Harbor Freight 1000lbs motorcycle lift

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
There are two different models of the harbor freight lift. One with the long thin jack, one with a shorter model that looks liek a standard home hydraulic jack.

There is a height difference between the two. The caster wheels on the bottom are different too.
I'm not at home, can't measure mine.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Another question. How far is it from the front of the lift to the back side of the chock? I may be able to let that stick out in front under the bumper.
You can mod the chock. I pulled the cruddy chock and put on the condor imitation one. Used 4 allen bolts that come on from the top.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Wheel stop ( Black piece in photos) is fastened with two bolts. Tire clamp two bolts also . Clamp has three optional positions as supplied . Approximately 13 " - 14 " to back of clamp from front edge of table
When installed at forwardmost position.image.jpg

Has anyone ever bought or used this lift? I'm considering it. I know it's cheapo but I just don't have the cash for the heavy duty ones. I'm fully aware of the "you get what you pay for" but if it lifts the bike and brings it back down, then it'll work. It would be used probably 1-3 times a year. Not a lot.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

Dave
I have pretty much ch the same one. Badged as a Sealey. Bikes on it now actually . Yrs, it goes up and down. But, the tables rocks from side to side a bit too much for my liking so I mostly use it in the down position and even being six inches up is a great help for getting under and around the bike. Not to sure if the more expensive ones rock so much side to side

Back when the MotoGuild Philly was open, I was putting my bike up on one of their lifts and I remember the panic of trying to keep the bike balanced. Riding up on it seems like a good idea until you realize there is such a small area to put your feet down. Maybe I'm a wimp (I'm not) but I believe putting a bike up on a lift is a 2-person job.

So, yeah, I have a HEALTHY respect for that process.
I agree, I dropped my bmw a few years ago. Always two people now

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
eBay had some ramps on sale that are made for my lift, so last month I grabbed a set. Sure makes getting the bike on and off much easier!

Lift-Ramp.jpg

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
After I got my used hydralic / pneumatic lift I took a few measurements and had Home Depot staff use their large panel saw to do most of the cuts on the 2 pieces of tongue and groove 3/4" plywood. I made 2 platforms about 30" wide, 7' long and 6"high and they fit just under the edge of the lift table to stabilize it. I just lay the platforms down overlapping the ramp. The oversized platforms make riding up under power a one person piece of cake. I then put the bike on its centerstand and it's pretty stable. The platforms have legs and I then convert them to tables for tools or laying out plastic bits as I strip the bike. Most commercial table legs put the table top way too low for me and they can be, literally, a pain to use. My tables are about 36" or counter top high. While I haven't used this feature yet the T & G edge allows me to join the 2 tables into a larger one for large woodworking projects or whatever else might require a 60" by 84" work surface. When the lift in not in use I leave it locked at the mid setting and stack the 2 platforms on top of it and I use this as a table as space is always tight in a 2 car garage.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The wheel chock is easily removable. It's a bit of a pita, but no real problem if you are going to use the lift only now and then. How about tilting it up and leaning it against the wall? I have no idea what this might do for the little hydraulic jack that powers the thing. I have one and its stored against the wall under a not running Moto Guzzi (it's in use - sort of....).

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
How about tilting it up and leaning it against the wall? I have no idea what this might do for the little hydraulic jack that powers the thing.
I have a made in China lift that is the same as the Harbor Freight one. I have it stored standing up against a wall perfectly vertical along its length when it is not in use- which is most of the time. I have stored it like this since I bought it at least 7 or 8 years ago. When I lay it down on the floor it has always worked just fine. I have not had any problem with the hydraulic cylinder. It has never even leaked any fluid while standing up.

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
I realize this thread is from 2018 but I had to jump in with my experience. I have the Harbor Freight Pittsburg I bought 6 years ago. I’ve never had any issues with it and I’ve had Shadows, V-stars, Goldwings, Vulcans, and my ST1300 on it. I waited for the $249 coupon that comes out several times a year. I’ve saved myself thousands in labor costs by having my own tools. Just remember to strap down to the frame before getting off and hoisting. I also have the motorcycle jack for in and out oil changes. No complaints about that one either.

I realize this thread is from 2018 ...
I just bought one of these without understanding how they fit on the bike. I think it's useless for me as the after support bears on the exhaust headers, which seems less than ideal to me. Has anyone successfully used one of these lifts? Seems like they can only work on Harleys and the like with lower frame rails.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I prefer more support for the bike than what your pictured lift offers. A table type lift will provide the same stability as parking the bike on a garage floor, and many offer multiple tie down points if you are removing the wheel(s). I added a 2' sq piece of 1/4" steel plate that just sits on my HF lift where the center stand touches down. I did this after denting the not so sturdy HF decking. I also drilled 3 or 4 holes along each side of the HF lift out along the edge. Two eye bolts with big fender washers were placed in holes fore and aft on each side for tie down straps. The extra holes were for other bikes.

Top Bottom