Headlight LED -- F2 vs F3 vs NB35

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There are LED bulbs that have more power than the F2 LED bulb.

F2 is 33 watts.
F3 is 44 watts.
NB35 is 44 watts.
They both produce 33% more power than the F2. So they are brighter but....

You cannot compare these by which has the highest peak brightness.
The F2 and the F3 have about the same peak brightness in the beam pattern.

In order to increase the power, they used a larger led chip in the F3.
This makes the beam pattern larger and spreads out the light.

You can see in the photos that the F3 chip and beam pattern is slightly wider and taller than the F2.
The F3 spreads out it's extra lumens on the sides of the road and has a slightly taller beam pattern.

Now 33% more light over the F2 is a barely perceivable improvement.
When I swapped in the F3 in place of the F2, at first, I did not think there was any improvement.
It was not until I got out the light meter and made measurements that I found there was a 20% improvement.
I then ran the F3 on the left side and the F2 on the right side of the bike, then I could just notice the slightly broader pattern of the F3.
Look at the size of the patterns in the photo. These and more patterns can be found in a video from Headlight Revolution. Thanks Chris!

I was a little concerned that the F3 ran hotter and had a smaller fan and heatsink.
But after six months, 200 hours, 7000 miles of riding it is holding up, the red plating did not fade.
We will see if it makes it through the heat of summer.

There is also the NB35 which uses two rows of three LEDs in the chip. This makes a taller beam pattern but not wider.
This type of beam is better for off road or rough roads where the rider wants to see more of road closer in.
However close in light does reduce the ability to see far down the road.

I think that the F2 still has the best long distance beam pattern.
The F3 is a good improvement by putting more light on the sides of the road and a little more on the road.

I included a picture of the B6 LED. It has a wide thin beam. It did a great job of really lighting up the sides of the road.
However, it did not have the focus or the power of the F2, so it did not really get us to 300 feet.
It was a science experiment that helped to get us here.

This is where the LED can be so much better than the halogen bulb.
The old halogen system had to super focus all of its light to barley reach 150 feet of road on low beam.
A tiny spot of light is fine if you drive on flat, straight roads.....
The halogen low beam fails to give enough light to travel safely at 70 mph.
This is why the halogen low beam pattern is so poor.
The F2 solved this problem by providing the necessary Photopic lux at 300 feet, The reaction and stopping distance required at 70 MPH.
This is the prime reason to upgrade to LED's. Glare is minimized by design equivalence!

Again, the improvement is slight. Do not let it make a hole in your wallet like It did mine. I do not make any money on this.
This information is here for those who want to upgrade to LEDs and are wondering which is the best. The answer is no.
These are all good, but slightly different. Choose the one that fits what you need for your riding environment.

It is good that we now have more choices.
If you have the F2 then save your money for gas and ride on......

4ledsX.jpg

f2vf3.jpg

If you are looking for the most current bulb you can look over at Bulbfacts.com. Blaise does a good job of making consistent measured comparisons and you can sort through his data to find a better bulb. If you look in the upper right-hand corner of his data you will find the raw LUMEN number (this is the most important attribute), then look at the power number in watts then look at the low beam LUX. Then carefully look at the shape of the LED emitter and the construction of the bulb.

Again newer LEDs put out more lumens per watt than older ones. So the most power might not be the most Raw Lumens.

Yes. I really like the F3, it is a winner.....

Last edited:

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Thanks for the info.
This VFR I just got has halogen bulbs. It’s hard to imagine that I ever rode with this little light.
My trusted source on Amazon is out of stock.
Where should I buy F2 lights now?

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
f2

f3

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
@spiderman302

Thanks to the work that you have done on LED lighting, I am happily using Evitek G6 LED bulbs and benefiting from the improvements that you developed. Because of the information that you have shared on this forum, I know what to look for when shopping for 9003/H4 LED bulbs to make sure that they will have the proper beam pattern.

I am know looking for F2 LED bulbs in the H7 configuration. I am not certain of what, if anything, I should be looking for that makes an equally good quality LED H7 bulb.
Is there something in particular that I should be looking for?

The bike is a BMW which has CanBus. I don't know if that changes anything regarding which bulbs can be used.
Here is what I was about to order before I decided to check with you.
Is this what I want? KaTur H7 Led Headlight Bulbs

Thank you for any information that you may be able to provide, and the work that you have done in developing better LED bulbs.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
It looks like the Ka tur may have the correct recipe of the F2. The long but Thin led is the best geometry for putting the most light down the road. The thin double side circuit board gets the back to back leds closest to the focus point. I think it might be the M2 which is the mini F2. Same as the F2 but 28 watts, with a smaller heat sink. It claims to work with CanBus but I have nothing to verify that. All my vehicles are 18 years or older. They might flicker if run as DRLs. This can be fixed by bypassing the DRL diodes or adding a 1,000 uf capacitor. My daughters car does this. The flicker is subtle so I left it be. The flicker goes away when you turn on the lights. you should be good. Let me know how it works out.

Wow glad you are still running the G6. It must be 6 years old.
The only thing I did was turn a boat around and got it headed in the right direction and the others followed.
I did not and will not make any money on this, but the world is a brighter place for everyone.....

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I installed them in September of 2017, so four years now. They are still working fine and are a great improvement over the upgraded halogens that I had installed. One of the biggest differences that I noticed is that they reflect off of road-side reflective material far better than any other light that I have ever had on any vehicle. The reflected light is so noticeable that it makes following the road in low visibility conditions far easier and safer, and it makes reading road signs much easier.

When I do a search for M2, pretty much all of the same results come up. I'll order the ones that I linked to above and I'll let you know how they worked out.

Thank you again for your expertise in developing these, and for letting us know about them.

Bike
2010 ST1300A
@spiderman302 Are the F2 bulbs you linked to above plug/play replacements for the stock bulbs? Thank you for your expertise!

Also, awhile back I came across an LED tail light bulb replacement that also provided 3 or 5 initial quick flashes and then went to solid but I didn't save the link and can't find it now. Does anyone have any idea about that?

Thank you,
Dave

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It looks like the Ka tur may have the correct recipe of the F2. The long but Thin led is the best geometry for putting the most light down the road. The thin double side circuit board gets the back to back leds closest to the focus point.
The update that I promised you.

Firstly, this was for a 2009 BMW R1200RT. The owner's manual called for H7 55W bulbs. No mention of any CanBus restrictions, so that concern was a non starter as any regular bulb works.

The H7 LED's have been installed. We have just returned from a four day trip and the difference between these LED's and the Halogen that were in there, even though they were upgraded higher wattage halogen, is incredible. The LED's fill the entire reflector with bright white light which vastly improves visibility to oncoming drivers, so they provide increased safety as well.
They have a very well defined cut-off, so they don't blind oncoming drivers either. The right-hand up-tilt of light makes road signs very easy to see.

They provide much better lighting than the halogen did. They are a great improvement, and the owner is very happy with the increased light that they are providing for him.

Thank you again for all of your efforts in improving vehicle lighting, and your willingness to share the information for the benefit of all of us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom