Here we go again!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Removed the right side fairing to replace my horn. (I bought a louder one online) Then I noticed some antifreeze that had leaked out onto the front cover lately, looks like from the square hole.
I changed the thermostat with the gasket and tightened all the hose clamps I could find, less than 5000kms ago and again there is a another leak. Maybe its my pump gasket?
Here we go again!

Attachments

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Perhaps monitor the level of the coolant in the overflow bottle (the reservoir) for a week or two before taking any action.

What you might be seeing is residue (dried coolant) that accumulated on the floor in the valley between the V of the cylinders being washed out of there, rather than fresh leakage.

Michael

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The manual says that some leakage is normal. I read that they (Honda) had been replacing seals under warranty unnecessarily due to dealers seeing this and making claims. Later models have a metal tube, not a hole, and a drainage hose so that small leaks are not as Obvious and drain onto the road. As Michael says, the larger problem leaks become obvious as the fluid level drops.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I did notice that the overflow bottle was a bit low. I saw it when I was removing the spark plugs to check the condition and gap. I topped it off then noticed the antifreeze residue on the front cover after removing the fairings to access my horn. I might remove the rad just to see if I can see where it's coming from.

Thanks

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did you replace the clamps with constant tension clamps or simply tighten the old ones. I've seen reports in other threads of no leaks for years after the change. Of course, anecdotal evidence is not a gold standard, but those narrow clamps that Honda uses seem to me to be significantly different than the wider worm gear type used on millions of cars. And AF leaks never plagued me (on my cars) nor have I heard of them being a known issue for cars.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Can I ask what is that rubber hose running across the the front and under the headers?

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm still using the original hose clamps. I replaced a few of them but haven't made the switch yet to the wider clamps. I've owned more than a few motorcycles, ATV's with similar sized clamps and never ever had to touch them. Not sure why the ST is so suseptable to leaks?
Whooshka, I'm at work now so I can't see my bike bit I'm assuming it's a drain hose. Does your ST not have the same set up?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm at a complete loss as to why ST's have an issue with coolant drips. You made a good point, and I also noted the same about autos. I suspect heat build up and packing parts into a small space might have something to do with it.

Just for giggles, I walked out to my garage and lifted the hood on my '89 Honda Accord. This has about the same hp as my ST parked next to it, and I saw only worm drive stainless steel clamps on every visible cooling system hose. Sure, my mechanic might have (probably) changed these over the years, but a few look mighty dirty and are down and hard to reach while the top radiator clamp and hose look shiny and new. I would say that I've never had a coolant leak on this car, but if I do say that, there will be a puddle under the car tomorrow morning, so my lips are sealed.

jbird24

The manual says that some leakage is normal. I read that they (Honda) had been replacing seals under warranty unnecessarily due to dealers seeing this and making claims. Later models have a metal tube, not a hole, and a drainage hose so that small leaks are not as Obvious and drain onto the road. As Michael says, the larger problem leaks become obvious as the fluid level drops.
Where and in what manual, the owners or service manual?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Where and in what manual, the owners or service manual?
Good question. It took me ages to find it - I thought that I must have made it up. It's not in my 2002/2004 service manual. It's not in the common service manual. Those sources both say that if there is a leak then the mechanical seal needs to be replaced. I was beginning to seriously question my sanity.

But I found it eventually. Here it is - in the November 2010 revision to the service manual.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
but haven't made the switch yet to the wider clamps.
Firstly,,, how well does the new horn work ??

I did buy some constant tension hose clamps,, a couple of years back,,, but still have not used them. The reason being that once I was under the hood,, I saw the old hoses were seriously compressed at the narrower width of the oem clamps. So I figured,, that the wider cp (constant pressure) clamps would do best with new hoses, which is a bigger job. In the interim,,, I just tightened the old oem clamps up,,, like real good. I was not worried about damaging the hoses,, as my plan was to replace them with new anyway. That was like 2+ years ago,,, with no leaks since. Maybe a drip here or there,, but nothing significant,,, and I ride below freezing (but I have a heated a heated garage). So it's all food for thought,,, cheers,, CAt'

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
The horn sounds more like a car and not like the road runner! So far so good! :) I'll be able to know better when all the fairings are on and I'm driving down the road.

I never had any coolant on the floor so my leak isn't significant, but I could faintly smell coolant when sitting in traffic. I looked it all over today and only saw mild spots of coolant residue. I may have another look in there from the top, if I get into another throttle body sync again. I've already changed a few hoses so far so I'm hoping the mild leaking is somewhat normal like what was mentioned.

I lightly snugged up the coolant clamps I could access and I am starting to assemble. While I had the rad off, I washed it out with soapy water. I hope this helps the air flow and lowers the engine temp. The heat on my legs is getting noticeable again.

Kevin

Top Bottom