopper and spoke to Lonnie who asked that I send pictures of the backrest and bracket. He said they've never heard of this and maybe there was a possibility I was sent a backrest for another model of bike. The bracket seems to fit correctly against the seat.

I'm perplexed at this point. Did I get the wrong backrest, a defective one or is there something particular about my bike that is making the fit difficult? To be clear, I have the stock 2 piece seat although the driver's seat has been "Spencerized" but I don't see how that could change anything.

Anyone else have issues with the fit of this? Am I missing something?
I have no problems even remotely like you are describing and love the new back rest. Maybe you got a different model sent to you??
The seat fits just fine and it doesn't push me to far forward. In fact I think it fits me perfectly and gives me much needed back support.
The only down side is I didn't get it sooner.

I am sure they will take care of your issue and hopefully send you out another unit.

Top Bottom