Has anyone used the Doran Tire Pressure Monitor?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I haven't purchased a set yet (still got ~5K left on the current tires,) but they look like the best system currently available now that the SmartTire isn't marketed for motorcycles anymore. (My SmartTire sensors were destroyed by improper tire mounting at the shop, and the automotive replacement sensor doesn't seem to work with the MC system.) The Doran allows internal mounting of the sensor, and wiring of the display to the bike's electrical system; both are important in my estimation. The only downside I see is the lack of a temperature indication (probably not critical, but the SmartTire had it,) and the apparent need to use the Doran stems for internal mounting. I'd like to keep my Ariete angled stems, but the ninety degree Dorans look like they're a close second.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has mounted the Doran internally yet.

Don't overlook the TireGard system. I have had mine for a couple of months now and so far I am very pleased with.

Installation is very easy - Screw the external sensors onto the valve stems. In my opinion, metal valve stems should be required. The receiver is designed to be a key fob - I made a little bracket for it

about $150 at WingStuff.com

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
One thing to remember about the Doran is there is a 6 min delay before a reading it displayed on 'start up'.

So, you may want to hook the power to 'switched power' so you can just turn your key to the acc position and give it time for that initial reading.

I have the Doran on another bike of mine, it came with it when I bought the bike (used). In NO WAY should you mount the sensor on a rubber stem, simply NOT SAFE. I'm not sure if replacement stems come with the unit or not, the sensors on my bike are mounted inside the rim.

Mellow is correct, it does take several minutes to get an accurate reading. Hence, I still check my tire pressure by hand on a regular basis. Having it mounted on the inside means it is simple to check the pressure by hand, I do not need to take the sensors off (if you go with a locking method).

I will also tell you that I will NOT drive a moto without a sensor. I have had a hole 3 times and the sensors have alerted me before it got too low or dangerous.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm curious how easy tire changes are with those inside the rim... looks like you have to be very careful during the bead breaking process, taking the last lip of the tire off and when putting the first lip of the new tire on...

STOC #
I have the Doran system. Mine came with both straight and angled metal stems and the sensor can either be on the outside or inside the tire. Inside the tire you can still use a tire guage without having to take the sensor off.

The unit has a pretty big (ugly) readout but it also has an extension wire with a bright red light onit that can be run to the front. In this case you would have to pull off a panel or (mine is under the seat by by FuzeBlok) to see the actual pressure. As I like to check my pressure before I ride this is fine with me. I treat a TPMS system as an o's..t unit rather than depend upon it to tell me the truth before I start riding.
:slv13:

Byron

STOC #
I currently have the SmarTire on my ST1300 and like it. That being said there is rumor that they no longer offer them for motorcycles but do for cars. The sensors are the same so no sensors souldn't be a problem and they last about 5 years according to the manufacture. I like the setup because the sensor is fairly compact and is held in the valley of the wheel which hasn't caused any problems when mount tires.

I just reviewed the two units that have been mentioned and here are my thoughts on them.

I like the fact you can mount the Doran 360 inside the wheel if you use their valve stems. It prevents it from being stolen as well as moving the weight closer to the axle for less centrifical affect. It does require wiring to the bikes electical system, not really a big deal. The 6 minutes between updates bothers me. You can cover a lot of ground in that amount of time.

With the TireGard system it states you can mount them to a rubber stem but I would not recommend that. They do have an anti-theft device which is good but you will need the allen on the bike at all times so you can put air in the tire if needed. You don't have to worry about this with the SmarTire or if the Doran 360 is mounted internally. I do like the fact that the battery in the display and sensors are user replaceable. That means you're not at the mercy of the manufacture with regard to replacing sensors when the battery dies. Although the TireGard monitor is built like a key fob it would be nice if it offered some form of vehicle mount.

I think I'm going to opt for the TireGard for use on my KLR and my spare set of ST wheels.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I like the fact you can mount the Doran 360 inside the wheel if you use their valve stems. It prevents it from being stolen as well as moving the weight closer to the axle for less centrifical affect.
Seems to me that putting the sensors inside the tire moves them further from the axle, increasing centrifugal effect, or maybe I missed something? :confused:

Byron

STOC #
Seems to me that putting the sensors inside the tire moves them further from the axle, increasing centrifugal effect, or maybe I missed something? :confused:
My bad you are correct. What I was think was that when mounted inside the wheel the stem is shorter that when mounted on the outside. Being shorter it is stronger and would be less prone to breakage than on the end of a longer valve stem. Not that they could break a metal stem in either case.

Guess I need to read my own posts more carefully. :(

Well after finding out that WingStuff is local and after verifying that their store prices are the same as the web prices and they had TireGard's on the shelf I couldn't help myself. :D

It was a pleasant ride down to Lake Forest. The KLR hit reserve while I was S/B on the 605 Fwy before getting to the 405 Fwy. A block before I got there I found a Chevron station on Irvine Blvd./Trabuco Rd..

The folks behind the counter were very pleasant and helpful. Not a big showroom but being in more of an industrial type building I'm sure they have plenty of backroom storage. If it wasn't for the fact I was out on my lunch hour I would have looked around more but I was a man on a mission. :) I can tell this is another place I'll be adding to my GPS address book.

If you don't want to pay a shipping fee just spend a few more dollars and the shipping will be free.

Guess this weekend I'll be figuring out where to mount the monitor on the KLR. For those that can't figure out where to mount the monitor or how to mount it there is another option. I noticed while putting on the caps that the monitor has a vibrate alert beside the visual displays. I'm sure if you carry it in your pants pocket you should feel it vibrate if the alarm goes off. :D

M

Guess this weekend I'll be figuring out where to mount the monitor on the KLR. For those that can't figure out where to mount the monitor or how to mount it there is another option. I noticed while putting on the caps that the monitor has a vibrate alert beside the visual displays. I'm sure if you carry it in your pants pocket you should feel it vibrate if the alarm goes off. :D
Ok, the KLR has tubes in it, unless you coated the rims to put tubeless tires on. I've never seen tubes with valve stems that are metal, your not gonna put those sensors on rubber valve stems are you, if you do, please carry a spare tube.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I haven't purchased a set yet (still got ~5K left on the current tires,) but they look like the best system currently available now that the SmartTire isn't marketed for motorcycles anymore. (My SmartTire sensors were destroyed by improper tire mounting at the shop, and the automotive replacement sensor doesn't seem to work with the MC system.) The Doran allows internal mounting of the sensor, and wiring of the display to the bike's electrical system; both are important in my estimation. The only downside I see is the lack of a temperature indication (probably not critical, but the SmartTire had it,) and the apparent need to use the Doran stems for internal mounting. I'd like to keep my Ariete angled stems, but the ninety degree Dorans look like they're a close second.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has mounted the Doran internally yet.
I have a SmartTire system, and like it a lot. Wondering if your replacement sensor was Gen1 or 2, since they have two types. We've been told the automotive sensors will work, but I'd sure like to know for sure.

I had contacted Doran about using their external sensors on Ariete 90 degree aluminum stems, and they said it should be OK.

If my SmartTire system ceases one day and I can't get sensors, then I'll have to look at something else.........

Joe, always break the bead 90 degrees from the sensors (valve stem) and work your way around...... shouldn't be an issue. With SmartTire, same thing but have to be extra careful.

Byron

STOC #
Ok, the KLR has tubes in it, unless you coated the rims to put tubeless tires on. I've never seen tubes with valve stems that are metal, your not gonna put those sensors on rubber valve stems are you, if you do, please carry a spare tube.
I replaced the factory tires with TKC-80's but the original tubes were re-used and they are metal. I also added rim locks and would run with the valve stem nut backed off against the valve stem cap. However, with the sensor installed I ran the nut back down against the rim to prevent the sensor from moving the valve stem. I figure that if I air down the tires for serious off-road riding that I could either leave the sensors off and back the valve stem nut off so that the valve stem can move a little if a tire does slip on the rim. While running on the street I'm not worried about the tire slipping on the rim so the valve stem nut tightened against the rim seems like the best way to go with the sensors mounted.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well . . . had SmarTire and REALLY liked it. Honda tech broke a sensor while changing tires, even with the sticker on the rim and all. Searched high an low on the net and I couldn't find any replacement sensors, auto or otherwise. Company web site comes up with a heading that the listing is for sale. All phone numbers are no longer in service. So . . . . . . new system.

Bought the Kisan system. Nothing goes inside the tire, valve stem is replaced with their 90 deg stem with a metal of some kind in it. No batteries required on the wheels at all (+ over SmarTire). Sensors (bike powered) are mounted to the side of each wheel where it will "ping" the rotating target on the tire stem and report the readings to the display (also bike powered). It's a sonar system. No batteries needed anywhere.

System for the ST1300 may be the TA50. Mounting kit shown on most sites is the TA10 - NOT IT. I'm working with Andy at Kisan and he's just sent me their TA-50 mounts which I'll check out. Should be good for the rear (nearly identical to the TA-10), but I've made a new caliper bolt for the front brake mount that works "ok" and Andy says he can make an ST1300 specific mount with specs of what I've done. The TA-50 kit for the front is a fork-tube saddle mount that will probably work ok also - just not as elegant in appearance.

I like the display better than the SmarTire one - like seeing both tire readouts at the same time.

More to follow with pics.

Shuey

Last edited:

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Well . . . had SmarTire and REALLY liked it. Honda tech broke a sensor while changing tires, even with the sticker on the rim and all. Searched high an low on the net and I couldn't find any replacement sensors, auto or otherwise. Company web site comes up with a heading that the listing is for sale. All phone numbers are no longer in service. So . . . . . . new system.

Bought the Kisan system. Nothing goes inside the tire, valve stem is replaced with their 90 deg stem with a metal of some kind in it. No batteries required on the wheels at all (+ over SmarTire). Sensors (bike powered) are mounted to the side of each wheel where it will "ping" the rotating target on the tire stem and report the readings to the display (also bike powered). It's a sonar system. No batteries needed anywhere.

System for the ST1300 is the TA30. Mounting kit shown on most sites is the TA10 - NOT IT. I'm working with Andy at Kisan and he's just sent me their TA-30 mounts which I'll check out. Should be good for the rear (nearly identical to the TA-10), but I've made a new caliper bolt for the front brake mount that works "ok" and Andy says he can make an ST1300 specific mount with specs of what I've done. The TA-30 kit for the front is a fork-tube saddle mount that will probably work ok also - just not as elegant in appearance.

I like the display better than the SmarTire one - like seeing both tire readouts at the same time.

More to follow with pics.

Shuey
We need to get a group buy going on the Kisan system. ;)

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
We need to get a group buy going on the Kisan system. ;)
I'll bring it up with Kisan when the mount development is finished (a week or two at most . . . I hope). I think they'd jump at the chance. We'll see.

Shuey

I don't think I mentioned that I currently have all three sensors out there; Smart Tire, Doran, and the Tire Guard.

Smart Tire; out of the motorcycle business so I won't discuss any further.

Doran Advantages:
1. water proof
2. you can mount INSIDE the rim, NO need to remove the sensor to check the air pressure by hand.

Doran Disadvantages:
1. more expensive
2. requires more time to hard wire to battery.

Tire Gard Advantages:
1. less expensive
2. no need to wire to battery

Tire Gard Disadvantages:
1. I don't think you can mount inside the tire, so you must take off the sensor to check the pressure by hand.
2. display unit is NOT waterproof
3. the sensors can be stolen if you don't have the extra locks on them.
4. if you have the locks on them, you have to get the allen wrench out to remove the locks in order to get the sensor off.

Which one do I prefer; your preferences may be different than mine. First, I like them inside the tire, no need to take the allen wrench out of the trunk to get the lock off to get the sensor out. I like having a water proof unit. My pick: Doran.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I'll bring it up with Kisan when the mount development is finished (a week or two at most . . . I hope). I think they'd jump at the chance. We'll see.

Shuey
Shuey:

I'm 'in' on a group buy, if your taking a head count. BTW: Is the display easily visible in direct sun?

Marshal

Top Bottom