Growling noise

OK folks. I am new to this forum and a proud new 2005 ST owner. I have had my ST for 2 weeks now and have put 1200 miles on it. At low speeds (20-30 mph) I notice a growling noise in the front of the engine. Does not seem to be RPM specific. I can even pull in the clutch and the sound does not change. Almost sounds like water boiling but the temp is not high.Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
That noise has been discussed in these forums before and is usually common among the 1300's under load at low speed. It should be somewhat RPM specific, generally below 2500 RPM. If it disipates at about 25-30 mph it seems to be normal among most of us.

Ride Safe !!
:biker:

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Yep, sounds almost like engine knock (detonation), but its not. Have the same "noise". I don't worry about it. It's evident below 2500 rpm or so, even at very light loads. You can also hear when you start off from standstill in first gear (1000-2500 rpm).

I have the same. Nothing to worry about, but I tend to keep the revs up a bit to avoid it.. Of course it could be the tiger in my tank. :p:

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I accepted the noise thinking it was normal for quite a while. I also thought I had a problem with bad gas or something causing detonation.

I adjusted the counterbalancers and the the growl and detonation sounds went away.

Ray

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
nm6r said:
I accepted the noise thinking it was normal for quite a while. I also thought I had a problem with bad gas or something causing detonation.

I adjusted the counterbalancers and the the growl and detonation sounds went away.

Ray
Hmm, I might try that this weekend, and see if I can get it to dissapear too.

crinteastwood

Flatlands of Canada
STOC #
Counterbalancer adjustment will probably do more for this noise than you would believe - worked in my case - was the best 10 minute "fix" that the bike has ever needed
Mick :04biker:

nm6r said:

Ray
When you did this adjustment did you get it right the first time with the bike off, or did you go back and "fine tune" it with the engine running?

I ask because I did it with the engine off, like the shop manual says and I didn't notice anything. Then I had to button everything back up and haven't tried it with the motor running yet(also mentioned in the manual).

Scott

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I did the rough adjustment with the engine off. Then started the engine and adjusted by ear. If (when) I do it again, it will only be with the engine running. I don't know if things change over time and this needs to be done periodically or not. I figure it couldn't hurt.

I also thought my ST was smooth all along. It got smoother after the adjustment.

Ray

OP
OP
I appricate everyones replies. I will try the balance shaft adjustment this weekend. I think that this is a different noise though. Discribing noise in the written form is proving to be quite difficult. This noise is most audible when the bike is at temp and I am coasting to a stop (around 20 MPH or so) the "boiling/growling" noise starts. Seems to go away after I come to a complete stop. Again this is not RPM related.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Rear gears?

Could it be your ring and pinion in you final drive? Mine is audible at about 40-50mph and somewhat at lower speeds. Maybe check/change the gear oil and look in there with a flashlight at the ring gear and look for a "cigar" shaped wear pattern somewhat centered on gear tooth face and examine oil for unusual debris.

nm6r said:
I did the rough adjustment with the engine off. Then started the engine and adjusted by ear. If (when) I do it again, it will only be with the engine running. I don't know if things change over time and this needs to be done periodically or not. I figure it couldn't hurt.

I also thought my ST was smooth all along. It got smoother after the adjustment.

Ray
Thankyou, I will do it again with engine running.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
It may be as simple as a cooling fan kicking on. We have had a very hot September, here in Dallas, and my fan often kicks in and runs hard at stops (or maybe that's just when I hear it)....and it does sort of make a "growling" sound.....

OP
OP
uptoblackwood said:
It may be as simple as a cooling fan kicking on. We have had a very hot September, here in Dallas, and my fan often kicks in and runs hard at stops (or maybe that's just when I hear it)....and it does sort of make a "growling" sound.....
I think you might have nailed it. Did not even think about the fan :eek::

getting a bit off the thread, but here in the UK it was Esso who did the "Tiger in Your Tank" promotion, complete with Tiger tails to tie onto your arial. I seem to remember they followed up with another promotion giving away stick on bullet holes for the windows - didnt go down as well :cool:

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Exxon was previously known as Humble Oil Co. in the States, then the merger with Esso created Exxon. Back in the glory days, Humble sponsored the Southwest Conference Football Network and used the slogan that their gas would put a tiger in your tank.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I think I've found the source of the growl.
It's an angry, envious Harley rider, resentful because of his poor choice of rides. :D

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Update

Adjusted the balancers this afternoon. I only adjusted with a warm running engine. Both upper and lower shafts were off at least two ticks. In other words, I had to turn them about 2 1/4 tick toward start of whine. I then backed them off just enough to not hear the whine. Tightened up, slapped the cowling on, and went for a testride. The growling starting from a stop is gone, and the low RPM growling is gone. It feels a little smoother too. Nice. Thanks Ray.

Top Bottom