Hard to Shift into Neutral

Bike
05 ST1300
I have an 05 ST1300 with 93,000 miles on it. I just put in a new clutch pack (OEM), new master slave cylinder and have bled the heck out of the clutch fluid. I put in Mobile 1 10W40 motorcycle oil and used Prestone DOT 4 clutch fluid, cleaned and lubed the shift linkage making sure there are no obstructions or play in the linkage. Before I replaced the previously stated parts, I did not have the issue and difficulty of shifting into neutral. I have already searched previous threads on the forums, and they have recommended bleeding, clean and lube shift linkage. I am wondering if there are any other recommendations? Thank you

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

Did you soak the fiber plates in oil before assembly?

The clutch pack is thicker now, so it thinks you're not pulling the lever as far in. It will wear in over time, increasing clearance.

OP
OP
treejumper
Bike
05 ST1300
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I did soak the plates with oil in a ziplock bag before I installed them. I did not know the pack is thicker, I'll just have to break it in and get a good forearm workout at the traffic lights.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Private message sent, standing by the white courtesy phone.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A few things clutch related…
Did you make sure all the clutch plates had the sharp edge facing outwards?
Did you install the spacer and shudder ring in the basket in the correct position?
Did you offset the last plate going in the basket?
The very first thing I would check is the shift linkage shaft (splines) if you put it back on even one spline off, forward or rearward, it will bind and cause issues, trying to shift into neutral or gear.
Mark the shaft end with a sharpie, remove it and move it one spline, in either direction and see if it helps, then try the other direction.
My number is on the RAN list under Arizona if you want to discuss it.

Bike
R1200rt
Welcome to the forum.

The clutch pack is thicker now, so it thinks you're not pulling the lever as far in. It will wear in over time, increasing clearance.
Since when do clutch plates think?:rofl1:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've had this problem on and off over the years. Look at the shift linkage, the rod passes through a boss that can get debris built up, also check the Hyme joints. It's a PIA to do but will smooth out the shifting.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting just like hydraulic brakes are. The amount of play remains constant as long as master and slave components are within specifications. The OP has some things listed above to check but thickness of clutch pack probably isn’t the problem.

Top Bottom