GWRRA and Wing Ding is no more!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Back in 1982 my father's Goldwing made the cover of their magazine... Sad to see it stop.

Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
Watched the announcement earlier. Was a member when I had my '90 and 2015 Wings. Liked getting the magazine and attending Wing Ding occasionally. 2nd of the more "official" groups I've been a part of that's folded along with the old Honda Red Rider group. Sad to see it go.

OP
OP
Diggers1300

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The GWRRA talked about membership being down for years now. Covid hurt them as well since folks haven't been gathering together for the last two years. Also sounded as if the folks running it were ready to step down and replacement leaders were lacking.

My two cents... The younger generation doesn't seem to put too much stock in club membership of any kind. That has been my observation.

When I read this a few hours ago, I checked both websites, and didn't see any announcements ... am I technically challenged?

Bike
2000 ST1100
If this is true it should not shock anyone. Our group that meets once a week the youngest guy is probably 65 and the oldest Sam is about 83. No young riders in our group. Same way with any motorcycle gathering. Harly Davidson Honda Yamaha you name it. Right now the Old guys are the ones supporting the sport of motorcycling riding. As we age out who will replace us?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Two friends of mine who've been heavily involved nearly since the beginning of GWRRA talk about lack of membership, lack of leadership and continuity, and genuine lack of interest from the younger generation in both Goldwings and motorcycles.
Even Scott from Goldwingdocs mentions leadership problems. https://goldwingdocs.com/

Also: https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Environment/Honda-peers-to-ride-20-motorcycles-off-into-the-sunset-this-year

I suspect the Grand Canyon will become the new dumping area for old batteries now that companies are being forced to move toward electric - but that's just me!

I've never been one to love group riding, but I am sad to see both the motorcycle and the spirit of the GWRRA pass on.
I recall when the Goldwing was introduced and it truly was the "Gold Standard".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggers1300

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It's not just motorcycling. It's any kind of group. - fly fishing, fishing in general, kayaking, hunting,, etc. If it can't be done behind a keyboard or on their phone, they aren't interested. Especially if it involves being outdoors.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
In Ontario, you have to take 2 courses (maybe more now) to get a possession/ acquision lic.& hunting licence.&500.00 last l heard.plus your gun & gear. Out of reach,or discouraging. Bike insurance f’getabout it.

OP
OP
Diggers1300

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I fell your pain Jethro. It's not that bad in the States... yet.

After rereading my previous post, I need to clarify...

I'm not down on today's youth or any generation's youth for that matter. Kids only know what they are taught. I blame the parents. My son is in the Army, fishes, and tours the country when he can on his FJR1300 with his wife. I believe I had alot of influence in that.

Today's parents use the devices and gadgets as a babysitter. Teaching children to hunt and fish or do anything outdoors means they will need to be involved. Every kid that I have taken out in a kayak for fishing or just for fun thoroughly love it. I have taught many kids to fly fish and they get hooked, no pun intended. They never follow up with it because it is not a priority to the parents. And that could be because of time or money or even the parents own interest level and I understand that. But we must invest in our kids if they are to become not just productive individuals but happy human beings.

Rant off.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I tell young parents -

"Kids remember what you do with them not so much what you do for them."

My 'baby' girl is 42 and she still talks about the times it was just her and me on a all-day motorcycle ride. ;)
She also talks something about taking curves really fast but I don't understand that part ... :biggrin:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Sad note, about the passing of GWRRA.
I agree with the gist of the above comments, in that on the whole, the motorcycle industry is aging out, due to people like me.
But this time, it's really not my fault... I didn't start out, trying to get old.
Those we raised up, mostly found other shiny objects more entertaining and more interesting, even if they're wrong.
And they ARE wrong.
The very few things in life more enjoyable, challenging and satisfying (and there ain't that many) than riding, do not include digital devices or keyboards.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Everything seems to go in cycles (see what I did there?)... Motorcycles used to be a rare scene on the roads and just a few daring individuals around even thinking about them... seems the numbers may dwindle down for a while 'til some 'thing' triggers a spike... could be a movie... commercials... or... they will just fade away and we were the lucky ones that experienced it in it's peak... even futuristic movies have them so we'll see... well, someone will see, after another 20 years of riding I won't care anymore... or even comprehend that I cared at all .. :rofl1: Hey!... meatloaf again for dinner!

Top Bottom