Hello, from Belgium

Hi, I just bought a '96 ST1100. It seems ok, certainly better than the 2013 Goldwing I bought 4 years ago, thinking that Goldwing owners look after their bikes right? Wrong!
I have two things to ask, not sure of the protocol or where to post them.
First there is a metallic rattle when going over bumps, it sounds like it's on the right near the front but I can't find anything loose.
Second the steering seems very light "floaty" not sure if that's normal. It tracks ok, corners ok, tips in quick, no fork leaks or anything like that. It just passed inspection which is very thorough here, with no advisories.

Metallic rattle near the front is possibly the heat shield plate that is atteched to the down pipes. Theya re atatched by 5 small bolts, and often the metal plate breaks areounf the bolt head, leaving the rest of the plate to rattle around. It probably rattle at around the 2000 rpm range too.

Easy to check, When the engine is cold follow the bend of the exhaust pipe with your hand. About half way up you will feel the metallic edge. Twang it like you would as a naughty kid in class twanging a steel ruler on the edge of the desk. If it is dead or rattles - there is a crack in there.

If undoing the bolts, make sure that they are well doused in penetrating fluid. They have been there for a long time, and they are (from memory) 5mm threads with a 10mm hex head - so will break easily.

The other answer, which is much easier to diagnose. It's your keys rattling around in the faring pocket.

Light and floaty. I've never felt that on the 1100. But try setting your suspension to the correct pre-load for your weight. If it is too high, it lifts the rear end of the bike which tilts the fork under the bike, making the steering seem 'quicker'. Cue Dave.

Also just check that your front wheel has been installed following the correct sequence. If not followed exactly, it can end up with the wheel being able to slide slightly on the axle. This will not necessarily have been picked up at the test. There is an animation here which I created for the 1300 to illustrate the process. The components for your 1100 are different, but the idea is the same.

This is for the 1300, not the 1100 - so follow the gist of it, rather than the detail. You have a spacer and a speedo drive gear rather than spacers. The principle is the same.

Last edited:
Metallic rattle near the front is possibly the heat shield plate that is atteched to the down pipes. Theya re atatched by 5 small bolts, and often the metal plate breaks areounf the bolt head, leaving the rest of the plate to rattle around. It probably rattle at around the 2000 rpm range too.

Easy to check, When the engine is cold follow the bend of the exhaust pipe with your hand. About half way up you will feel the metallic edge. Twang it like you would as a naughty kid in class twanging a steel ruler on the edge of the desk. If it is dead or rattles - there is a crack in there.

If undoing the bolts, make sure that they are well doused in penetrating fluid. They have been there for a long time, and they are (from memory) 5mm threads with a 10mm hex head - so will break easily.

The other answer, which is much easier to diagnose. It's your keys rattling around in the faring pocket.

Light and floaty. I've never felt that on the 1100. But try setting your suspension to the correct pre-load for your weight. If it is too high, it lifts the rear end of the bike which tilts the fork under the bike, making the steering seem 'quicker'. Cue Dave.

Also just check that your front wheel has been installed following the correct sequence. If not followed exactly, it can end up with the wheel being able to slide slightly on the axle. This will not necessarily have been picked up at the test. There is an animation here which I created for the 1300 to illustrate the process. The components for your 1100 are different, but the idea is the same.

This is for the 1300, not the 1100 - so follow the gist of it, rather than the detail. You have a spacer and a speedo drive gear rather than spacers. The principle is the same.

Well you nailed it. I released the front axle nut and pinch nuts, then tightened them in the order shown in your video.
The floaty "shimmy" when turning into a corner, getting on the gas or when entering other vehicle turbulence, has gone. It was never unstable as such but I didn't have confidence in the front end. It now rides how I thought an ST should ride.
Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom