Hankook Ventus V2 concept2; post-report

Hankook Ventus V2 concept2; double darkside; post-report. With the BT45 130/70 rear on the front.

Just posting on this double darkside rear, for reference.
Recently changed out this rear after 30,000 miles.
It fits fine and performs fine.
Never had any issues with it, but can't say I ever thought it was terrific.
It did the job, cheap, no complaints.
Could have squeezed a few more miles out of it, but had a plug that had been in for a good 10k so didn't want to push it.

This was my second DD. First was with the BFG g-Force Comp 2 A/S. That rear did feel terrific, but it did rub inside the plastic "fenderwell" and actually rubbed a hole in it (two-up and loaded). Got 32,000 out of this one.

Attachments

Reactions: Obo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Curious about the reason for a rear on the front, doesn't seam the size is big enough to warrant the change, asking for a friend.
Significantly increased mileage before replacement is required versus a regular front tire. Done to increase mileage intervals between replacements as is the reason for the rear dark-side tire.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Significantly increased mileage before replacement is required versus a regular front tire. Done to increase mileage intervals between replacements as is the reason for the rear dark-side tire.
Thank you , because of tread depth? My M/C rear is deeper, but I get almost a 2-1 on mileage from my front. Guessing throttle has something to do with that.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
More tread depth. Wider so the larger contact patch distributes forces better. The larger contact patch allows it to distribute heat better so it runs cooler. Rear often have a higher load index so they are less stressed when they are on the front. And, depending on the tire, many rear tires have a different chemical recipe than the front tire of the same manufacturer and model because they are designed for the additional forces that a rear tire are subjected to that a front tire is not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curious about the reason for a rear on the front, doesn't seam the size is big enough to warrant the change, asking for a friend.
I tried it after reading on this forum.
In addition to the reasons already listed, i find that it gives back the small amount of MC handling and feel that is lost when using just a darkside rear.
My current double darkside setup of Toyo Extensa with BT46 is giving the sharpest handling I have had besides Avon Storms.

Top Bottom