gravity fed fuel tank

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I want to hang a little fuel tank above the bike. My 91 has a fuel delivery problem and I need to get it started, since it's just been sitting.
Below are three options that I've thought of. Which might you choose, and how to get a fuel line connected to any of them?

fuel tanks.jpg

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I don't know if it would be able to stand up to gasoline, but if you're only using it for a few minutes it might work:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
I used to use a fuel tank from a garden tractor that worked great for an aux gravity feed.

Bike
VStrom 650
A small mower type tank with a fuel tap is all you need. Make sure you use the right hose.
I wouldn't use anything without a fuel tap. Petrol is not to be messed with.
Upt.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
UP, you don't need an air vest, you should be looking for a fire suit. Just sayin...
I'm fine by myself, it's when I get out amongst them other people I get hurt ... :biggrin:
You gotta remember that bucket probably had as much corn squeezin's in it as it did real gasoline! ;)

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Awesome solution Ray! but $$ and likely only use it once, or twice.
I would like to make something up cheaply. I have a couple petcocks that might somehow be useful, or just get a shutoff valve.
Need to know how to get a fuel line connected up to one of my tank options. 2 plastic and 1 metal.

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
A bulkhead fitting could be used. I get fitting from Ace Hardware in my area. Drill a hole in the container to fit the fitting. Be sure to select a location that allows a wrench to tighten the nut inside the container. Select a fitting that will connect to your petcock.

1 style of many

bulkhead fitting                                  lube-BH01-993x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Use a hose line splice fitting to connect the petcock hose with the carb hose.

Put the little lawn mower tank (or any gas container) a foot or so above the carbs. Connect the petcock to a hose. Set up a hose to connect to the petcock on one end and the carbs on the other. Put the non-petcock end of the petcock hose in the gas container. Start siphoning gas through the hose with the petcock on. Turn the petcock off. Hook the carb feeding hose to the petcock. Open petcock. If you haven't lost the vacuum, gas should flow to the carbs. Hopefully the head pressure and hoses will flow enough to keep up with the 4 carbs.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Again, how to connect fuel line to the bottle/little lawn mower tank, etc.?
So the answer is to just stick fuel line in the tank and start a siphon?
I'm simply looking for how to put an actual connector of some type into the bottom of a metal or plastic tank, to which fuel line would then be slipped/onto.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I want to hang a little fuel tank above the bike. My 91 has a fuel delivery problem and I need to get it started, since it's just been sitting.
Below are three options that I've thought of. Which might you choose, and how to get a fuel line connected to any of them?

fuel tanks.jpg
Not sure if you solved this yet. Gatorade bottle with bulkhead fitting in lid. Dewhel -6AN Male Flare Bulkhead To 5/16 Hose Barb Fuel Tank Fitting Aluminum (Black, AN6) https://a.co/d/cwDbD3p

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Not sure if you solved this yet. Gatorade bottle with bulkhead fitting in lid. Dewhel -6AN Male Flare Bulkhead To 5/16 Hose Barb Fuel Tank Fitting Aluminum (Black, AN6)
aH-ha .. that's what I'm looking for.. a bulkhead/fuel cell fitting. Thanks
Assuming it can be installed into any of my tank options?

71UVUcCcMOL._AC_SX679_ (1).jpg

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
So the answer is to just stick fuel line in the tank and start a siphon?
I'm simply looking for how to put an actual connector of some type into the bottom of a metal or plastic tank, to which fuel line would then be slipped/onto.
Yes.

see post #11

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Go to a hobby shop and ask for a fuel tank/bladder fitting. Drill a hole and install. Flush mount allows you draw the fuel down lower in the tank. Around 5 bucks.

Attachments

Top Bottom