Headlight bulbs other than Honda

Bike
2003 ST1300A
1. I'm guessing you mean quality control issues w/ the LED and matching a given LED lamp w/ various headlight reflectors?
2. Guaranteed. Heck, your eyeglass frames went bye bye the day before you broke the ones you love. Your refrigerator's circulating fan or temp control (a pc board) went obsolete the week before your frige stopped working....etc.
3. True, but my tired old eyes seem to see better with Cindy's (Evitek) LED's.

I confess to being a fan of Evitek's leds. I've bought at least half a dozen pairs from them. You can email Cindy directly: Cindy Zhou - cindy@evitekhid.com Bottom line for me is I think I can see better with these LEDs than halogen. YEMV. (your eyes might vary)
I just meant generally in relation to "why would people go back to incandescent lamps".

The Evitek ones are highly reviewed for the ST1300 and they're probably great for it. I'm pinning this for when I need headlight bulbs in the future because that's a route I'll gladly explore.

At the same time, how many people tried another brand first, maybe two, and had worse experiences than the predictable nature of an incandescent/halogen bulb? They're going to stay with what they know works, driven by experience of what didn't.

It's not a condemnation of Cindy's LEDs or your opinion (again, the fact that you're speaking highly of them definitely suggests they work great with the ST1300 reflector design). It's just the realization that for countless people, they're never going to bother again.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
lenses were designed for halogens
This was true of the old designs of led bulbs, but the newer ones that emulated the geometry of the filament made vast improvements.
I have a very large box of bulbs that do not work and those that do. I did the homework.
The proof is in the beam pattern results.
I am using these in H4, H13, 9005, 9006 on all my vehicles and friends with awesome results.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
We almost need a sticky of "approved/recommended" LED bulbs that includes the current newest model as well as earlier models (for those who either can't find the newest model or want a slightly less expensive option.)

I see too many folks say "I bought this kind and it works great" and then others buy the same thing, when the design of the bulb isn't anything like Spidey has said works best. His very large box of bulbs that didn't work speak to that.

The goal here should be to move everyone who wants to be moved, to a brighter bulb that works properly in our headlights, and throws the light properly where it needs to go vs just puking it out all over the place in an improper manner.

The fact we get these ongoing new threads about "what LED bulb to buy" is proof that the increasing various threads on this topic are either confusing folks, overwhelming them, or misleading them.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
9003 and H4 are the same thing.
I belive, but won't swear to it, that they are now for all intents and purposes the same, but they were not initially even though the differences were minor.
Essentially, 9003 is Sylvania's chosen internal code for an H4 bulb.
As I recall H4 is the European designation. It was approved and in use in Europe for quite a while before a similar bulb was made available in North America. It did not meet the US lighting regulations so it had to be adapted to the US regulations to get approval. This altered design was assigned the designation 9003 in the US.
Because Honda didn't install 9003-spec bulbs from factory, 9003-spec bulbs are not legal.
Other way around. Honda didn't install them because they were not legal in the US in the configuration in which they were going to be used on the ST1300. Honda equipped ST1300's with H4 bulbs in most markets in the world other than North America, and before they started selling the ST1300 in North America. It would be logistically and financially advantageous to them to use the same headlamp housing and bulbs in North America as they do in most other markets. If the regulations allowed it, most certainly they would have. They did not do so here because the North American lighting regulations do not allow bulbs which exceed 45 Watts to be used in a headlamp housing of the configuration found on the ST1300.

This is not unique to the ST1300. The same type of bulb that limits maximum Wattage to 45 that is found on North American ST1300's is also found on other motorcycles sold in North America, including from other manufacturers. What I don't know is why this type of headlamp design results in a maximum allowable Wattage of 45. I did look at the regulations once and gave up before I found what the reason is.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I belive, but won't swear to it, that they are now for all intents and purposes the same, but they were not initially even though the differences were minor.

As I recall H4 is the European designation. It was approved and in use in Europe for quite a while before a similar bulb was made available in North America. It did not meet the US lighting regulations so it had to be adapted to the US regulations to get approval. This altered design was assigned the designation 9003 in the US.

Other way around. Honda didn't install them because they were not legal in the US in the configuration in which they were going to be used on the ST1300. Honda equipped ST1300's with H4 bulbs in most markets in the world other than North America, and before they started selling the ST1300 in North America. It would be logistically and financially advantageous to them to use the same headlamp housing and bulbs in North America as they do in most other markets. If the regulations allowed it, most certainly they would have. They did not do so here because the North American lighting regulations do not allow bulbs which exceed 45 Watts to be used in a headlamp housing of the configuration found on the ST1300.

This is not unique to the ST1300. The same type of bulb that limits maximum Wattage to 45 that is found on North American ST1300's is also found on other motorcycles sold in North America, including from other manufacturers. What I don't know is why this type of headlamp design results in a maximum allowable Wattage of 45. I did look at the regulations once and gave up before I found what the reason is.
H4 is the European designation for the bulb standard. 9003 is a trade designation and not a regulatory one. Bulbs distributed in the H4/9003 form factor in the US have to adhere to the regulated-spec of HB2. It is a tighter tolerance than EU-spec H4. Every HB2 is a H4/9003 bulb. Not every H4/9003 is an HB2.

We're on the same page on why the American-spec ST doesn't have H4/9003/HB2 bulbs. The configuration designed did not permit an H4 because of maximum wattage in a DOT-spec headlight housing of that volume. So Honda commissioned a custom 45W bulb rather than the 55W or 65W common from H4 bulbs, and that was that. The bike was not designed with US DOT regulations in mind for the headlight housing to accommodate the H4-spec bulb. If it had been, they could have opted for an HS5 for essentially the same performance and within the regulation. But as to why it's not legal to install a 903/H4/HB2 now, even though lower-wattage options exist, it's because it's not the bulb spec the bike was shipped with.

Basically, the US was a spillover market for the bike and it was haphazardly adapted after the fact to sell here. We only need to look at the NT1100 to realize Honda doesn't see the US as a market craving sport-tourers in enough volume to jump through the regulatory hoops.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
We almost need a sticky of "approved/recommended" LED bulbs that includes the current newest model as well as earlier models (for those who either can't find the newest model or want a slightly less expensive option.)

I see too many folks say "I bought this kind and it works great" and then others buy the same thing, when the design of the bulb isn't anything like Spidey has said works best. His very large box of bulbs that didn't work speak to that.

The goal here should be to move everyone who wants to be moved, to a brighter bulb that works properly in our headlights, and throws the light properly where it needs to go vs just puking it out all over the place in an improper manner.

The fact we get these ongoing new threads about "what LED bulb to buy" is proof that the increasing various threads on this topic are either confusing folks, overwhelming them, or misleading them.
1000% agree.

I've bought 9006 Bulbs on Amazon that were perfect in the car I had at the time. After an unfortunate rock through a lens and replacing the housing with an identical housing, I bought the same bulb from the same brand, having simply opened the page through my purchase history, and it was different on every front. Different manufacturing technique, different chip, everything. Raw disappointment all around.

And when all was said and done, I got some decent-quality halogens from Autozone and called it a day. I didn't want a box of "almost" bulbs.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
better be carefull the headlight police are everywhere
Don't blind others with your lights and headlight police will never give you a first look let alone a second. There aren't enough headlight police. You don't need them to tell you light that's not where you need it doesn't do you any good.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The configuration designed did not permit an H4 because of maximum wattage in a DOT-spec headlight housing of that volume.
This is what I am curious about, the reason for the restriction to a maximum of 45 Watts. Are you certain that the volume of the headlamp housing is the determinant of the maximum permissible Wattage? I ask because there are other motorcycles with what appear to be smaller headlamp housings that use the standard H4 bulb, some that have really small single lamp configurations, so I wonder if that is the reason. As I wrote, I gave up trying to figure out the truth after reading a lot of the gobbledygook that is in the regulations with nothing to show for it but frustration.
So Honda commissioned a custom 45W bulb rather than the 55W or 65W common from H4 bulbs, and that was that.
The bulb used in the North American ST1300 is not proprietary to Honda, or unique to the ST1300 or Honda motorcycles for that matter. There are other motorcycle manufacturers that use the same 45 Watt bulb in North America, presumably for the same reason whatever that may be. Forums for those motorcycles also have threads asking about alternative bulbs just like we have on this forum.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
This is what I am curious about, the reason for the restriction to a maximum of 45 Watts. Are you certain that the volume of the headlamp housing is the determinant of the maximum permissible Wattage? I ask because there are other motorcycles with what appear to be smaller headlamp housings that use the standard H4 bulb, some that have really small single lamp configurations, so I wonder if that is the reason. As I wrote, I gave up trying to figure out the truth after reading a lot of the gobbledygook that is in the regulations with nothing to show for it but frustration.

The bulb used in the North American ST1300 is not proprietary to Honda, or unique to the ST1300 or Honda motorcycles for that matter. There are other motorcycle manufacturers that use the same 45 Watt bulb in North America, presumably for the same reason whatever that may be. Forums for those motorcycles also have threads asking about alternative bulbs just like we have on this forum.
The problem with getting to the bottom is that CFR updates happen annually and there aren't many records maintained from 20+ years ago that are easily accessible.

I don't believe it's specifically that 45W is more than is allowable for the volume so much as the 5W position bulb in the same housing pushes it too high.

H4 bulbs can be 65W within spec, so the housing would have to be DOT-rated for 140W total (two position bulbs and two max-spec H4 bulbs).

If there weren't position bulbs in a shared housing, then it would adjust overhead significantly.

I'm not seeing other motorcycles with the same H4 variant bulbs being used; if there were other manufacturers going down the same path, then it would be a choice to source one of those bulbs for the ST1300. Unfortunately, there's nobody popping in here saying "the bulb from a Vulcan is a perfect fit at $14 a piece" or similar.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'm not seeing other motorcycles with the same H4 variant bulbs being used; if there were other manufacturers going down the same path, then it would be a choice to source one of those bulbs for the ST1300. Unfortunately, there's nobody popping in here saying "the bulb from a Vulcan is a perfect fit at $14 a piece" or similar.
There is no point to using the bulb from one of these other manufacturers as they are all 45 Watts as well, which is why they are also looking for different bulbs that will fit their housings the same as owners of ST's, both the 1100 and the 1300 variant, have been doing for years.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't blind others with your lights and headlight police will never give you a first look let alone a second. There aren't enough headlight police. You don't need them to tell you light that's not where you need it doesn't do you any good.
For me the headlight police are all around me. They are the motorists I share the roadways with. For my part I never (well, exceedingly rarely) get flashed by annoyed drivers with the LED lights I have installed but I occasionally get flashed when I'm in the CX-5 with stock LED lighting. My Wing, RT, and NC all have aftermarket LEDs in the stock fixtures and each has auxiliary LED lights for increased visibility to others.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My Wing, RT, and NC all have aftermarket LEDs in the stock fixtures and each has auxiliary LED lights for increased visibility to others.
My car and my ST have LED headlights — F2s for my car and G2s for the ST. I took the time to aim them properly and haven't been flashed yet.

I will note that there's a particular street I drive where traffic is stopped at a light on a slight incline. So any car at the limit line in either direction is pointing up slightly. I see LEDs are much brighter at that angle then incans. When the light changes the brightness 'returns to normal' so to speak and all's well.

Top Bottom