Heated socks question.

Got a set of heated socks to complete the set. Do the heated socks go over your regular socks or worn in place of regular socks. Dumb question but I don't know the answer.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I always wear a thin pair under the heated socks I don't like to have any heated gear right against my skin.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Definitely a thin pair. You might also look at heated inner soles as another option. The old style heated socks were very warm but very uncomfortable after a while with the old style wires. I hope the newer versions have much thinner heating elements.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I hope the newer versions have much thinner heating elements.
They are much better Phil you cant feel the wires and the foot of the sock is a bit thicker/padded I can wear them all day with no discomfort. The old ones wires would cut into my toes.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Wouldn't mind a pair of these socks either, the only place I get cold is the feet, though I suppose a heated vest and seat would be great too but that might be taking it too far:)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wouldn't mind a pair of these socks either, the only place I get cold is the feet, though I suppose a heated vest and seat would be great too but that might be taking it too far:)
You would be amazed at the difference a heated jacket and gloves will make. Opens up the riding season to year round unless there is ice and snow. ;-)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
They are much better Phil you cant feel the wires and the foot of the sock is a bit thicker/padded I can wear them all day with no discomfort. The old ones wires would cut into my toes.
Steve - Which brand do you have (for future reference)? I found these work well on my ST1100s for keeping my feet warmer -

http://www.vpaccessories.com/misc_.htm

the rainshields but the ones for the ST1300 didn't work at all for Michael Moore.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Either the Gerbings socks (high cut) or the Warm&Safe (lower cut) probably should go directly on your foot. They are washable synthetic material and like Steve said, have a bit of a padded sole. So, anything you would put under or over will tend to fill up your boots maybe too tight unless they are really thin. Too tight is not good, you want circulation in your extremeties. BTDT.
And as UP is implying, deflectors to keep that cold air off is a good thing. I used to have a clip-on set for the Goldwing, worked great....

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just bought the Gerbing heated socks. They are designed to go directly on your skin. Putting socks over them will make the boot too cramped unless you buy larger boots just for this. Putting socks between your foot and the Gerbing will decrease the heating ability of the sock. It works best when touching your skin. Use a temperature controller to get the level of heat you want.

I'm not saying that you can't wear socks under the Gerbings sock. I'm just saying that it wasn't designed to make that much heat, so you might not feel the warmth if you do that.

Joel

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Warm&Safe (lower cut) probably should go directly on your foot. They are washable synthetic material and like Steve said, have a bit of a padded sole.
W-n-S socks are designed to go over a thin sock. No padding at all on them, they are different from the Gerbins in looks and function.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I don't like the idea of heating elements right next to my skin I will continuue to wear a thin sock under the Gerbing socks they work fine for me.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
Guys, how durable are the Gerbing sox?

My wife & I are considering them for our new ski boots. In the past we have used Hotronic boot heaters, but they require cutting the boot liner to insert the heating element under the ball of the foot.

I am not wanting to do this on the new boots.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Guys, how durable are the Gerbing sox?

My wife & I are considering them for our new ski boots. In the past we have used Hotronic boot heaters, but they require cutting the boot liner to insert the heating element under the ball of the foot.

I am not wanting to do this on the new boots.
Hmm, with the new 'Gerbing' company (or Gyde or whatever they are called), I really don't know the answer or what kind of warranty they will stand behind.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Been wearing the socks now over my issued socks and they are fine. Feet stay comfortable, can't feel the warmth but don't feel the cold either. Temps have only been 28-32 though. I'm happy thus far. I tried wearing the heated socks on my bare feet but didn't care for it. Now I love riding in the winter early morning hours. Damn the heated jacket heats up.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
You might also look at heated inner soles as another option.
+1 ... I never cared much for the idea of "wired" socks, but the Gerbings heated insoles have been great. If the bottoms of my feet are warm, that warm rises inside my boot and my feet remain very comfortable. I use an unheated insole during warmer months, so there's no change in material thickness (or discomfort) when I switch to the heated insoles.

Top Bottom